Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Smart Meters Coming to Joe Rich and Rutland

Post by Logitack »

Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

Randall T wrote:Time to buy shares in Alcan.

Stainless steel Faraday cage. From Wiki;

A Faraday cage or Faraday shield is an enclosure formed by conductive material or by a mesh of such material. Such an enclosure blocks external static and non-static electric fields by channeling electricity through the mesh, providing constant voltage on all sides of the enclosure. Since the difference in voltage is the measure of electrical potential, no current flows through the space. Faraday cages are named after the English scientist Michael Faraday, who invented them in 1836.

A Faraday cage operates because an external static electrical field causes the electric charges within the cage's conducting material to be distributed such that they cancel the field's effect in the cage's interior. This phenomenon is used, for example, to protect electronic equipment from lightning strikes and electrostatic discharges.

Faraday cages cannot block static or slowly varying magnetic fields, such as the Earth's magnetic field (a compass will still work inside). To a large degree, though, they shield the interior from external electromagnetic radiation if the conductor is thick enough and any holes are significantly smaller than the wavelength of the radiation. For example, certain computer forensic test procedures of electronic systems that require an environment free of electromagnetic interference can be carried out within a screened room. These rooms are spaces that are completely enclosed by one or more layers of a fine metal mesh or perforated sheet metal. The metal layers are grounded to dissipate any electric currents generated from external or internal electromagnetic fields, and thus they block a large amount of the electromagnetic interference.

The reception or transmission of radio waves, a form of electromagnetic radiation, to or from an antenna within a Faraday cage is heavily attenuated or blocked by the cage.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

interesting video on measuring EMF on a variety of products...including the smart meter

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

dnt have anything of value plugged in , my mom lost couple devices when the smart metre was installed due to a power surge, there was know warning from the installer .
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Joe Rich and Rutland first. Good plan, start in the heartland of grow-ops and save the rest of us $100 million a year in electricity theft.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Kelowner
Fledgling

Post by Kelowner »

Anyone who thinks smart meters are a health concern is a complete nutter that has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Leave the electronics to the younger generation and just worry about spending your pension money please.

Worried about your electrical meter sending the literal equivalent of a text message? Do you have any idea how much "signal" and radiation surrounds you at any given time? Even if you're in the middle of a forest?

PS - That joke of a Faraday cage won't work anyways, and even if it did that'll end up costing you more money as the consumer when they roll around to put an antenna on it. Or just trash it, as the electrical meter is their property and not yours.
sanfish
Lord of the Board

Post by sanfish »

Anyone who thinks they won't recoup the Billipn dollars spent eating up any supposed savings from the 100 million theft is a complete nutter. @ dick most grow ops are legal ergo they don't steal power anymore . I will say this. It's not as cut and dry as they make it sound. I've been called numerous times by fortis asking for my permission and so far they are working in my concerns/demands. For starters, the only way I'm allowing them to do the exchange ( if I even do) is to have a fortis supervisor do/oversee and sign off on the exchange ( and they've agreed )
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Interesting video. The meter's specs is 50Hz to 10GHz. I would expect it to be high around any form of higher current draw appliance including a 13W CFL because all AC current through a wire generates a 60Hz field. I would expect the EMF to be high right at the meter (smart or otherwise) because all of the AC current runs through that point.

Pulsing could be smart meter 'ping', or an appliance drawing higher power at intervals.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I'm demanding the supervisor and the crew to be young women wearing provocative outfits and reciting pledge of allegiance while they install the meter.

So far they're not budging.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Captain Awesome wrote:I'm demanding the supervisor and the crew to be young women wearing provocative outfits and reciting pledge of allegiance while they install the meter.

So far they're not budging.

I first read that as protective clothing and was very dissapointed in you. But I read it a second time and see it was my mistake.

Let me know if this works. Not stuck on the pledge of allegiance part either.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

There is no pledge of allegiance in Canada!
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

George made a smart remark ha ha
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

Kelowner wrote:Anyone who thinks smart meters are a health concern is a complete nutter that has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Leave the electronics to the younger generation and just worry about spending your pension money please.

Worried about your electrical meter sending the literal equivalent of a text message? Do you have any idea how much "signal" and radiation surrounds you at any given time? Even if you're in the middle of a forest?

PS - That joke of a Faraday cage won't work anyways, and even if it did that'll end up costing you more money as the consumer when they roll around to put an antenna on it. Or just trash it, as the electrical meter is their property and not yours.

Two points...

The issue with smart meters is not about the health effects, it's about the eventual implementation of TOD billing to recover the costs of eliminating meter readers and to increase revenues.

Hydro owns the meter, nothing more. You own the meter base and anything that you attach to the meter base or your residence.

Return to “Central Okanagan”