Yard Waste Pickup and Clear Bags Everywhere?

kelowna_proud
Fledgling

Yard Waste Pickup and Clear Bags Everywhere?

Post by kelowna_proud »

Driving around Kelowna I have noticed lot's of houses putting out clear bags filled with yard waste at the curb. Have they re-introduced the old-school system of picking up clear bags with yard waste? Or have I gone back in a time warp to 2005?
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Yard Waste Pickup and Clear Bags Everywhere?

Post by Catri »

I've noticed this too, there doesn't seem to be a special bag pickup in the works so I'm going to say it's just people that don't realise they're responsible to get rid of the leaves themselves. Lots of new folks in town don't get the lowdown on our paltry, restrictive (and naturally contracted out) waste services.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Just got off the phone with the "Kelowna Garbage Explainer". He advised that the last yard waste pick-up of the year is for the one (green lid) containers only. It does not include yard waste in clear plastic bags as it did a few years back.

The good thing is that a resident can take their own additional yard waste to the new dump for free, as we have been doing since the "green lids" came into being. Not sure if that includes commercial operations or not.

The "man with the answers" I phone every time I have a question about garbage, recycle or yard waste is 250-868-3211. Have not been able to stump him so far including things like how to easily determine if a plant pot goes into garbage or recycle.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

6 bags here sitting in our driveway. 2 guys roll up in a older dodge pickup truck, grab the bags, load up and im stood there unloading the car watching the whole thing.

Too efficient and scruffy looking to be affiliated with the city so wasnt sure what to make of it.

... i did make a comment about somthing or other and the one guy said there was a small crew of them around town grabbing bagged yard waste for compost for their garlic farm.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM

Return to “Central Okanagan”