Old Bargain Barn Store on Bernard

maxx
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Old Bargain Barn Store on Bernard

Post by maxx »

This is one of the better ideas. What stops people from going to the "Gray Destination", it is the parking. When it is nice out and the tourists with red plates come to town, parking is limited!!

The building would work out as a mini mall with shops of all kinds for tourists, now in saying that it would almost be dead come winter.

Speaking of Wally, nice to rub shoulders with Christy and hook a fine retirement job, sad for the 12 families who jobs were cut.[/quote]

Thanks for the positive feedback....now all I need to do is convince the property owner - I think he lives in Victoria.....
JoePlanner
Fledgling

Post by JoePlanner »

Top of my wish list for the old Bargain Store site is for it to be reno'd into a MEC. I think that would be quite the anchor tenant for downtown, and MEC avoids locating in malls like they're the plague (they'd never be caught dead in Orchard Park, for example). It fits with the co-ops brand and environmental responsibility (re-use of the building and a walkable location), etc, etc.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Just read the Bargain Store is finally up for sale. It will be interesting to see what will be developed on that piece of Bernard.
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

I would love to see a downtown YMCA with a pool and a fitness program. The remaining floors could be used for commercial offices and residential condos. I think there is lots of potential with this site!
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

TBOkanagan wrote:I would love to see a downtown YMCA with a pool and a fitness program. The remaining floors could be used for commercial offices and residential condos. I think there is lots of potential with this site!

Would love that idea! I have missed going to the YMCA ever since moving from Rutland to downtown.
hail Satan y'all
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

that building has been an eyesore for years downtown, city should of done something about this years ago
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Hey, not that bad looking..
It is a testament to how expensive it is to do business in Kelowna, City hall can be greedy when it comes to business startup in Kelowna...look how long it took to fill up the Western Star building..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

The building, while ugly, isn't violating any bylaws...the walls aren't crumbling, the windows aren't broken, so there's been nothing the city can do.

And now we know the reason no one ever bought the place up, is that it was never for sale, until just recently.

The projected retail/residential mix, while it won't add anything unique to the downtown core, is probably the best we can hope for. I'm interested to see how long it takes this property to sell, and what exactly gets done with it. If it is indeed residential, the Safeway and Shopper's Drug Mart locations across the street will get a boost.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Downtown Kelowna has nothing I need or want, so I don't bother going down. Hopefully something goes into former Bargain barn that will bring more people into area.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

the truth wrote:that building has been an eyesore for years downtown, city should of done something about this years ago

City was collecting their taxes, which in that area were probably high, so no reason for the City to do anything. However, they will have their say when someone wants to develop it and have to jump through all the City hoops, until new owner agrees to donate a portion of the land for a tourist information centre, ha, ha.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 17th, 2016, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inflammatory.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

i hope it turns in to a massive dispensary
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

At the very least it will be a 10 storey condo, with retail at the bottom. Bring in a big name like H&M and/or Whole Foods.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.

Return to “Central Okanagan”