Work in Kelowna

leavingkelowna

Work in Kelowna

Post by leavingkelowna »

After 16 years of bookkeeping and office administration, I went back to school and studied to be a MOA / HUC; graduating in September with Honors. I have spent countless hours taking my resume from one doctor's office to the next - along with physiotherapists, etc and not one interview - so have started looking again at bookkeeping and office admin - too few jobs - too many responses and poor pay - any suggestions - ready to leave Kelowna after making this my home for 11 years
cate1896
Fledgling

Re: Work in Kelowna

Post by cate1896 »

In 1990, I took a MOA course and graduated second in my class. I searched for months, hours a day, looking for work. At that time my only option was to move to Vancouver which I didn't do and ended up in my old line of work. Hopefully it works out better for you!
IF LIFE HANDS YOU MELONS, YOU PROBABLY HAVE DYSLEXIA
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

go where the work is... kelowna is a nice place to visit on your vacation time! ;)
kelownawriter
Fledgling

Post by kelownawriter »

Unfortunately you chose one of the careers that is overproduced. I know quite a few people with certifications to be MOAs and I'm the only one (with no post-secondary) who is working as one out of the group I know. Yours is not an uncommon story. It is an extremely competitive field, and I think colleges are in part to blame for that. It is very advertised, but as you're finding out, there is nary the need that is described and it really does not give a leg up.

Before you move, I'd be sure you had a job, because from what I hear it is not much easier to procure work in that field elsewhere.

At the very least, your skills are transferable, and you have years of work experience. Kelowna in general is a tough place to find work. Good luck keep looking is all I can say.
JaimeZ

Post by JaimeZ »

Have you tried here: http://jobs.interiorhealth.ca/
okcitizen
Fledgling

Post by okcitizen »

What school did you take the MOA program at? Was it a public college such as Okanagan College, or a private institute such as Sprott Shaw or Vancouver College? I have heard many professionals in town say that they do not take diplomas from the private institutes as seriously as those from public colleges/universities, because they are just not at the same level or caliber. This could be the problem? Have you thought of applying in some of the smaller towns surrounding Kelowna and commuting? The competition is high in Kelowna, with apparently hundreds applying for every job posted. The smaller towns are more desperate for employees so you may have a better chance if you were willing to commute a bit as many are having to do. Unfortunately the wage for MOA's is not much in Kelowna.

Return to “Central Okanagan”