13%
No, I don't trust them anymore
87%

Total votes: 137

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Valoroso . . . uh-oh!

Post by Bsuds »

Ken7 wrote:Would that also be considered fraud?

I believe changing the odometer on a car is illegal but unfortunately changing the BBD is not. We need to get that changed because until we do it's going to keep happening. Whether it's Valoroso's or anywhere else, I'm sure it's happening!

We have returned sliced meat to a Deli because it has a green tinge to it and been told that's normal. My reply was then you eat it because a roast at home never in my life ever turned this color!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

What do you expect the BBD to be doing for you?

There are too many labeling issues in manufacture and retail as it is.

Too many think these dates and codes mean something that is somehow going to "protect" them from everything their minds can make up.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

westbankkid wrote:
A statement like that shows a great amount of ignorance. That is why we have a health department. The store owner has to look out for health infractions not the customers.

It is not a health department issue.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Ken7 wrote:I'm not sure where your going with this... I used to help my father run our grocery store. This guy as I said was covering things. You are not telling me anything I did not see with him. As for drugs, I trust my pharmacist as I don't have a degree..and I wouldn't expect anything different on the topic of dead drugs.

I wasn't relating my whole response to your specific post, simply the part about discounting expired/expiring goods and be done with it.

The pharmacy point was all my own. And I don't have a degree...we just all abide by the same rules with regards to be honest about products and expiry dates.

Apologies if I made it sound like it all applied to your comment.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

"Best before" dates do not guarantee product safety. However, they do give you information about the freshness and potential shelf-life of the unopened foods you are buying.

The Valoroso organization has thousands of products, with probably 100's of varying shelf-lives. They are a well run machine at the best of times but like all organizations things do occur. They rely on their whole business community from the lowest employee to their largest customers and everyone in between to give them constructive criticism and suggestion for improvement and growth or change.

Every business does this in one manner or another. That is how they grow and become the types of businesses that last, such as the Valoroso family have.

As a long time member of the Kelowna business community it has been my pleasure to be surrounded by the founding families, such as the Valoroso family. I would not hesitate for a moment to recommend them to anyone and have been proud to take friends and family shopping when they come to town. This business is an Italian heaven to anyone who has ever shopped on the Drive!
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Always Sunny wrote:I wasn't relating my whole response to your specific post, simply the part about discounting expired/expiring goods and be done with it.

The pharmacy point was all my own. And I don't have a degree...we just all abide by the same rules with regards to be honest about products and expiry dates.

the problem is when you go for a drug that is more a safety labeling issue ... the BBD is not that and are specific about it.

Besides, when you get the prescription it states on the label when the expiry is of the drug, but even that is a type of BEST before .... does not mean that you take 2 instead of 1 because it is past the EXPIRY ... just means the effect diminishes as time goes by and unfortunately that is on a product by product basis and most common folk do not think to ask about that. Do not wish to know I guess. Feel safe passing that liability to the person behind the counter I guess.

To each their own on!
buteman
Fledgling

Post by buteman »

omisimaw wrote:Public opinion.... ROFLMAO

You do mean this little tiny thread on Castanet and the barrage of negative posts by that 80 what percent in the little poll indicating they would have no faith in this business ANY longer..... not that even 10% of that 80% have ever shopped or even knew of the existence of the business before it hit the "new posts" on the forum.

Add in that the majority of all those whining and crying over and supporting this type of employee surreptitious, disrespectful and unfaithfulness on this forum is really of any concern to a business of this size and excellent Canada and international business community reputation.

But in saying that those that have carried out this smear campaign should be held to account and well a little legal wrangle by the owner just might be the right way to go.

If this business was so horrible to work for then there would be a mountain of decisions against them with Employment Standards and Human Rights.... but alas nada!

" on this forum is really of any concern to a business of this size and excellent Canada and International business community reputation " ,,,, okay, I've finally stopped laughing ,, man you are good ! are you a professional comedian or amateur ? I guess you are one of those who would argue black is white.

There is NO smear campaign none whatsoever, and if you honestly believe in the complete and utterly ridiculous comment you made about Valoroso Foods having an " excellent business reputation " then perhaps YOU are the one I could sell that bridge to ,, you know that bridge down in San Francisco ,,,,

Valoroso Foods have been tampering with best before labels for years ,, deceptive business practices plain and simple ,, I'm utterly confused as to how Valoroso Foods could in anyone's widest dreams have an " excellent business reputation " ,,, utter nonsense !

And do yourself a favour ,, don't embarrass yourself by even suggesting " legal wrangle " they ( Valoroso Foods ) wouldn't stand a chance in Hell and you certainly wouldn't need any lawyer to advise them of that ,, they don't have a leg to stand on.
buteman
Fledgling

Post by buteman »

omisimaw wrote:Oh it just gets more humorous....

Now all you experts are starting to post pictures from your fridge of sale items and making like you now care about due dates.

If anyone is that anal about due dates they look before the till not after the till.... that is what goes on when you shop... or at least it should...

don't like the can because it has a dent then don't put it in your cart, don't like the lettuce cause the leaves are not to your liking, same thing, don't like the package because it seems TO YOU that it has been tampered with, then uh huh that does not go in the cart to the till either.

Liability for what you purchase is up to you and you alone.

All this after the fact information is a joke... totally unbelievable but then coming from the source that can not even accept the fact that the CFIA says nada wrong these individuals will argue till the cows come home that this business and its owner should not be trusted and no one should do business there.

Something ironic about a forum with a no bad biz review policy yet this goes on and is allowed because some wing nut disgruntled volunteer and supporters of disgruntled ex employees tried to poke the bear one more time.

Give your heads a shake .... there are reasons these minimum wage unskilled warehouse individuals are no longer employed there and you can bet it has nothing to do with the words "I quit".

What is a shame is this well known, well respected business has had to deal with this at all.

" What is a shame is this well known, well respected business " ,,, can't figure out what business you are describing ,, the discussion on this forum is regarding Valoroso Foods ,, a company who engages in deceptive business practices and has been doing so for years. Please enlighten us which " well respected business " were you referring to ??
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

omisimaw wrote:
As a long time member of the Kelowna business community it has been my pleasure to be surrounded by the founding families, such as the Valoroso family. I would not hesitate for a moment to recommend them to anyone and have been proud to take friends and family shopping when they come to town. This business is an Italian heaven to anyone who has ever shopped on the Drive!

You consider them to be a founding family?
Yikes......doesn't take much. I hate to tell you but Kelowna has been around just a little bit longer than since Joe showed up in the valley, or Canada for that matter.
I have spent a lot of money there for years and it has stopped. The parking lot was VERY empty there today, and I see it all the time. Your thought process on this one is flawed but if you want to continue to support them, fill your boots. Others will feel one of two ways.........the same or differently. Time will tell. I just know that it is just as easy to support someone who hasn't been caught engaging in explicit deception so I will do so.
You and 71 others Like this post
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Always Sunny wrote:I wasn't relating my whole response to your specific post, simply the part about discounting expired/expiring goods and be done with it.

omisimaw wrote:the problem is when you go for a drug that is more a safety labeling issue ... the BBD is not that and are specific about it.

Besides, when you get the prescription it states on the label when the expiry is of the drug, but even that is a type of BEST before .... does not mean that you take 2 instead of 1 because it is past the EXPIRY ... just means the effect diminishes as time goes by and unfortunately that is on a product by product basis and most common folk do not think to ask about that. Do not wish to know I guess. Feel safe passing that liability to the person behind the counter I guess.

To each their own on!

No, not all pharmacies put the BBD date on your prescription, I guarantee you that. But go to any reputable pharmacy and if they give you a course of anything (i.e. a round of antibiotics or a 30 day supply of Crestor) you're guaranteed it'll be within the BBD within the timeframe it's been prescribed.

"does not mean that you take 2 instead of 1 because it is past the EXPIRY" - thanks for that wise advice.

Come to think of it, maybe the liability of taking that drug is with YOU. As the customer the liability is on YOU to make sure that product is within the BBD, correct? I mean, if that's the case with it comes to the food you purchase, why not everything with an expiry date? /sarcasm.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

omisimaw wrote: As a long time member of the Kelowna business community it has been my pleasure to be surrounded by the founding families, such as the Valoroso family. I would not hesitate for a moment to recommend them to anyone and have been proud to take friends and family shopping when they come to town. This business is an Italian heaven to anyone who has ever shopped on the Drive!

"For 18 years, Valoroso Foods has supplied the staples of Italian and European cuisine to food devotees and culinary connoisseurs in the Okanagan and Canada-wide."
http://www.valorosofoods.com/company.php

"Father Charles M. Pandosy, a French Roman Catholic Oblate missionary, arriving in 1859 was the first European to settle at Kelowna, a place named "L'anse au sable" (Bay of Sand) in reference to the sandy shoreline. Kelowna was officially incorporated in May 4, 1905."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelowna#cite_note-4
Auto1
Board Meister

Post by Auto1 »

Oh Sunny... WELL DONE! If I could have given you a hundred 'likes' I would have.

I am fine if some people feel that they will keep going to Valoroso's. That will not be my choice. But the comments made by one individual are truly laughable!

I am sure Valoroso will be very glad for that person's patronage.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Mar 27th, 2015, 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Mar 27th, 2015, 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

omisimaw wrote:
The Valoroso organization has thousands of products, with probably 100's of varying shelf-lives. They are a well run machine at the best of times but like all organizations things do occur. They rely on their whole business community from the lowest employee to their largest customers and everyone in between to give them constructive criticism and suggestion for improvement and growth or change.

Every business does this in one manner or another. That is how they grow and become the types of businesses that last, such as the Valoroso family have.

You do all this just to make everyone laugh, don't you.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Central Okanagan”