Gas Boycott

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Gas Boycott

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Current unleaded in Kelowna $1.099 - taxes .3517 (includes .04 for GST) = .7473

.7473 - todays rack price .594 = .1533

.1533 - transportation cost (carrier) ??? amount = remainder is owner/manger of station

Of course out of the amount going to owner/manger is employee's wages, utilities, maintenance etc… etc, oh if it a lease that amount as well.

As for those who own the station & can sell at whatever price they want, maybe true. If they sell low & rack price goes up by time they need to refill those under ground tanks. That could backfire on them big time.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
rockq55

Post by rockq55 »

Cost affecting pump prices: (from Shell's website)

Three factors influence Shell's pump prices, and what customers pay on any given day can move up or down based on ANY or ALL three factors:

1.The price of crude oil, the raw material from which gasoline is made.

2.The cost of refining crude oil at Shell’s three Canadian refineries and the effect of supply and demand conditions in North America are major factors in Shell’s wholesale price.

3. Local retail forces, which affect the day-to-day price, as retailers compete for customers. About 60 per cent of all Shell-branded sites are independently owned and set their own prices.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ 2 prices no station owner can play around with is what the oil company demands i.e rack price second is taxes

One is set daily i.e rack price the other is .3117 + 5% GST.

Added: carriers transportation cost that is set by length of contract
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
rockq55

Post by rockq55 »

GordonH wrote:Of course out of the amount going to owner/manger is employee's wages, utilities, maintenance etc… etc, oh if it a lease that amount as well.

This is true and I get it, I own a retail business and have those expenses as well. However, I can not "arbitrarily" increase my prices and blame it on a snowfall in Africa or you will just take your business elsewhere. Unless, I get a hold of my neighboring competition and get them to up their price to match mine and then it wouldn't do you any good to go elsewhere so you would just smile and pay me more, hey, maybe I'm onto something here.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

I get the high amounts of trucks, etc out there, but the simple fact remains...we are being screwed. For some to say, just buy a smart car, sounds all good, but what about rec uses?? Towing a modest camper to a campground? Or quads, etc? Should we all just stop any and all recrerational activities because the gas man wants to make such a huge profit? Or bigger, the trucks that deliver us our goods? If we weren't being screwed so hard, delivery with these trucks would be considerably less, hence saving everyone money. Some people forget that when gas goes up, carriers pass that on to the consumer, wheather you decided to drive a smart car or bike.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

rockq55 wrote:Cost affecting pump prices: (from Shell's website)

Three factors influence Shell's pump prices, and what customers pay on any given day can move up or down based on ANY or ALL three factors:

1.The price of crude oil, the raw material from which gasoline is made.
Actual gasoline is a byproduct of the refining process, once all lubes, plastic, diesel, oil etc… etc is removed from the crude oil. All that remains is gasoline & sludge.
2.The cost of refining crude oil at Shell’s three Canadian refineries and the effect of supply and demand conditions in North America are major factors in Shell’s wholesale price. Speculators
3. Local retail forces, which affect the day-to-day price, as retailers compete for customers. About 60 per cent of all Shell-branded sites are independently owned and set their own prices.
Nope that again comes from speculators, prices are set check link I provided earlier

http://www.ranken-energy.com/Products%2 ... roleum.htm
rockq55

Post by rockq55 »

jamapple wrote:I get the high amounts of trucks, etc out there, but the simple fact remains...we are being screwed. For some to say, just buy a smart car, sounds all good, but what about rec uses?? Towing a modest camper to a campground? Or quads, etc? Should we all just stop any and all recrerational activities because the gas man wants to make such a huge profit? Or bigger, the trucks that deliver us our goods? If we weren't being screwed so hard, delivery with these trucks would be considerably less, hence saving everyone money. Some people forget that when gas goes up, carriers pass that on to the consumer, wheather you decided to drive a smart car or bike.

Well put jamapple.. We can all do our part to use less gas, less everything for that matter. I recently started switching over to LED light bulbs. A little pricy (they have come down a lot) but will use less electricity in the long run. However, that shouldn't give companies like Fortis a "blank cheque" to charge whatever they want. Everyone is entitled to make a profit, that is what free enterprise is all about but when it comes to something where there is no competition, or there is collusion among competitors then it's time to get involved and do SOMETHING about it.

If we do nothing, (like most here would suggest) and lets say we all switch to smart cars or electric cars or sell our trucks and RV's (like some think is a solution..LOL) then what does that do to the economy and what's to stop the oil companies who are used to high profits from just upping the price even more to recoup their losses, even doubling or tripling it then as you say the people that move products and have no "choice" would pass that on to us as well, a lose-lose you might say.

No, we need to fight back and send a clear message that if you want to gouge us we DO have a choice and that choice is to boycott you and "hurt" your business until you are ready to be reasonable. If that means picking on a retailer or two so be it, IMO they brought in on themselves.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Everyone in favour of boycotting select stations should get together and map out a plan and schedule. Oh wait....you would have to actually meet people in person and........wait for it.......then they would find out who you really are!!. Oh my.

All sarcasm aside, a boycott would work if implemented and supported by the organizers. You would need a consistent picket line all day and night. Who wants to go first?

BTW, this gauging is starting to irk me too.

PS this subject is more important than licensing cats.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

It boils down to that pesky sunshine tax, once that is removed the Okanagan will reap lower prices. And really the winters there aren't sunny at all!
Sure do love Rutland!!
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Captain Awesome wrote:You know, a smart person would stop wasting money on smokes, junk food, and lottery tickets before complaining about fuel prices.

Maybe they need the lottery tickets to afford the smokes, junk food and gas?
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
greenmile

Post by greenmile »

Hmmm wrote:Everyone in favour of boycotting select stations should get together and map out a plan and schedule. Oh wait....you would have to actually meet people in person and........wait for it.......then they would find out who you really are!!. Oh my.

All sarcasm aside, a boycott would work if implemented and supported by the organizers. You would need a consistent picket line all day and night. Who wants to go first?

BTW, this gauging is starting to irk me too.

PS this subject is more important than licensing cats.

boycott ESSO sun,boycott shell sat,boycott petro fri,boycott,chevron mon

Return to “Central Okanagan”