UBCO- Glenmore connector, finally!

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: UBCO- Glenmore connector, finally!

Post by GordonH »

baldmofo wrote:Morals dont come from authority, they come from rational thought and reflection. By riding my bike on a road, i am not impeding anyone's access to the road. No damage to it either. Should i fall and be injured, you can bet the farm i won't be blaming anyone but myself. I've yet to read one good rational reason why cyclists shouldn't use the road other than 'because it's the law'. We have a duty to protest unjust laws and unreasonable restrictions on our liberties.

To you private property means absolutely nothing.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
spooker

Post by spooker »

We have to realize that the easement that was being used as a shortcut from Curtis Rd to the campus was not a public road ... it is a shared piece of land outlined by the agreement that the property owners have with each other so that they can access their lots ...

So, no, the regular rights of cyclists and non-residents that we enjoy most other places on the city infrastructure don't apply ... that's what the courts have upheld ... whether we feel that it's morally wrong we cannot refute the law of the land ... that road leads to human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together ... mass hysteria!

In the same way if someone wanted to use my backyard to get to my neighbour's house ... no, they're not driving through there so they wouldn't cause damage but neither would I want to look out my kitchen window and see random people walking over my lawn ...

We can lament the fact that there wasn't a solution that could have allowed it to be used as a shortcut but that's not the best use of our efforts ... we need to help stump for the RailTrail fundraising (matching funds for Oct, donate now! yes, I have a monthly donation setup personally) ... we need to put in service requests to the City to motivate them to find an alternative as quickly as possible ...
northglenmore2012
Fledgling

Post by northglenmore2012 »

Grandan,
I was very surprised at your response to my post in regards to the storm drain capture on the new Hindle dr. , "evidently......" . Normally you don't throw "slights" so quickly. My post was a response to the only information I had available, the overview of the plans for the new road to UBC. I saw no indication of a dry well and French drains extending from the catch basin. If indeed this is the case, great, but unless you have access to detailed engineering drawings for this project I would not assume that a drywell and French drains are normally installed on road construction as the cost is regarded a unnecessary and prohibitive. So you must have the detailed drawings of this particular project with the stationing and if you wouldn't mind, please share them with us as it would lessen some of our concerns.
Thanks
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

northglenmore2012 wrote:Grandan,
I was very surprised at your response to my post in regards to the storm drain capture on the new Hindle dr. , "evidently......" . Normally you don't throw "slights" so quickly. My post was a response to the only information I had available, the overview of the plans for the new road to UBC. I saw no indication of a dry well and French drains extending from the catch basin. If indeed this is the case, great, but unless you have access to detailed engineering drawings for this project I would not assume that a drywell and French drains are normally installed on road construction as the cost is regarded a unnecessary and prohibitive. So you must have the detailed drawings of this particular project with the stationing and if you wouldn't mind, please share them with us as it would lessen some of our concerns.
Thanks

I spent 40 years in the field of civil engineering including 30 years plus in Kelowna. The Kelowna design standard the last time I looked was for storm drains to be perforated, laid in drainrock filled trenches ending in drywells that are also perforated and drain rock filled. It is a standard detail intended to keep water in the ground instead of pouring overland to a watercourse where it can deposit solids and other nasty stuff. As preliminary drawings, they would not typically contain the detail necessary to build the road and ancillary structures. When the contract is finally tendered we will see what the design calls for.
Waste not
northglenmore2012
Fledgling

Post by northglenmore2012 »

Hey Grandan, that sounds pretty reasonable to me and fairly accurate within the municipal drainage guidelines. Provincial and Federal highway guidelines tend to differ but does not pertain to this roadway. I would assume within the municipality if it was possible to connect to the storm system, it would be done. I guess we just have to wait for the final design drawings and I wouldn't know how to access them anyways. Just keeping an eye on the COK.
Cheers
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Just a side note of what happened before at Robert lake.
There was a garbage dump at the end of the lake..south end I think
And there used to be a dock on it, and a fellow used to fly in with a floatplane, and tie up there, and walk over to visit relatives.
I can remember it being dry,and riding a motorcycle around on it..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Damien
Fledgling

Post by Damien »

Does anyone have any 'insider updates' they'd care to share. As a homeowner in the immediate proximity from where the new road will join on Glenmore Rd i'm very interested in hearing anything that is going on with this project.

Cheers,

Damien
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Damien wrote:Does anyone have any 'insider updates' they'd care to share. As a homeowner in the immediate proximity from where the new road will join on Glenmore Rd i'm very interested in hearing anything that is going on with this project.

Cheers,

Damien

I suggest you check the "City of Kelowna" website. https://www.kelowna.ca/
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Damien
Fledgling

Post by Damien »

I am aware of all the public information.

Thank-you.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Sounds like it might go ahead if this snow ever stops!
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#191264
Waste not
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Another beautiful area about to go down in flames.

I am so glad we got to photograph the he ll out of it for "befores", for memory. So I can post them on "Do you remember Kelowna when..." threads.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Queen K wrote:Another beautiful area about to go down in flames.

I am so glad we got to photograph the he ll out of it for "befores", for memory. So I can post them on "Do you remember Kelowna when..." threads.

I remember when we moved from downtown to Orchard Park in 1981, people asked why we were moving way the hell and gone out there! In 15 years the traffic got totally gawd awful. Now after 20 years in N Glenmore the same is happening here. John Hindle drive is about 10 years late due to OCP bungling by the city.
Waste not
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:cry: I can hold two truths in my head at the same time.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I question on whether or not they get the interchanges at Glenmore Rd. and the Landfill entrance right.
With true interchanges or just stop gap with more useless, poorly co-ordinated traffic lights.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Damien
Fledgling

Post by Damien »

Looks like all those souls that bought into the "Yaletown" condo on Glenmore by the dump are going to benefit greatly.

A quick, direct link to UBC will be desirable to students and for staff. Easier access to the airport too...

Return to “Central Okanagan”