13%
No, I don't trust them anymore
87%

Total votes: 137

LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Valoroso . . . uh-oh!

Post by LANDM »

The reason to close the doors for good would be if the business has dropped off enough to force that. I drive by there all the time and the parking lot since their voluntary closure and reopening has been very empty compared to before.
I haven't been in or talked to anyone there but the "driveby test" is showing that business has dropped off significantly.
You and 71 others Like this post
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

twofingers wrote:Mr. Valoroso's "Best Before" date has come and gone.

Not if he 'changes' the best before date.

But anyway - what a sad world when a handful of huge corporations sell every item of
food ever bought in Canada - and every other country in the world. And all the smaller companies go broke.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

What's weird is - I like the smaller European type grocery stores better,
and I hope they all stay in business but...........

I prefer to buy at the biggest stores. Not because it's cheaper. But because the stores are bigger.
More space. Can even self-checkout your own groceries if you want.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I, and many others, certainly hope they do.

If change is needed, then manage change. No reason at all to close the doors for good.

If any of the other 85 % of people who voted the same as I did in this particular poll still feel the same as I do ,and for the same reason I voted, it's over for Valoroso...

I don't think for a minute that this was an "isolated" thing and who knows how long this went on before he got caught or how long it will be before it starts again..

I won't take the chance.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

MAPearce wrote:
I don't think for a minute that this was an "isolated" thing and who knows how long this went on before he got caught or how long it will be before it starts again..

I won't take the chance.

Those are my thoughts as well. He'd be mad to tamper with his products at this point.

Smoke clears, time passes and customer complacency kicks in.

Why do i believe this? I've said it once and ill say it again; I really do believe his business model is profitable (primarily) because many of their staple items being imported are intentionally being purchased as expired or outside their BBD.

How many import shops have there been come and go over the years? The few that ive been aware of seemed to suffer a lack of margin in the products they sell - whether it be because of direct cost of product, logistics, etc.. .

How could people like valoroso being doing it then? Have they cornered the market in wholesale, retail supply of Italian/mediterranian imports? Well oiled supply and logistics? Maybe.

I worked with an RI license (registered importer) for years exporting vehicles to the US and few to the UK. In that business i met people who imp'd/exp'd all sorts, everywhere and im fairly sure that, from what i can remember, agencies like Canada Customs and whatever other branches of Gov't that are responsible for scrutinizing "food stuffs", are not worried so much about the freshness of products being imported but rather, if the item itself can legally be imported.

My guess is the above might contribute to the golden loophole, making/or giving someone importing perishables a free pass to shelf and sell expired items, unchecked.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Question. Is it not possible to have legislation for "mandatory" inspections on all restaurants, food stores, hot dog stands at least once a year and show their grading on their door to alert people as to their standing to give the customer a choice?
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

just popping in wrote:Question. Is it not possible to have legislation for "mandatory" inspections on all restaurants, food stores, hot dog stands at least once a year and show their grading on their door to alert people as to their standing to give the customer a choice?

...this was mentioned a few pages back - can't find atm...however, I believe it was also mentioned that this is standard practice in Ontario...

eta: My mistake - I believe it's only within the City of Toronto:
http://www.toronto.ca/health/dinesafe/system.htm
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

omisimaw wrote:What do you expect the BBD to be doing for you?

There are too many labeling issues in manufacture and retail as it is.

Too many think these dates and codes mean something that is somehow going to "protect" them from everything their minds can make up.

I find it interesting how you seem to always support those who break the law
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

It is this easy. Note the expired BBD, the black stroke over the bar code and the reduced price on the front.

Both are winners, consumer and retailer it is just that easy! Consumer knows it's a BBD soon and get the discount...win~win!
Attachments
100_4298.JPG
frellingdren
Fledgling

Post by frellingdren »

Ken7 wrote:It is this easy. Note the expired BBD, the black stroke over the bar code and the reduced price on the front.

Both are winners, consumer and retailer it is just that easy! Consumer knows it's a BBD soon and get the discount...win~win!

EXACTLY!

I have no problems stocking up on yogurt as it's about to reach its expiration date when the Superstore sells it at 50% with their bright pink sticker on it. That stuff freezes just fine!

It's about selling it at 50% off and letting me know so it's my choice to buy it, not at full price and faking the label.
I'm not even supposed to be here. I'm just "Crewman Number Six." I'm expendable. I'm the guy in the episode who dies to prove how serious the situation is. I've gotta get outta here.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Anybody go there since the reopen? Anybody think this is only about BBD's? Of course its about fraud, deceit and ethics, right? Glad thats settled. Put this on your calendar and the only CN forum thread to arrive at a logical and honest conclusion.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

sure....My sandwich last week was great!! and and a sumol..which I havnt had in a long long LONG time..Now that I know they have that as well...new best friend.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

I've been a customer for quite some time, and will continue to do so. Their product and service is far better than any chain store, and I like the experience; reminds me of Italy, where you cut a chunk of cinghiale off the freshly cooked beast on the sidewalk. Canadians have become too American, too antiseptic, too clean; for goodness sake, many wash their hands 100 times a day with chemicals.

Does anyone here not think that all the other stores do this as well?

I'll be there tomorrow.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

Joe Public wrote:Does anyone here not think that all the other stores do this as well?

I'll be there tomorrow.

have any other store been shown to be changing best before date? no they havent.

i wont be going to this store...EVER!
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Not to sound repetitive but it boils down to "intent" and "deceit". I think they intended to deceive their customers.

I think at this point we're beating a dead horse.

I will shop there again as well but right now i feel a bit cheated, like i need a hug.

or a free (parma) prosciutto sub...
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM

Return to “Central Okanagan”