Micro Suites in Kelowna

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Micro Suites in Kelowna

Post by the truth »

this is what in time they could turn into
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... partments/
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

the truth wrote:this is what in time they could turn into
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... partments/

...lol - already proposing to renovate them and split them into smaller units??...the examples shown are only 40 sq.ft. - not that 300 is opulently spacious - but c'mon - it's a far cry from 40...
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

mysideofthings wrote:As much space as I don't need being a single person, 300 square feet is a bit ridiculous.

Really? How much space do you really need?

I sold a 3000 sq home in the upper mission back in 2002 and took work on Saltspring Island. I lived in a 2 person "pup" tent for 10 months.

I finally went to Victoria WalMart and bought a bigger tent. Bought a queen sized air mattress, a coleman fridge and a battery powered 8" tv. It picked up 5 channels out of Vancouver! Turned the smaller tent into a closet/pantry.
I lived there for a year and a half.

The second winter I doled out $7500 and bought a 34' fifth wheel. Talk about luxury. A Queen bedroom, a bathroom with a tub, gas stove and oven and a living room. Didn't have to go to the laundromat every couple days to take a shower!!!

Still, the 5th wheel was probably only 300 sq.

Once I sold my house and got rid of all my material *bleep*, I was much happier. No more stuff and clutter.
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

I think if these were available to buy you might be surprised at their popularity. They would serve as an affordable foot in the door of home ownership in an area with perpetually inflated property values. A micro suite may give people who otherwise couldn't own a home a chance.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

I have one similar.

It has 4 wheels and I tow it with my truck.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

If y'all don't want one, don't rent one.

Keep on with your 3000+ square foot homes that not all of us can afford and let others do what they please with their $$$
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

FSmith59 wrote:
Really? How much space do you really need?

I'd be fine with 600 to 700 square feet. I just don't like feeling claustrophobic.
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

mysideofthings wrote:
I'd be fine with 600 to 700 square feet. I just don't like feeling claustrophobic.

That's still being kind of micro. 600-700 is awesome.

I just don't see the reason to keep a 3000 sq + home, anymore.

Even when I had kids at home, it was just ridiculous having that much space. Half the house was never used.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Here's an article from a micro suite project in Vancouver. This is 291 square feet I could live in: http://www.vancouversun.com/business/*bleep* ... story.html

As someone who stays in hotels about 1/2 of each month for the last 5+ years you really get a sense of the spaces we all want versus the actual square footage we can get away with. Obviously these things are going to be open concept/bachelor style living areas. But even in a hotel you have a full bathroom (I'm sure not everything needs a 4 piece bathroom) space for a smaller fridge, microwave, toaster, etc. A queen bed (at minimum), seating area (usually with sofa bed), and a couple of closets and wardrobes/dressers.

No one is suggesting these places for a family of 4. But for a younger person/couple it's plenty of space, especially if you have a more socially active lifestyle where you want to be closer to downtown.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

FSmith59 wrote:
That's still being kind of micro. 600-700 is awesome.

Even when I had kids at home, it was just ridiculous having that much space. Half the house was never used.

Her half or yours?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I had a place like that when I lived in Germany, it was fantastic - mind you it only cost €250 including utilities. Sorry Kelowna, you haven't reached that "trend" level to justify $700 for one of those.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

FSmith59 wrote:

LOL i only lived in a big house when i lived with my parents. at one point, we had 13 people staying at the house. it was crazy and just barely worked. thankfully, it was short term. made things interesting.

where i live now is like 1500 or so square feet, but i'm in the process of selling (i have to, don't want to) one floor out of three doesn't get used much though. so, i will be looking for something that hopefully is just enough space for me, my cat, and my things that is somewhat affordable.
jhill

Post by jhill »

We own and did live in our micro unit and loved it! 375 square feet to be exact. Yes it's an adjustment getting used to small space living and while it's not for everyone but for some is great. Currently we rent it out semi furnished for $800/month and have yet to need to drop price due to lack of interest or renters. Most of the city averages $8-900 for one bedroom rentals.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

jhill wrote:We own and did live in our micro unit and loved it! 375 square feet to be exact. Yes it's an adjustment getting used to small space living and while it's not for everyone but for some is great. Currently we rent it out semi furnished for $800/month and have yet to need to drop price due to lack of interest or renters. Most of the city averages $8-900 for one bedroom rentals.

Large majority of those 1 bedroom apartments are between 600 to 700 sq feet.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

jamapple wrote:That's great....only problem would be toown one in Kelowna would set you back prolly$200k-250k. Small here doesn't always mean affordable!
I would love to try to live in one. Someone else on here hit it right on the head. tons of space for 2 people and a dog.For what??

It can go a step further. In many cities/towns they are built on flat deck trailers and parked in someone's yard. As they are on wheels, they skirt any bylaws regarding suites and carriage homes. The person who owns the property can be a relative, an old person who needs additional help to stay in their home, or someone who just needs extra income. One of these homes can be built for $20-$30K. You just need somewhere to park it.
I birn quil I se

Return to “Central Okanagan”