Kelowna has a low IQ

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Kelowna has a low IQ

Post by Glacier »

The radio just admitted that Kelowna has a low IQ. Here are the facts:
1) Babies that aren't breast fed have lower IQs.
2) Babies in Kelowna aren't breast fed very much.

The big question is how does breast feeding boost IQ? Is it because of the nutrition or is it because looking at breasts boosts IQ?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
allisongray

Re: Kelowna has a low IQ

Post by allisongray »

It has nothing to do with it, seems to be propaganda. My Husband was bottle fed, and is extremely gifted. He took Civil Engineering and was on the dean's list. Our two boys, who I only breast fed for two months due to medical issues, are both gifted and extremely smart. It has way more to do with DNA than breastfeeding, IMO.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

That's probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I think we are just beginning to understand what the benefits are but I know it's not from sexualizing breasts when it comes to feeding babies Glacier.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Maternal bonding is critical to a child's development, but breast feeding is not the sole source of maternal bonding.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

allisongray wrote:It has nothing to do with it, seems to be propaganda. My Husband was bottle fed, and is extremely gifted. He took Civil Engineering and was on the dean's list. Our two boys, who I only breast fed for two months due to medical issues, are both gifted and extremely smart. It has way more to do with DNA than breastfeeding, IMO.
Its a proven fact, parents overate their children's intelligence. What they consider well above average is really just average. Learning in a university today that also caters to the common denominator also proves nothing. Most, people are capable of being taught and the ones who actually pay attention and apply what they learn, rise to the top. It doesn't mean a superior intellect at all, but a better work ethic. I'm happy your family works hard.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

JLives wrote:I think we are just beginning to understand what the benefits are but I know it's not from sexualizing breasts when it comes to feeding babies Glacier.

It's an old joke (women say that men get less intelligent when they see breasts). In seriousness, I agree.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Research has shown that babies do better on mother's milk for a variety of reasons, mainly because they are totally adapted to it at birth. No allergic reactions, perfectly formulated for an infant. No other supplements needed. Has the correct hormones, enzymes and bacteria ( babies are born bacteria free but acquire all the beneficial bacteria from their mother and god forbid the local pub).
The delivery system is also perfectly suited to an infant.
Some infants are fed donated milk, others are fed milk expressed by the mother but fed to the infant by bottle.
The first 2 years of life see's the infants brain develop the most and contact with the mother is critical for that to happen.
Children from orphanages in eastern Europe were found to have less developed brains because they did not have enough human contact.
As weird as it sounds, grandmothers have been known to start producing milk when and where needed even though they may not have had babies for 30 years.
Waste not
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

Regarding the breastfeeding issue, from the BBC;

The research in Brazil traced nearly 3,500 babies, from all walks of life, and found those who had been breastfed for longer went on to score higher on IQ tests as adults. Regarding the findings - published in The Lancet Global Health - they stress there are many different factors other than breastfeeding that could have an impact on intelligence, although the researchers did try to rule out the main confounders, such as mother's education, family income and birth weight. Dr Bernardo Lessa Horta, from the Federal University of Pelotas in Brazil, said his study offers a unique insight because in the population he studied, breastfeeding was evenly distributed across social class - not something just practised by the rich and educated. Dr Horta believes breast milk may offer an advantage because it is a good source of long-chain saturated fatty acids which are essential for brain development. But experts say the study findings cannot confirm this and that much more research is needed to explore any possible link between breastfeeding and intelligence.

Regarding the sexualisation of breasts:

I find it odd that women are the ones that sexualise their breasts, and then are the ones that complain that their breasts are sexualised. I think that society would be better served if all of the money for studying breastfeeding vs intelligence was spent on studying the disconnect between women and their breasts. Just an opinion.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Joe Public wrote:Regarding the sexualisation of breasts:

I find it odd that women are the ones that sexualise their breasts, and then are the ones that complain that their breasts are sexualised. I think that society would be better served if all of the money for studying breastfeeding vs intelligence was spent on studying the disconnect between women and their breasts. Just an opinion.

Why are push up bras sold? Why are low cut necklines popular? Tight tops and so on, why? Because women want to look good and that includes having their breasts look good. I guess. I can't think of another reason for a push up bra if it isn't to make your breasts appear better shape or larger than they are.

Of course many women dress modestly and try NOT to show off their breasts and or draw extra attention to them, but many want the attention as it would seem from their clothing choices.

If I'm a muscular man and walk around in a muscle shirt, its probably because I want to show off the guns. I can admit that. Anyways, these are my casual thoughts and I have no real set in stone opinion about this, but just my guess.

PS; Whats the topic again?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Nobody "sexualized breasts" You only need to look at ancient art to see that men were always fascinated with breasts.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
allisongray

Post by allisongray »

Hmmm wrote: Its a proven fact, parents overate their children's intelligence. What they consider well above average is really just average. Learning in a university today that also caters to the common denominator also proves nothing. Most, people are capable of being taught and the ones who actually pay attention and apply what they learn, rise to the top. It doesn't mean a superior intellect at all, but a better work ethic. I'm happy your family works hard.

Sorry, but being gifted has nothing to do with hard work, it's more about how a person's brain is wired. Gifted people can understand and comprehend things on a much deeper level at a fraction of the time as a person with average intelligence. For example, In college, I did not have to work nearly as hard as my classmates but when we had a quiz or a test I was done in 5 minutes, usually with a perfect score or darn near close, and I barely studied most of the time (or didn't study at all). The rest of my classmates usually took close to the entire duration of the class to finish their tests, and didn't score even close to me. I'm not saying this to toot my own horn, but merely to demonstrate the profound difference between a normal brain and a gifted brain. Most gifted people are bored to tears in school, and actually suffer from a lack of motivation because they don't have to work hard to learn the material and just get frustrated that nothing in a traditional school challenges them.
ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

JLives wrote:I think we are just beginning to understand what the benefits are but I know it's not from sexualizing breasts when it comes to feeding babies Glacier.

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Mar 18th, 2015, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Grandan wrote:Research has shown that babies do better on mother's milk for a variety of reasons, mainly because they are totally adapted to it at birth. No allergic reactions, perfectly formulated for an infant. No other supplements needed. Has the correct hormones, enzymes and bacteria ( babies are born bacteria free but acquire all the beneficial bacteria from their mother and god forbid the local pub).
The delivery system is also perfectly suited to an infant.
Some infants are fed donated milk, others are fed milk expressed by the mother but fed to the infant by bottle.
The first 2 years of life see's the infants brain develop the most and contact with the mother is critical for that to happen.
Children from orphanages in eastern Europe were found to have less developed brains because they did not have enough human contact.
As weird as it sounds, grandmothers have been known to start producing milk when and where needed even though they may not have had babies for 30 years.

Actually my 4 month old was quite allergic to his mothers milk, but thanks for coming out learn the facts before you spout crap.
Noilly

Post by Noilly »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Mar 18th, 2015, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.

Return to “Central Okanagan”