Gofund Me Fails Kelowna

Steve-O
Übergod

Re: Gofund Me Fails Kelowna

Post by Steve-O »

I recently ran out of beer and asked my friends via facebook to help a brother out and help fund a beer run but no one stepped up to the plate. Not even a hug!!
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

I'm not on Facebook, so I didn't know...but next time you are zipping through town stop on by and I will share a beer or even a few with ya!
~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Bunnyhop wrote:I think it is ridiculous for a for-profit business to ask for donations to expand or grow their business. growth and expansion are funded from past profits, or through financing. If they don't understand that, they're going to run Tickleberries into the ground in no time.
I've supported one kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ri ... nav_search

The guys who did MST3K do live shows. In order to get the rights to some movies, they need a bit of funding. Basically they pre-sell a lot of videos and other goodies.

I don't see it as a donation though. I wanted them to make the products and to get in on some of the goodies.

Found the tickleberries kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66 ... nav_search.

If you would like to support this local business produce ice cream from locally grown and produced products, this one is for you. If not, don't.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To LordE ...

Sounds like investing rather than donating ??

"The Dragon's Den" T.V. show ??
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

In investing, you get a portion of the business and a chance to make money. With business kickstarters, you get a chance to have a product you want to have actually be built.

In neither case are you guaranteed success.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Captain Awesome wrote:And here I thought my post will be offensive to lawyers. Weird...

You'd be surprised about what can offend me.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

I can sort of see funding a new product or venture through a kickstarter campaign - there's lots of great ideas out there that might just need some initial help to get going.

The difference with Tickleberry's is that the business is already a going concern, and appears to be a successful business at that. They want to expand their business, and are asking people to donate money to fund their expansion. The two siblings have just bought the business and IMO haven't done anything to prove themselves capable of running the business, much less a successful expansion. That just smacks of an entitlement attitude to me. They have this great idea, but they want other people to fund it. Where's the risk to them?

I've always loved Tickleberry's and admired their business model. Their staff work hard, the place is clean, customer service is excellent, the product is exceptional. The two siblings have some big boots to fill.
Auto1
Board Meister

Post by Auto1 »

I agree, Bunnyhop.

I would like to add that their parents probably have a few bucks stashed away, partly from years of running a successful business, and partly from being 'bought out'. Why aren't the parents backing them? Maybe a deal of some sort?

In the end it is up to each of us to decide what we will support, but there are a few campaigns I can't stand behind.
Auto1
Board Meister

Post by Auto1 »

Then I see campaigns like this one (they made a square skateboard wheel) and total want to support it. It isn't local to Kelowna, but some of the ideas have been...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shar ... wheel#home

It is also from indiegogo, which is more funding for ideas, rather than sympathy.
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

I can see GoFundMe as a last resort but like many others here are saying... there are too many fakes.
This *self-entitlement* attitude needs to be changed. Get out there and work like crazy to achieve it, if you needs some funds, get a bank loan.
I think it started out as a genuine way to ask for help, then others came along to ruin it and are scamming for $.
I do see many of the GoFundMe projects double their expected goals. That is impressive. Then again, the family is coming in asking for a few thousand for help with medical, not half a million for a new house, car, and wardrobe.

If any of you really REALLY feel the need to lighten up your load of $$... email me and I would be glad to help you... but that is the type of person I am... helpful *snicker*

~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
rudiaschy_s

Post by rudiaschy_s »

Gofund Me you say?

This is good to know. I mean its sad to see how it fairs in the area so far but still. I've recently made it my personal cause to see that a playhouse and secure animal area is built for a disabled couple and their kid so she has a place to play and they don't have to keep the animals inside all of the time.

Being someone on disability myself you can imagine how hard it can be to get the funds or materials for a project like this together. So hearing about a site like gofund me is good regardless of the results it gets. Better to try and fail than not to try at all.

Because as I said, it's my personal mission to see these two disabled parents can see their little girl play in a safe playhouse.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Good for you rudiaschy_s, that sounds like a commendable endeavour.
rudiaschy_s

Post by rudiaschy_s »

Just hoping I can wrangle a trades student or two. :P

I can write a phone into the steering wheel of a car to give it a touch screen but wood and nails and such? Not so much. :P
kingsandman
Übergod

Post by kingsandman »

Sums up the "sense of entitlement" problem......
http://www.gofundme.com/u339zxxq
Model citizen......zero discipline.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Sorry, King, the link says the campaign can't be seen. Too bad. I get a kick out of people that ask for dumb things.

Return to “Central Okanagan”