85%
No
15%

Total votes: 54

phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Poll: Kelowna Costco, should they get gas bar

Post by phasyluck »

What's the point? You know prices will never slide in the Okanagan regardless of who is selling it. Maybe discounts to get you in the store and that's it.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

Kelowna has about 100K population. West Kelowna about 30K.
Spokane has 200K and they have 2 locations. I think a second Costco has been talked about before, but it most likely wouldn't be near the current one...
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

GordonH wrote:
Its funny when the right dollar amount is offered anything can happen.

I don't think you understand the importance of Market share.
Costco and Chevron have not become the "Big Boys" by making poor business decisions.
The Chevron executive that made the decision to sell to Costco would be in line for a severance package.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Snarf wrote:Kelowna has about 100K population. West Kelowna about 30K.
Spokane has 200K and they have 2 locations. I think a second Costco has been talked about before, but it most likely wouldn't be near the current one...

Those numbers for Spokane is only the city, metro Spokane area population is 535,000 +
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Its funny when the right dollar amount is offered anything can happen.

Midnite wrote:I don't think you understand the importance of Market share.
Costco and Chevron have not become the "Big Boys" by making poor business decisions.
The Chevron executive that made the decision to sell to Costco would be in line for a severance package.

It all depends on if Costco wants gas pumps in Kelowna or not. If they do they have 2 choices 1) buy the current Chevron location..... 2) find new location between 5.5 to 6 Hectare's in size.

Added point: The draw back on that Chevron location is only getting direct access for northbound traffic.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
stevemic
Fledgling

Post by stevemic »

Anyone else want the Chevron to stay?
I don't want ethanol in my sled, so I run 94 chevron, I don't want to have to drive all the way down to Harvey/Spall
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

stevemic wrote:Anyone else want the Chevron to stay?
I don't want ethanol in my sled, so I run 94 chevron, I don't want to have to drive all the way down to Harvey/Spall

Interesting to see Chevron has the monopoly in Kelowna on ethanol free with there most expensive priced fuel. Meanwhile looking around the Province on this link http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=BC many have it in lower priced fuel.
Mike6921
Fledgling

Post by Mike6921 »

Yes, only if they move in the old Zellers building in Westbank. Plenty of room over there and it would bring back some life in this ghost town.
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

GordonH wrote: Those numbers for Spokane is only the city, metro Spokane area population is 535,000 +

Well, our metro population is on about 180K, so I guess we have a ways to go...
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

Snarf wrote: I think a second Costco has been talked about before...

Maybe on these boards, but not in the real world.
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

Snarf wrote:
Well, our metro population is on about 180K, so I guess we have a ways to go...

Yep. I think we'd be more likely to get a new bigger one complete with gas bar before we'd get a second one.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

stevemic wrote:Anyone else want the Chevron to stay?

Shell also doesn't put ethanol into their highest octane gas, at least that's what it says on the pump.

As for the parking, I don't find our Costco parking lot any worse than any other Costco parking lot I've been to. They definitely don't overbuild their lots, but it seems like there's enough people coming and going that parking isn't a huge issue. Certainly not a big enough issue for them to up and move the store.
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

I wonder if Costco owns the property they sit on. That should be worth a few million, no?
Varulv

Post by Varulv »

If they opened up a second location somewhere nearby, I'd vote yes. As it is, unless they bought Chevron, there's just not enough room. Parking is already ridiculous as it is.

It would be nice if they would open a Costco in Vernon. All the people coming from the Vernon, Spallumcheen, and Shuswap areas could shop in Vernon and relieve some pressure on the Kelowna store.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Mike6921 wrote:Yes, only if they move in the old Zellers building in Westbank. Plenty of room over there and it would bring back some life in this ghost town.

Why would they move to a smaller building with much smaller direct population.

Old Zeller's sq footage 111,000 +/-
Current Costco sq footage 143,000 +/-

Return to “Central Okanagan”