Responsible pet owners

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: Responsible pet owners

Post by flamingfingers »

Sure you can trap them... then what? I am asking if there is a law/bylaw applicable to property owners who have nuisance cats - can they dispose of them, or kill them? Is there a bylaw that applies here?
Chill
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Haven't come across a bylaw that specially states nuisance animals can't be disposed of since various animals can be destroyed under certain circumstances (i.e dogs chasing livestock etc.)
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
solrac

Post by solrac »

It's in the Criminal Code of Canada. A criminal offence.

Animals and the Criminal Law (Canada)
(01 January 2015)

Chapter 3 - Main Offences
3. 'Kept' Non-Cattle Animals and Birds

(a) The Provision
445(1)
Every one commits an offence who, wilfully and without lawful excuse,

(a) kills, maims, wounds, poisons or injures dogs, birds or animals that are not cattle and are kept for a lawful purpose; or

(b) places poison in such a position that it may easily be consumed by dogs, birds or animals that are not cattle and are kept for a lawful purpose.

Now carry on and debate the "lawful excuse" provision. Its intent is to allow people to shoot nuisance dogs-at-large that are threatening farm animals (i.e. impacting a farmer's livelihood). I will quote from this website: http://www.isthatlegal.ca/index.php?name=offence1.animal_criminal_cruelty_law#'Kept'%20Non-Cattle%20Animals%20and%20Birds

(f) Trespassing Dogs

. Current Law

As noted above, the most prominent example of a "lawful excuse" might be the following provision from the provincial Livestock, Poultry and Honey Bee Protection Act:
s.2
Any person may kill a dog,

(a) that is found killing or injuring livestock or poultry;

(b) [Repealed]

(c) that is found straying at any time, and not under proper control, upon premises where livestock or poultry are habitually kept.

Is "pooping in my tulips" similar in nature to "killing off my calves"? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But if you kill your neighbour's cat because of it, you may find yourself arguing your position to the court.

Honestly, this thread is so disturbing. I don't even have a cat, let alone an outdoor cat... but the murderous bloodlust against the tresspassy-poopers is really kind of.... i... i don't even know what to say.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

...actually, I would almost think the "kept for a lawful purpose" line is more telling...can't exactly infer that a stray/feral cat is "kept" at all - it's at large and owner-less...some people keep rats for pets - hardly doubt anyone would question someone killing a stray rat rather than going door to door asking if it's someone's pet first...

...don't get me wrong, I'm in no way advocating the killing of anyone's cat or anything else - it's not the cat's fault, and as big a talk as some throw around at the subject, I'd be hard pressed to think there's many that would ever follow through...again, I think the vast majority have no issue with cats - it's the owners that irresponsibly let them roam and get into trouble - that's the issue...
solrac

Post by solrac »

Yes it most certainly is an "owner's issue".... but this thread just keeps straying (no pun intended) back again and again to the desires of a certain few to inflict suffering or death on innocent animals, as "punishment" to their "irresponsible" owners. Because when you're mad at somebody, the best way to "get back at them" is to destroy something they love, I guess? Maybe they don't really mean it and are just trying to "push the buttons" of their forum sparring partner(s) but dayum. It's sickening to read.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

^^^^
If they loved their pet and wanted it safe they would keep it where it belongs.
NOT let it wander out in the elements and in the streets to be injured or killed or abused.
IF the animal is wandering and is not tattooed or collared, as being owned, it is a feral stray that is unloved and uncared for.

The owner needs to be trained to keep the animal within the confines of their own property.
As stated before training the owner is as important as training the animal.

A few drops of skunk scent - a few drops of food dye - and a splat of syrup will in most cases suffice to train both the cat and the owner to keep the cat in their own yard.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Mar 15th, 2015, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Stop!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
solrac

Post by solrac »

removed. the quote post.
That could cause some serious pain and suffering to a small mammal. So now we will look at the CRIMINAL Code once again, and see if there are prohibitions about causing suffering in 'unloved feral animals' - oh why look, yes there are!!! Section 4... which refers not just to "kept" animals but to "all" animals. With animals that are not "kept" you aren't prohibited from outright killing them, so long as you do so in a way that minimizes their pain and suffering.

What you people keep proposing is to cause suffering in these animals, based on some notion that making animals suffer will "train" other humans to treat them better. The hypocrisy is mind-blowing.

Animals and the Criminal Law (Canada)
(01 January 2015)

4. General Cruelty

(a) The Provision
445.1(1)
Every one commits an offence who

(a) wilfully causes or, being the owner, wilfully permits to be caused unnecessary pain, suffering or injury to an animal or a bird;
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Mar 15th, 2015, 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: didn't think it was a joke kind of thread.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

I think that it is a stretch to suggest that a paintball hitting a cat is causing unnecessary pain and suffering. As compared to a cat being hit by a car and left crippled on the side of the road, being attacked by a coyote or another cat, a paintball is nothing.
Do cats feel more pain than people?
I think that cats will avoid areas where "surprises" happen be it sprinklers (you big meany) loud noises and so on.
Our cats have been hit by, 1.a greyhound bus, 2. car, and 3. eaten by a coyote.
We were not able to keep these two neutered male cats from going outdoors as they bugged the hell out of us to get outside.
The last one a $1,000 stainless steel rod in his leg. (2. Car) before he met his demise by 3.
You know, cars and buses in particular cause a lot of mayhem in our community and we should ban them so our pets can stay safe.
But then, we people "keep" cats for our own selfish needs so maybe we should ban pet ownership so that all of the above can be avoided.
Waste not
sixxonesixx
Fledgling

Post by sixxonesixx »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Mar 15th, 2015, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Check your pm.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Bsuds wrote:Maybe there is a market for paintball gun pellets made from those ingredients.

Design them for those airsoft toys and you may have come up with something.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Think about this.
A woman that lived beside us had a very nice little ginger cat, every time it saw me it came over for a pet and play. This woman told me one day that they always let the cat out at night, she said "he's a great little hunter, every morning there is something on the doorstep that he killed".
She lived there for three years and one day climbed in the car and left. The cat was left to fend for itself. Obviously a much loved pet. One of the neighbours found it a good home.
So do some quick math. This cat was one of about five that we would see loose in our neighbourhood all the time.
We used to have covoys of quail and we would see the babies running around on our lawn. They looked like fuzzy golf balls. we had all sorts of other birds around, plus a few chipmunks and squirrels. Now all we seem to have is cats running loose.
I have never trapped them or hurt them but they are responsible for killing off all the wildlife in our area.
I would find it difficult to care if these cats started to vanish.
Black Dogs Matter
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

solrac wrote:Animals and the Criminal Law (Canada)
(01 January 2015)

4. General Cruelty

(a) The Provision
445.1(1)
Every one commits an offence who

(a) wilfully causes or, being the owner, wilfully permits to be caused unnecessary pain, suffering or injury to an animal or a bird;

....because letting your cat roam free to be hit by a car or eaten alive by a coyote doesn't hurt at all....
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Warning. Harm to animals /stealing animals and such comments will not be tolerated in this thread. ZERO tolerance. I hope you're all clear on this.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings

Return to “Central Okanagan”