UBCO- Glenmore connector, finally!

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: UBCO- Glenmore connector, finally!

Post by Grandan »

marshp0 wrote:I can't wait for this project to start.
We have been waiting a few years. We are the head geotech's on this project.
It will be great to finally have a connection to the hwy from Glenmore Road. Well needed.
Sexsmith gets very bogged up with university traffic so this will help alleviate it. Not to mention it will make it easier for students to bike to school.

The only thing you need to know about John Hindle Dr. is Glenmore Clay, lots of it and it goes deep. It does not absorb runoff and is sticky when wet. Be prepared to walk around with 2 lbs of mud on your boots! One of our test holes was 16 ft deep and it was clay all the way to the bottom.
This project is a good 5 years behind where it should be. The residents of Valley Road N- Sexsmith neighbourhood have been under assault by the thousands of vehicles that use this corridor daily. It will be a relief for residents to see this traffic diverted to John Hindle Dr. In my opinion this is the most needed road in Kelowna.
It is too bad that this road was not built sooner, it would have provided an alternate route during construction of the 6 laning of Hwy 97 at Sexsmith, now that area is going to be a zoo.
Waste not
Damien
Fledgling

Post by Damien »

Bump - any updates in general or official word that the clay is going to be an issue?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Damien wrote:Bump - any updates in general or official word that the clay is going to be an issue?

I doubt that the clay issue will be much of an obstacle, given practically all of Glenmore sits on it, yet it's riddled with roads and structures.

They simply have to build properly for conditions.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

I spoke with someone at the City of Kelowna yesterday who suggested that John Hindle Dr would not be built until the autumn of 2016, anyone in the know on this?
Damien wrote:Bump - any updates in general or official word that the clay is going to be an issue?

I've never seen clay being an issue in road building, it is easy digging and proper engineering will ensure that there never will be issues.
Waste not
kelbear25
Fledgling

Post by kelbear25 »

They have started clearing the land for John Hindle Drive by the university. Last update we had at UBCO was that they are still in final design phase and completion for winter 2018.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

kelbear25 wrote:They have started clearing the land for John Hindle Drive by the university. Last update we had at UBCO was that they are still in final design phase and completion for winter 2018.

Too bad, we are going through hell on the Valley Road N / Sesxsmith corridor with all the traffic. Seems that some of the pet projects in the Mission have bumped JHD along a bit.
Waste not
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

kelbear25 wrote:They have started clearing the land for John Hindle Drive by the university. Last update we had at UBCO was that they are still in final design phase and completion for winter 2018.

Grandan wrote:Too bad, we are going through hell on the Valley Road N / Sesxsmith corridor with all the traffic. Seems that some of the pet projects in the Mission have bumped JHD along a bit.

Just move to the Mission, problem solved.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
kelbear25
Fledgling

Post by kelbear25 »

Yes not great timing as they will be doing the widening on hiway 97, redoing reids corner, building the new sub developments on academy hill behind sexsmith, and john hindle drive over the next year. Getting to the university area or sexsmith area will be worse before it gets better. And yes as I understand it the priority had to shift to lakeshore rd project over john hindle, so hence the delay.
Wave101
Fledgling

Post by Wave101 »

I wonder if it only Canada takes 10 years to build 2km of road or if this happens in other countries as well.
Damien
Fledgling

Post by Damien »

Oh well, I will just be happy when it's all done. Selfishly as a property owner in the immediate area.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby Damien » Yesterday, 4:01 pm

Oh well, I will just be happy when it's all done.

You get the weekly peaceful Canadian award Damien. "Good on you".
mmt

Post by mmt »

Does anyone know Clydesdale Rd and Academy way now connected too? It seems connected on google map, but like a gravel road. Are we allowed to use that road to avoid the highway?
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

mmt wrote:Does anyone know Clydesdale Rd and Academy way now connected too? It seems connected on google map, but like a gravel road. Are we allowed to use that road to avoid the highway?

Last time I was up that way, maybey a month ago. The road was finished but not open. Not sure what they're waiting on. What i do know though is a lot of traffic trying to navigate through the sol terra ranch subdivision is probably not a good thing. The roads are only wide enough for one vehicle at a time and are congested with parked cars. And trying to get on and off sexmith already sucks at the best of times.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
mmt

Post by mmt »

You're absolutely right about Sexsmith. Good to know about driving through sol terra ranch subdivision. Thanks!
Also wondering about that private section of Curtis Road around the Robert Lake? Can public use driving that road in day times? Has anyone use it?
I have 2 - 1st year UBCO girls from my hubby's side going to live with us next year and finding a best route to get to that school to drop them off for the first months till they get familiar with school and find their favorite way to deal with it.
Last edited by mmt on Jun 19th, 2016, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drex1999
Board Meister

Post by drex1999 »

The only way to UBCO by vehicle is the highway

Return to “Central Okanagan”