Mayor Baker being dishonest about costs

John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Mayor Baker being dishonest about costs

Post by John500 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 22nd, 2015, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
tiredtaxpayer

Post by tiredtaxpayer »

I think we should pass on the purchase and let it be sold to whoever wants it. The district could buy the parts around the head of the lake as the rest has little to no value. The majority of the rail has no access, no sewer, no water and no room for setbacks so you could not build anything on it.

We need to stop thinking about 50 years down the road and the what if. The rate our community is falling apart we may need the trail for horses as the roads and the supporting infrastructure will long be deteriorated. Stop trying to buy stuff that only a few will use and will want to pay nothing to use it.

If the taxpayers have to fund something you know it has little to no value.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Hopefully there will be at most 300 other people who feel the same way as you do.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

tiredtaxpayer wrote:I think we should pass on the purchase and let it be sold to whoever wants it. The district could buy the parts around the head of the lake as the rest has little to no value. The majority of the rail has no access, no sewer, no water and no room for setbacks so you could not build anything on it.

We need to stop thinking about 50 years down the road and the what if. The rate our community is falling apart we may need the trail for horses as the roads and the supporting infrastructure will long be deteriorated. Stop trying to buy stuff that only a few will use and will want to pay nothing to use it.

LOL

People who fail to plan ahead simply fail. Yes, there are risks to taking this on, but the lost opportunity could prove to be even worse.

Don't blame the District for all the current infrastructure issues, as many were borne of a failure to plan ahead by 'others' prior to incorporation as a District Municipality. DLC is still catching up from having been in the realm of the Regional District for a majority of the time people have been occupying the area.

Maybe some should've done their homework a wee bit more before buying their homes in Lake Country. District of West Kelowna people ought to take note, as you too will be paying for the shortcomings of the decisions made prior to your incorporation.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
CEB

Post by CEB »

tiredtaxpayer wrote:The rate our community is falling apart we may need the trail for horses as the roads and the supporting infrastructure will long be deteriorated. Stop trying to buy stuff that only a few will use and will want to pay nothing to use it.

Which roads are you using? Sheesh, I've only seen better quality in the years I've been here. If that means they're spending more money on them finally than that just gives credit to the fact that you need to plan ahead. Letting things fail, and not collecting enough taxes, are the failure of all good plans as sooner or later the costs exceed the ability to bring back a level of quality and then people pay alot more. Get in early and let longterm coverage matter.

We have a small tax payer base here and pretty excellend quality for it, in my opinion.
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

1 minute to go and the voting ends. Either I will be happy that people came to their senses and deiced Winfield should save or spend their money elsewhere. Or I will lose and have to pay 27 more a year, to start probably going up to over a hundred in a few. The yes side will be happy or will be whining about theor lose. and how evil I am because i voted No.
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 23rd, 2015, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

the latest story is they need to check the votes. I think this should have been handled by a competent election agency. Seeing as they have changed the story about the cost to purchase this land I don't see them having the integrity to not change a few of the votes if they start to feel threatened.
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Do you not think that there are checks and balances built into the AAP legislation?

Your life must be a hard one to live with such mistrust.

Is it maybe time to move somewhere else?
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

You honestly think the government doesn't do what what it wants to do? Checks and balances only apply to those who aren't part of the government..
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

...but when the results are in your favour, you'd likely not question the ethics or process whatsoever.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

Of course i questions things, especially when it relates to human rights and the will of the majority can trample the rights of the few. The only way my side is going to win is if there was a considerable victory that would make it almost impossible for Baker to ignore the wishes of the electorate.
solrac

Post by solrac »

DocHolidey wrote:the latest story is they need to check the votes. I think this should have been handled by a competent election agency.

Could you... explain just what you mean by a "competent election agency" or provide a single example of a case in which such an agency has been used in Canada? The phrase "competent election agency" sounds mighty impressive, but it doesn't seem to refer to an actual "thing" as far as I can see...

I'm reading the law regarding the running of municipal elections (here: http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/freeside/96323_04) and I don't see any reference to the use of a "competent election agency" anywhere in the rules and regulations. Rather, election officials are appointed by the local government, and then are required to make a "solemn declaration that the person... will faithfully and impartially exercise the powers and perform the duties of the position..." (this is all in paragraph 42). The "checks and balances" (that you say do not apply to the government) actually do exist, and do apply to the government and election process, in the form of "Division 14 - Judicial Recount." See? There's rules. If you think they are being broken, as "an elector of the municipality or electoral area for which the election was held," even you yourself are empowered to be the check and balance.

Return to “Central Okanagan”