You know you're really from Kelowna when . . .

Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: You know you're really from Kelowna when . . .

Post by Catri »

Are you thinking of the polka dot store that was where the Holiday Inn is now?

I remember the bread from Peoples as well. They had really good cheese bread too.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Deleted
Last edited by vinnied on Dec 21st, 2014, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Iamsomeone
Fledgling

Post by Iamsomeone »

Catri wrote:Are you thinking of the polka dot store that was where the Holiday Inn is now?

That sounds like Sid's grocery. I think it was torn down in the early 80's.

I remember shopping many times at People's when I just needed a couple items. My toddlers loved riding the horse they had there in front of their window. About every 5 visits or so, I'd actually put a quarter (maybe it was 50 cents) in the ride to get it moving. Not that I couldn't afford it more often but they had just as much fun sitting on it and pretending whether it was moving or not.
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Sid Tamaki from Sid's Grocery is still alive. He was such a gentleman. On Sunday, it was just Sid's, the Red Top Grocery, or Lakeview Grocery if you needed grub. You could get smokes for 50 cents a pack from Pete's B/A, but all the other stores were closed.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Yes, Sid's, thanks! That's the only building I remember on the highway with spots. Of course my memory is so good I couldn't even remember that it was called Sid's.
bornhere63
Fledgling

Post by bornhere63 »

Remember when this much snow was just a normal day and we were used to it so no one freaked out? We just shoveled a few times during the day to keep it manageable. People are complaining about snow removal equipment disturbing their sleep! It used to run all the time. Ah, those nice high, firmly packed snow banks at the side of the road, ripe for climbing.

The warming trend has reduced our need for all that snow removal equipment, so now we can't keep up like in the old days. But that doesn't mean it's never snowed like this. None of us melted or froze to death.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You're right of course.

I think kids are being sissified by "Snow Day" in Canada.
Snow Day in Canada?
Why not just shut them down all Winter?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

You know you are really from Kelowna when you conveniently forget that, aside from 1975, this much snow was often present only after having accumulated over a much, much longer period of time .

There were fewer cars on the road back then, also. I think more people knew how to drive back then.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Smokey86

Post by Smokey86 »

You remember motel row on old Glenmore Street (the Red Top and Franklin motels to name a few), the Old Colony and Crock Pot restaurants, the diving tower at the Aquatic, the Kelowna Buckaroos, and when the dump was way outside of the city.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

The Stetson Motel
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

5 bridges
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Chilling out on the back side of Dilworth...off Valley Road, up to where the irrigation flume crossed the mountain, keeping the bottles of Uncle Ben's Malt Liquor icy cold in the tumbling water......dangling your feet in as well, just chillin' on a hot day!
Jlabute
Guru

Re:

Post by Jlabute »

Westside_Guy wrote:You know you're really from KELOWNA when...
You remember the Regatta Riots in 1986 and 1987, and watching Mayor Jim literally reading the Riot Act while dodging beer bottles.

I have a peculiar memory of it. I was walking with a few friends thru city park and came out at the sails. The road in front was so crammed with people no cars were moving. The atmosphere was getting scary. A group of people were preaching with a PA system. A young person preaching said to the crowd... "Who here likes drugs?" And the crowd roared Yeahhhh!!!! "Who likes illicit sex?" Crowd roared again... Then he told the crowd "you're all going to hell". Lol, pretty much what happened too. We left right after that statement
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Wonder where the preacher on the loudspeaker ended up....Tammy Faye Bakker's first cousin?
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Someone mentioned “Nitro” on his BMX bike and his machete in the backpack. At
Least threatening. Wonder what ever happened?

Return to “Central Okanagan”