New stop sign goes unnoticed. What a shock

Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: New stop sign goes unnoticed. What a shock

Post by Bpeep »

If people can't notice a new placement of a stop sign they shouldn't be driving.
What happens when they go down streets that they've never been down before?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

My thoughts exactly!
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Bman wrote:If people can't notice a new placement of a stop sign they shouldn't be driving.

The thing about change is that it needs to be dramatic to be noticed and once you have formed the habit it also becomes automatic. I cannot get into my vehicle without putting on my seat belt, I feel naked without it.
When you drive along a familiar street you are on automatic. You drive the same few blocks 4 times per day for years. When that STOP sign went up people simply couldn't see it amid the streetscape clutter. It needed a bit more flash to get people out of their dream state.
The intersection of Valley and Union recently got a new 3 way stop. There are a solar powered flashing lights to alert motorists to the change. That intersection was nasty and needed something done.

Some people likely did not stop because they never stop for stop signs anyways, it just is more noticeable when you are watching for it!
Waste not
Panzer130
Board Meister

Post by Panzer130 »

Bman wrote:If people can't notice a new placement of a stop sign they shouldn't be driving.

Do you check all four sides of your vehicle before moving it - every time you move it?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Yeah .. I'd notice that "NEW" sign...

When I smash my head on it while walking home from Roses'.. But that's what I get for being only 5'11"..

And the sign being on the sidewalk at about car top height .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

If people are in automatic mode and aren't aware of all four sides of their vehicle before and during movement, they shouldn't be driving.
There's a helluva lotta doughead moron drivers out there.
Making excuses for them just assists in perpetuating the stupidity.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: New Stop Sign Goes Unnoticed. What a shock

Post by Ken7 »

Wally wrote:I drive through that intersection about 8 times a week, at least. I drove it twice yesterday, didn't notice the signs in either direction, probably in part that I wasn't looking for them as they haven't been there the last 100 or so times I went through it. Now I will know they are there and will stop. I always am going slow there as there are a lot of pedestrians to watch out for anyway.
I hope this isnt off topic.

Possibly putting a red 3 foot tall cone in the center of a intersection should be implemented for those new stop sign locations, just a thought.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: New Stop Sign Goes Unnoticed. What a shock

Post by Ken7 »

Wally wrote:
Drove through it twice today, I was the only vehicle at the intersection both times, dont recall if I actually stopped or not.

Not throwing dirt your way, although I observe that a lot. If no-one is approaching a intersection people don't stop and hardly slow down. Simply amazing, I feel how people drive.
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

I rolled through this sign on Tuesday. My bad.

Burn the two parking stalls in front of the sign on the lake side and this problem is solved - at least Southbound. There is about 2 feet between the end of the parking stall and the sign. The sign's just not there when cars are parked. That should change.

Funny to see that fully sunlit sign getting missed though!

I love all the righteous folks - all PERFECT drivers - here on this thread who claim they would have seen the signs. I guess the forum shields your identity and you can keep that ideal self you project. Personally, I think admitting that we all make mistakes - even silly ones like these - make us human and bring us together.
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

motokelowna1 wrote:Re the stop signs they are needed at least to allow drivers to exit onto Water street but get rid of one of the pedestrian crossings.
That too me already causes confusion. The intersection should have one only as when it is busy you tend to lose where pedestrian s are .

At first I thought this was a good idea... but then I thought, hey wait, we should favour people walking over people driving in this spot. There's a tonne of foot traffic there.

Return to “Central Okanagan”