Dog attacked in Rutland

Kirtan

Dog attacked in Rutland

Post by Kirtan »

While out walking our 2 year old doberman female, and 3 year old min pin male, on leash by the mugford park in rutland, we were approached by two off leash corgi's. We didn't think this to be strange as we always walk this route, and loose dogs are very common in our neighbourhood, so anyhow, my girlfriend shooed them away from us. Well that didn't work as they both lunged at our min pin biting him in the neck, front and hind legs shaking him, while my stepdaughter held the leash trying not to get bit. After i grabbed the two dogs off of ours, the owner came out of the park asking if our doberman attacked his dogs?? SHE was on her leash and in control at all times, and when we tried to get his dogs to stop, because he had no control, they just took off down the street after my stepdaughter who was now taking our bleeding pup home. The owner started walking away and his dogs returned to his side, but not before circling my doberman and myself barking for a minute. I asked the owner his name and address and he co operated, so we think.. Does this require a phone call to the bylaw to have these dogs labeled vicious? What are the process and steps to be taken, and what will happen to the other dogs? We did end up taking our min pin to the vet and the bill was a little under 200$ and he may need to go back for stitches unless the wounds heal at home. Any suggestions? I do have the supposed dog owners name and address, and we are thinking of going there with the bill to be compensated for the vet trip. Thanks for reading.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Dog attacked in Rutland

Post by Fancy »

Phone bylaw and register a complaint. They should investigate. No dog is allowed to roam free.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Lodge a complaint with the police. I am a huge animal lover but when I am walking my dog, I always carry a stick and would use it and my boots to defend me and my animal. We have coyotes in the area that are very curious, so I take no chances.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Kirtan wrote:the owner came out of the park asking if our doberman attacked his dogs??

This reminds me of another thread I've been reading. Well, except for the asking part.

Hope your dogs are OK ... and yes, follow up on bylaws.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Corgis of all breeds eh, that's odd but I don't really care for the breed anyhow. I'd be looking into a complaint at the very least, I highly doubt you'll see any compensation, unless this person genuinely feels bad for what happened. But hey no witnesses right?
Sure do love Rutland!!
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

Definitely report it to by law so there can be at least a documentation of it. Hope your pup is okay :(
Last edited by Sige on Jan 27th, 2015, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I would report it. He could easily try to turn it around and blame it on your dog to save his own butt. The system is complaint driven.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Kirtan

Post by Kirtan »

We went to visit the owners of the dogs, and they paid for the vet bill with no hesitation. I figure we got lucky in that way. Thanks for the suggestions.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Nice to see someone who accepts responsibility for their dogs.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

WOW! Never saw that coming. Good for you and dare I say it??????????????? Good on them for stepping up. A wee bit O faith has been restored.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

My dogs have been attacked twice while on leash. I now walk with a stick. On three occasions I have stopped other dogs coming at us. Never had to hit the other dogs , once by tapping one on the nose and twice by hitting the asphalt in front of the other dogs.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

Wow, that's awesome Kirtan!! I'm sad to say that was the last thing I expected.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Good to hear that people can resolve these things in a responsible way. Hopefully those owners have learned their lesson and keep better control of their dogs in future. If they weren't aware of what their dogs were capable of before, they should be now.
Kirtan

Post by Kirtan »

yep, i have to say, i was quite surprised myself. dexter the min pin is recovering great. lots of rest, and lamb bone. cheers everyone.
Kirtan

Post by Kirtan »

for the record..because they offered to pay the bill, i did not call rdco. i couldn't after meeting these people, with the way they were so cooperative.

Return to “Central Okanagan”