Facing eviction on WFN

ohgeeze
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Facing eviction on WFN

Post by ohgeeze »

I really hope that this doesn't happen again. Where does one go from here, how can this kind of BS be changed. I've been talking to a few people in these 4 parks, they are scared and before you say they shouldn't have bought there, they did and its not like they can just walk away. Selling was difficult and now even more so. I think that the person who asked "why do FN's people seem to have the law on their side" has all the right in the world to ask this question...that is how they feel and I bet a lot of people feel this way...they just don't say it! To the person who lived in that same park, did you move because of the owner? I'm not trying to pry and you certainly don't have to answer. Did the owner hassle you or your neighbours? Its just this is sounding more and more like the owner has several temper tantrums.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Nobody knows what went on between the tenant and the owner. Unless those facts become public knowledge, who can say which party was ultimately responsible for the eviction notice being given? I know people in parks owned by that Locatee and they don't have any problems.

I've never had a problem in any dealings with WFN and find them more than helpful with a phone call or at the band office whenever I have any questions.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Self-government agreements are one means of building sound governance and institutional capacity that allow Aboriginal communities to contribute to, and participate in, the decisions that affect their lives and carry out effective relationships with other governments. Self-government agreements give Aboriginal groups greater control and law-making authority over a comprehensive range of jurisdictions, including governance, social and economic development, education, health, lands and more.

http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1100100016293/1100100016294
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

I did business with WFN for many years. They were one of my best clients, pleasant to work with and always paid their bills on time. I had zero issues with them and would have been fortunate if all of my clients had been that professional.
I birn quil I se
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Randall T wrote:I did business with WFN for many years. They were one of my best clients, pleasant to work with and always paid their bills on time. I had zero issues with them and would have been fortunate if all of my clients had been that professional.

Everyone at the WFN offices are the same way...very good to deal with.
Doesn't matter which department or services, they are all very friendly, helpful and professional.

Individual land owners are not a reflection of the WFN as a whole - and not all land or park owners are members of the WFN.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

WFN are self governing. Anyone on their lands fall under their auspices .... time for folks to stop trying to equate it to your local government rules and regulations.... time for these types to educate themselves on self government.... you personally do not have to agree with any law, any where, but doing so will only lead you down a slippery path.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Garage sale information
Despite a public outcry, the park owners have not broken any laws and were apparently within their rights to take the garage.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-134199-101-.htm#134199
ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

lakevixen wrote:yes its so unfair that you suggest what ? a bounty ? ship them all to the moon to toil in moon mines? build a fence around first nations reserves and keep em under control? lol i lived in same trailer park , the wfn never bothered me or my neighbours ever , it was tomcat who seemed bossy , not wfn

FSmith59 wrote:omg, someone asks about the laws relating to First Nations and this is your reply???

A bounty, ship them to moon mines?

lakevixen, you are really a messed up person.

I concur.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

The best part of your link is - "Good Governance", I just about peed my shorts reading all about it.
chapjuan

Post by chapjuan »

the whole thing is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

How come the First Nations people have so many laws that protect them? Its really not fair!

my reply was to this , the thread is about the trailer court owner and the people that got evicted , it is not about why first nations have in some folks minds , some special laws protecting them , when infact the opposite is true . besides the owner of trailer park booted them out not fn people in general.i think if anyone has experience with being booted of land and not receiving proper compensation would be who? lol yes i do not think you want hear answer to that .
ohgeeze
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by ohgeeze »

Maybe we could move that topic to another forum as this is about being evicted! However I do feel that everyone is entitled to voice their opinion/or questions and its the moderators who decide what can and cannot be voiced.

The fact is they were evicted...the law was not on their side, my question is...will this continue to happen to others now that the landlord knows he/she can? This I'm sure is not a comfortable feeling for those living there and how can it be stopped from happening again?
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

If they're in the business of renting trailer pads and making money, why would they start getting rid of their renters without provocation? This may just be an isolated case for reasons we know nothing about.
I birn quil I se
ohgeeze
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by ohgeeze »

From what I've been told and you can clearly see if you drive through (some) of these MHP's there are a number of homes that have been torn down and they were in now way dilapidated and could have been sold. No new homes are moving in...what does that say? There are some people who have bought there to 1) use it as a stepping stone until they have saved enough to move one and 2) retire there. I just wish someone knows of a way to protect the rest of these people. Some are so scared they WILL NOT say anything about anything. That is not the way anyone should have to live. Worried that they could be next for any made up reason. I know the garage was legally taken, however...if these fellows were such good tenants for X number of years then why were they evicted. From what I've read, it states its because they chose to dispute the actions of the landlord. So, its shut up and put up or your "out".
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

But that's the way it is when you have no ownership interest in the land. Landowners who operate MHP's can decide to shut them down and use the land for something else if they so choose. There is no entitlement for the renters besides proper notice/compensation as the law requires. If you don't own the land, you don't have rights to say how it's used.
I birn quil I se

Return to “Central Okanagan”