Voter Turnout

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Voter Turnout

Post by the truth »

imo ,most people do not vote, because most of the people running are not worth voting for.so why vote for people you do not like, did i vote --yes-- but i picked the best of the worst,not the best of the best
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

the truth wrote:imo ,most people do not vote, because most of the people running are not worth voting for.so why vote for people you do not like, did i vote --yes-- but i picked the best of the worst

In my experience when speaking to anyone that didn't vote (And by this I mean 99.99% of the time) many times it is mentioned as you say, "Most of the people are not worth voting for"... I always follow up with something along the lines of "Oh... what did you not like about them?" And am met with a person that has no clue who is running, and did no homework to discover who is running nor what their positions were.

I am quite frankly glad they did not vote, but do find it odd that they can say that most of the people running are not worth voting for when they have not taken the time to learn anything about who is running. Many of these same people whine and complain about politicians and politics all the time.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

atenbacon wrote: Yes, a voiced opinion is significantly more successful than a silent one.

Seems to be a pretty simple concept, I wonder why it is lost on those like yourself.

An opinion of what though? A vote for a failing system is acceptance of that failing system. That's why I said I would like to see a vote fail if the turnout is too low. If the vast majority of the voting public is apathetic then perhaps the system should strive to change for the better instead of just allowing people to take a seat with less and less support.

It really boggles my mind...every year it gets worse and worse but somehow the blame lies with the voting public? Say 100% of us did vote? What difference would that honestly make? It's just a different face behind the same old crap. Politics needs a major overhaul if you ever expect people to care.

We are somewhat talking about two different things though. I am mainly jaded with federal and provincial politics, voting at a municipal level can be more effective and feel at least somewhat worthwhile.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

Oxl3y wrote: An opinion of what though? A vote for a failing system is acceptance of that failing system. That's why I said I would like to see a vote fail if the turnout is too low. If the vast majority of the voting public is apathetic then perhaps the system should strive to change for the better instead of just allowing people to take a seat with less and less support.

It really boggles my mind...every year it gets worse and worse but somehow the blame lies with the voting public? Say 100% of us did vote? What difference would that honestly make? It's just a different face behind the same old crap. Politics needs a major overhaul if you ever expect people to care.

We are somewhat talking about two different things though. I am mainly jaded with federal and provincial politics, voting at a municipal level can be more effective and feel at least somewhat worthwhile.

As I said,

Don't vote, it suits me just fine. I am happy to be the voice for the 70% that don't bother.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

atenbacon wrote:
As I said,

Don't vote, it suits me just fine. I am happy to be the voice for the 70% that don't bother.

Or one of the voices that perpetually keeps things from changing for the better. I wonder what would happen if they had a voter turnout of 0% wouldn't that be a pretty powerful message?
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

Oxl3y wrote:Or one of the voices that perpetually keeps things from changing for the better. I wonder what would happen if they had a voter turnout of 0% wouldn't that be a pretty powerful message?

Keep wondering if you wish, in this Country reality is that change is enacted by the voting public, not by the silent majority. Voting is the expression of our commitment to ourselves, one another, this country and this world, if you aren't voting you are certainly not expressing a commitment to anything.

Nothing prevents even yourself from creating a party that can enact the change you speak of, who knows, there may be a time when I would even vote for you.

Not voting is also not a message, and I guarantee that as long as I breathe, voter turnout will never be at 0%... and boy would I be happy at election time getting every single choice I made elected.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Or one of the voices that perpetually keeps things from changing for the better. I wonder what would happen if they had a voter turnout of 0% wouldn't that be a pretty powerful message?[/quote]
that's why I would like to see a none of the above option if 80% of the people voting chose none of the above it would send a pretty clear message
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Next time, the turnout will probably be even lower because it's now pretty obvious that the only candidates that can win are those backed by the ForKelowna henchmen and their money.

Instead of voting, I'll simply avoid any businesses that endorse their candidates.

Anyways, the city manager runs this town and I'm pretty sure he'll be walking all over Colin and this council.

Return to “Central Okanagan”