Lake Country derails rail

step_one

Re: Lake Country derails rail

Post by step_one »

[quote][/quote]Handed over free of charge from Federal Government crown land inventory, for use as a railway corridor, would be my guess.

Then why does CN get paid?? I don't get it
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

step_one wrote:
Then why does CN get paid?? I don't get it

Because CN was privatized in 1995 (Bill Gates is he largest single owner), politicians in BC make sure their cronies get their share of any profits with the sale. Remember BC Rail

When CP rail was built part of the deal was that the railway was given a certain amount of land on either side of the proposed track which they could sell to help recover the cost. CN probably had something like that at one time, but i doubt applies here as all the usable land was probably already sold off by them

Indian bands contact number is on their page. I am going to to ask for an appointment with with the band and see what their plans are. Baker might end up giving Bill Gates a our money instead of the provincial government having to do it. (notice the giving part, as we won't be left with anything in return)
Last edited by Not Bob on Mar 1st, 2015, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Handed over free of charge from Federal Government crown land inventory, for use as a railway corridor, would be my guess.

step_one wrote:Then why does CN get paid?? I don't get it

To be fair I don't have irrefutable proof, but that is how the railway got most of their right of ways.

As to why they should get paid now, according to a number of people it's because CN is a for profit business, who to hear them tell it, was almost single handedly responsible for the creation of Canada.

I guess that the railway has also taken in trillions from the railway lines is beside the point.

To my thinking someone screwed up royally by not including a clause in legal transactions, stating that should the railway cease operations, the lands revert back to the crown.

I guess those representing the interests of Canadians didn't have smart enough lawyers back in those days.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

Lake Country is spending over 5 million on a "park" that is going to be lost in land claims. Plus millions in court costs.. send them an email and see if they aren't claiming it. So instead of the provincial government having to buy it for them the people of winfield are.. http://okib.ca/
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

Railways had I am assuming a tremendous amount of clout and political influence at times . It's what opened up the country . Land was seemingly worthless . There were no fences or boat trailers anywhere .
Strong and free
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

Yes the railways have always had the politicians in their pockets, and in Winfield they still do
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

step_one wrote:Question? Does anyone know who CN purchased this land from in the first place? Was it given to them from the province?
(Just asking)

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:That very thought crossed my mind as well. I don't for a minute think that CN purchased this land. I was going to pose this question, but you beat me to it.
Hmmmmm!!

I actually beat you both to it on page 6, LOL. I didn’t get an answer and I still don’t see anything conclusive but I’d sure love to know. If the CN has been using this land free of charge for all these years I just cannot imagine why the communities who want to use it for a completely nonprofit project should need to pay one penny for it.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I wonder how many right-wing pro-privatization folks are now thinking this land should be turned back over free of charge when at the time they preferred privatization as being so progressive and getting the government out of it?

NOT SO MUCH.

This is another cost of privatization, it's especially the 'let the free market have control' that need to understand the consequences by way of what we see right now.

Back on Topic: Is anyone calling DLC today to get particulars on donation?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

does anyone know how many private land butts up against the railway in lake country. and how many have the private land have the railway between their land and lake?
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

kgcayenne wrote:I wonder how many right-wing pro-privatization folks are now thinking this land should be turned back over free of charge when at the time they preferred privatization as being so progressive and getting the government out of it?

NOT SO MUCH.

This is another cost of privatization, it's especially the 'let the free market have control' that need to understand the consequences by way of what we see right now.

Back on Topic: Is anyone calling DLC today to get particulars on donation?

So I called the DLC. The Corporate Services Dept. staff member responsible for setting up the General Ledger Code for the donation fund is away today, however, I was able to ask a few questions and the details are not even clear yet to the DLC staff as this fund is just now being developed. I was told that people can donate but it has not been determined yet if there will be a referendum or where things stand at this point. So …..’my understanding’ from the discussion is those people who donate will be provided a tax receipt IF there is a “successful referendum” (yes vote) and then the donation monies would be applied to the purchase of the rail trail thereby reducing the initial purchase cost to the DLC. I 'assume' any other costs.....(I say assume because I did not actually ask about other costs given it was clear they are not even sure about the details of this fund yet) will still go on the DLC books. IF…. there is a referendum and it is not successful (a no vote) then the monies will be refunded to those who donated. But again... the woman I spoke with today did comment this fund and the details are just now being developed and she did not discuss if there are any other plans to purchase or fund the acquisition (other than a possible referendum and this being funded by DLC & any donations). I hope this post makes sense as I am typing it in a bit of a rush.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Symbonite wrote:does anyone know how many private land butts up against the railway in lake country. and how many have the private land have the railway between their land and lake?

Lots. All the way along the east shore of Wood Lake. Some along Kal Lake, but not as many.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
SmileyEyes

Post by SmileyEyes »

KL3-Something wrote:Lots. All the way along the east shore of Wood Lake. Some along Kal Lake, but not as many.

As well as all the homes/acreages from Woodsdale Rd. to Beaver Lake Rd...

I would not even consider making a "Donation" as The Duck Lake Indian Band has claim to the majority of the land...but, to each their own...
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

I would not even consider making a "Donation" as The Duck Lake Indian Band has claim to the majority of the land...but, to each their own...[/quote]

Yes that is a concern after reading the Commonage Land claim. The other concern I have is I got the feeling today that the 'donation fund' may be viewed more as support for the DLC acquiring this rail trail then what my intention was to donate to avoid the DLC purchasing it and exploring private or alternate funding.....

Just to clarify I tried to quote Smiley Eyes in the statement above my own but somehow I messed it up....not great at the quoting thing yet.....
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Castanet reports the decision to have a referendum has been made. The people of the DLC will arrive at the right decision; what they think best [ONLY] if they are provided accurate information, based in fact as opposed to supposition. They are intelligent people who deserve better than to have misinformation/propaganda fed them by pro or anti-loan crowd. Were I living in Lake Country, anyone who came petitioning my support for their argument, better be able to back up their claims with fact.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

Here we go again, oh joy!

“Are you in favour of the District of Lake Country adopting Loan Authorization Bylaw (Okanagan Rail Corridor) 906, 2014 to authorize the borrowing of up to Two Million Six Hundred and Fifteen Thousand Dollars ($2,615,000) to fund the purchase of a 50% share of 16 kilometres of the Okanagan Rail Corridor within District boundaries?”

Simple question - can anyone answer it?

Total $5,500,000.00
Loan $2,615,000.00

Whats left - $2,885,000,00 - Where is this amount coming from? Is it the tax increase of $27 per year based on a $400,000.00 house for many years? Not a lot of $400,000 houses out here so if its based on that the amount per year will be higher for most owners. Our place nothing fancy was tax appraised at $695,000.00

Why the hell just not word the question like; Are you in favour of the DLC raising taxes and borrowing to achieve a total of $5,500,000.00

Return to “Central Okanagan”