Should the City of Kelowna get into the gas business?

Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Should the City of Kelowna get into the gas business?

Post by Straight Shooter »

That's the question that I have asked myself before and now with the price of crude oil dropping below $60 a barrel why are we not getting the savings at the pumps that we deserve? There seems to be a lack of competitiveness in this market and no gas station/company wants to start any gas war. So, do you think that the City of Kelowna should lead the way and open up their own station or better yet stations and call it something like Ogo Gas or would that just ruffle some feathers in the free enterprise world?
Pkunko
Fledgling

Re: Should the City of Kelowna get into the gas business?

Post by Pkunko »

I think a better idea would be for people to drive smaller vehicles that are more fuel efficient.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Smaller vehicles not always an option.
It's not about competition, it's about price fixing and thats for the gov to step in
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

City of Kelowna opening their own gas station? That's way too much dumb in the morning.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

Basic economic rule is that the city can not use tax dollars to compete with local businesses.

Form a co-op, people can buy shares in exchange for cheap gas, all profits can be returned to shareholders.

I would buy in.
the quadguy
Fledgling

Post by the quadguy »

Hey somebody finally hit on a real good Idea on this forum. We should form a co-op gas station, It could be privately funded. It doesn't matter what kind of gas we would sell it ALL comes from the Kamloops refinery anyway to ALL the local gas stations. Once the leg work was done we could find out what the cost to deliver a litre of fuel is ,And find out the profit margins if any are to be had, Then go full bore ahead. Wish I was a young man I would be all over this, It is a free enterprise system after all. Who cares about other gas stations, Anyone of them could have done it.

Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

Captain Awesome wrote:City of Kelowna opening their own gas station? That's way too much dumb in the morning.

I guess spending $800 grand on a open air wash room in City Park was a better investment for the tax-payers of this city? Hmmm
the quadguy
Fledgling

Post by the quadguy »

To straight shooter, you are so right, Mind you who ever heard of common sense being used in any form of govt, It does not exist.
the quadguy
Fledgling

Post by the quadguy »

I think it would be a no brainer, but then what city council has any brains. If the city said it wanted to save the people money and open a city owned gas station I know that most everyone would be behind it 100%. all they have to do is change a rule to make it fit and go for it. But this most likely won't happen because saving the community money ,selling gas and making money does not fit into the scheme of things. Even the owners of other gas stations could compete. Maybe we could all benefit from it and grab back some of the billions of dollars the gas companies are pocketing. They make the banks look like pikers. If the banks could make those kinds of profits hmmmm wonder why they haven't jumped on the wagon yet?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Straight Shooter wrote:I guess spending $800 grand on a open air wash room in City Park was a better investment for the tax-payers of this city? Hmmm

Providing public washrooms for taxpayers is their job. Providing taxpayers with cheap fuel for their cars - isn't.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Straight Shooter wrote:That's the question that I have asked myself before and now with the price of crude oil dropping below $60 a barrel why are we not getting the savings at the pumps that we deserve? There seems to be a lack of competitiveness in this market and no gas station/company wants to start any gas war. So, do you think that the City of Kelowna should lead the way and open up their own station or better yet stations and call it something like Ogo Gas or would that just ruffle some feathers in the free enterprise world?

Not really sure if their be any savings/cheaper at the pump.

● Terminal price out of Kamloops This would be the same
● Provincial taxes, Federal taxes + carbon tax This would be the same
● Transportation costs This would be the same
● only area that could have a small saving is cents per/litre markup the city would charge i.e what the station owners/manger makes now.

Added later: What I think would cause changes at the stations in town, is if Costco were to get a gas station here. Because many times checking fuel price around Western Canada they tend to be the cheapest.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

GordonH wrote:Added later: What I think would cause changes at the stations in town, is if Costco were to get a gas station here. Because many times checking fuel price around Western Canada they tend to be the cheapest.

^^This
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Unfortunately the only area that would not take away to much of the parking lot, may not be owned by Costco its that area north of Chevron station.

Of course no hwy access & little bit of parking lot maybe needed.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

GordonH wrote:^^^ Unfortunately the only area that would not take away to much of the parking lot, may not be owned by Costco its that area north of Chevron station.

Of course no hwy access & little bit of parking lot maybe needed.

Costco has already outgrown it's current location, the addition of a gas bar would cause worse nightmare parking and access problems. Time for a new Costco in Kelowna (no, not accross the lake), uhh, oh sorry, forgot, the Agricultural Land Commision is busy preserving valuble fartmland to grow hay for hobby horses.
Last edited by Grandan on Dec 12th, 2014, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waste not
Mytown
Fledgling

Post by Mytown »

There's a bright idea! NOT!! Just like liquor and car insurance; give it to the government and create the most expensive commodity in the country!!

Return to “Central Okanagan”