Telephone scams: WARNING!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Telephone scams

Post by Swoop »

OREZ wrote:I don't know if it works at all for these obvious scams but I put my number on the "Do Not Call List" It took a while to take effect but I'm rarely bothered by these calls now. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or it actually works but it's worth a try.

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/index-eng

...it does not...registered a couple of years ago - and receive approximately 10-15 1-800/866/877 etc calls per day, and that's not an exaggeration...as of the time of writing this, I've had 3 already...a handy site is http://800notes.com/ which is a site where people list annoying telemarketer calls...if you happen to have your phone with caller id beside you while online, enter the phone number in the browser for a quick google search of who it is...
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

These are not legitimate businesses; asking them to remove you only confirms that you're "live" and will ensure that the calls keep coming. They used to come from seemingly random numbers; once the public got wise to that, the numbers started appearing to be local. I got the Marriott call this morning too, it was from a 250-718 number. There's no point in getting angry about these calls; the perps don't care if they're bothering you, nor do they care if you curse them out, waste their time or just hang up. They only care about the one person out of a hundred or a thousand who actually go for it.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Two things that spring to mind. I only just realized that if you have an i phone you can block numbers, so once i get an odd number and when i answer it is a recording from Westjet (for example) that number gets blocked. Secondly i have just renewed my package with Shaw and as part of their included phone package you can now go into your account online and do two things, firstly you can block any anonymous calls and secondly you can block numbered calls by inputting the number into the setting you want to block. Seems to work as i have so far had Zero scam faxes that always come from an "unknown" or "private" caller.

I cannot offer any advice if you don't have a smart phone that can do this or are with a supplier other than Shaw but i'm sure they will all be offering similar stuff in the end.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. They can leave a message if its important, that's what I have voicemail for. If you don't answer, they give up ... at least they have in my experience. I seldom get telemarketer calls now.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Kelownabusinessman
Fledgling

Post by Kelownabusinessman »

I don't answer numbers I've never seen before, even if I have seen the number but don't remember it I don't answer cause it isn't that important.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If people would quit falling for these scams they would go away. Too many gullible people out there!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Kelownabusinessman wrote:I don't answer numbers I've never seen before, even if I have seen the number but don't remember it I don't answer cause it isn't that important.

That's kinda of nuts. Are you afraid you'll fall for the scam if they talk to you? Better not answer. No soliciting sign on doors are for those who can't say no too btw. I can say no just fine, don't need to not answer calls or doors.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Hmmm wrote: No soliciting sign on doors are for those who can't say no too btw. I can say no just fine, don't need to not answer calls or doors.

The signs are also for those who don't want to be bothered by religious nuts trying to force their beliefs on those who are not interested!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

That's kinda of nuts. Are you afraid you'll fall for the scam if they talk to you? Better not answer. No soliciting sign on doors are for those who can't say no too btw. I can say no just fine, don't need to not answer calls or doors.

Speaking of nuts
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Hmmm wrote:That's kinda of nuts. Are you afraid you'll fall for the scam if they talk to you?

Why is that nuts? It has nothing to do with being "afraid" ... its simply not worth the time and effort to acknowledge their existence. If its important ... they'll leave a message and telemarketers eventually get the hint.
Hmmm wrote:Better not answer. No soliciting sign on doors are for those who can't say no too btw. I can say no just fine, don't need to not answer calls or doors.

What's wrong with not answering the door or phone? If I'm driving home and I see the JWs canvasing the area and half an hour later the door bell goes. I'm not getting up ... I'm fine just where I am.

The other thing about telemarketers is that they have one technique they use which is to make initial calls to see if someone answers ... if someone does, the number is considered "active" and goes on the list, gets shared and you can expect more calls. If no one answers, or the call goes to voicemail after repeated attempts, the number is considered "inactive" and they leave you alone for awhile.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

The last number I received from a telemarketer on my cell used the same 250 212 XXXX number that I would expect from a local cell phone but it had a 011 in front which could have been a dialling error. It is nuts to me how sneaky these guys are getting. The worst one to me is those microsoft people. I'd like to go to India and have a little "chat" with those guys.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

The latest scam that has hit both my cel. # and my home # is from WestJet. They show up as an "International call" on the caller ID.
They did use this SCAM last year as well.
Wait to the end of the recording, hit the appropriate #key to stop all future calls.
IF you answer and just hang up, they will call back at a later date.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Its been a few years now that I've even taking one of those scam calls or just any call that I don't recognize. If its important they will leave a message.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Just today had a call from BC Hydro on a US number that told me my address was about to be disconnected for non payment. He went on to say i had been sent a notice, did i not receive it. He then asked would i be at home in 45 minutes when they will come to disconnect, i said of course and hung up. I re dialled the number and it said Hydro disconnect dept how can i help you?
Tried to let Hydro know but the lady i spoke with didn't seem too bothered and told me my account was fine, which i knew anyway and then the phone kept cutting out.
When i look at Hydro website they mention some scams back last fall when the scammers would spoof the Hydro numbers and go on to threaten people with disconnection if not paid by card

Return to “Social Concerns”