No E cigs in parks

Puddlejumper40
Board Meister

Re: No E cigs in parks

Post by Puddlejumper40 »

Xia33 wrote:
yup....and has the most horrific side effects.....but the government will pay for a person to take that one. give up one bad habit for a plethora of other unknown effects. No thank you.

Yes, I heard a side effect could be autism...

You don't think there are unknown side effects with an unregulated e-cigarette?
Yours truly,

JollyJumper40 :)
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

Yes, I heard a side effect could be autism...

haven't heard that one, but suicide, depression, and a whole list.....but the government supports that. BS...As with natural medicine (from an actual ND) is not supported because the pharmaceutical companies cannot control natural products...same in this case. I have zero issues with controlling the use of the nicotine liquid in VAPE PENs, which, I might add, are NOT e-cigs, and in no way the same thing because e-cigs can be charged on a USB. control nicotine... by all means.....and b**ch and complain all you like...government will never ban tobacco products because of the tax money they make. Must make you cringe, hey?

As I have stated over and over....I know for a FACT that the liquid in my vape pen is a totally and completely natural product.
Last edited by Xia33 on Mar 25th, 2015, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puddlejumper40
Board Meister

Post by Puddlejumper40 »

Sige wrote:
Ahhh, you didn't specify "containing nicotine" and I am well aware of what google has to offer.

And because you're guessing, I'll tell you what *I* know about myself and my friends and the people that *I* know that use e-cigarettes. Every single one of them thought it was a great idea to use as a stop smoking aid, ie: NO NICOTINE. You still get the feel of a cigarette but not the nicotine. You can "guess" and "suspect" all you want. The bottom line is, it's not your business "why" people are using them. And really? It doesn't affect you one iota.

That has been my position all along as observed within my previous posts from the beginning.

I find it hard to believe one person has multiple friends who were able to stop smoking cigarettes cold turkey. One, maybe, several, hmmm.... How many times did they "quit" before they finally made it? All on the first go? Without ANY nicotine or medication?

The discussion here is why were they banned. They are typically used with nicotine. Using them with nicotine is illegal hence one of the reasons they were probably voted against when this bylaw was being discussed. I notice you ignore the study that was provided. Why?

It doesn't effect me is a little short sighted I think. There have been no long term studies done so we have no idea of the long term effects. If everyone needs extra "medical care" forty years down the road and every tax payer is helping pay for that, it IS other people's business.
Yours truly,

Puddlejumper40
Board Meister

Post by Puddlejumper40 »

I was kidding about the autism, trying to lighten the mood:). My poor joke was in relation to another thread/debate about the causes of autism...
Yours truly,

motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Are you sure E cigs with nicotine are not legal?You can buy nicotine products for E cigs in at least 3 stores that I know of in Kelowna
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

Puddlejumper40 wrote:That has been my position all along as observed within my previous posts from the beginning.

I find it hard to believe one person has multiple friends who were able to stop smoking cigarettes cold turkey. One, maybe, several, hmmm.... How many times did they "quit" before they finally made it? All on the first go? Without ANY nicotine or medication?

The discussion here is why were they banned. They are typically used with nicotine. Using them with nicotine is illegal hence one of the reasons they were probably voted against when this bylaw was being discussed. I notice you ignore the study that was provided. Why?

It doesn't effect me is a little short sighted I think. There have been no long term studies done so we have no idea of the long term effects. If everyone needs extra "medical care" forty years down the road and every tax payer is helping pay for that, it IS other people's business.

I don't really care if you find it hard to believe or not, it's irrelevant. I happen to have met these friends through a support system specifically for quitting smoking. I suspect you don't or have not smoked - if you did you would know that the nicotine addiction is easier to kick than the "habit" addiction, ergo - e-cigs with no nicotine.

Typically does not equal always.

I've been in the forums long enough to have learned that I put no stock in copy/pasted articles if they don't contain a link so I can go to the source, so yeah sorry, didn't even read it.

I won't even respond to your last comment about extra medical care...in this day and age "everything" gives you cancer or makes you sick depending on who you speak to or what new *study* they conduct.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Puddlejumper40
Board Meister

Post by Puddlejumper40 »

Sige wrote:I don't really care if you find it hard to believe or not, it's irrelevant. I happen to have met these friends through a support system specifically for quitting smoking. I suspect you don't or have not smoked - if you did you would know that the nicotine addiction is easier to kick than the "habit" addiction, ergo - e-cigs with no nicotine.

Typically does not equal always.

I've been in the forums long enough to have learned that I put no stock in copy/pasted articles if they don't contain a link so I can go to the source, so yeah sorry, didn't even read it.

I won't even respond to your last comment about extra medical care...in this day and age "everything" gives you cancer or makes you sick depending on who you speak to or what new *study* they conduct.

So, those "friends" aren't really "friends" but strangers you meet at a group meeting. Your story is much more believable now, after the true facts come to light.

If you think the "habit" of putting something in your mouth and sucking on it is hard to stop, there are other things you could use... gum comes to mind...

You didn't read it because it is damaging to the e-cigarette itself. A link could be provided, from the huffington post, but you have your own agenda.

Products that are unregulated or illegal can and will get banned in Canada. The city felt that it didn't want those in parks so deal with it. I would like to hang out at the beach and have a "beverage" but can't because other people would abuse it and it is illegal, so I respect that and deal with it. I want to let my dog run off leash at parks but certain people are irresponsible so there's a bylaw prohibiting it. I don't let my dog off leash and deal with it. E-cigarettes have been banned in parks so, deal with it.

I know, when it's all about "me,me,me" it's hard to be objective when discussing what you are not allowed to do in public.
Last edited by Puddlejumper40 on Mar 26th, 2015, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yours truly,

Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

motorhomebabe wrote:Are you sure E cigs with nicotine are not legal?You can buy nicotine products for E cigs in at least 3 stores that I know of in Kelowna

Not legal but probably too petty to waste the time enforcing. Unlike City Hall which seems to have lots of time for this kind of trivial stuff.
I birn quil I se
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

Puddlejumper40 wrote:So, those "friends" aren't really "friends" but strangers you meet at a group meeting. Your story is much more believable now, after the true facts come to light.

If you think the "habit" of putting something in your mouth and sucking on it is hard to stop, there are other things you could use...

You didn't read it because it is damaging to the e-cigarette itself. A link could be provided, from the huffington post, but you have your own agenda.

Products that are unregulated or illegal can and will get banned in Canada. The city felt that it didn't want those in parks so deal with it. I would like to hang out at the beach and have a "beverage" but can't because other people would abuse it and it is illegal, so I respect that and deal with it. I want to let my dog run off leash at parks but certain people are irresponsible so there's a bylaw prohibiting it. I don't let my dog off leash and deal with it. E-cigarettes have been banned in parks so, deal with it.

I know, when it's all about "me,me,me" it's hard to be objective when discussing what you are not allowed to do in public.

Ha ha haa ha ha much more believable because they're not "true" friends...true facts??? Are you for real?? That comment + refusing to post a link to an article you "quote" + "they've been banned so deal with it" = won't be wasting my time debating this issue further with you.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Puddlejumper40
Board Meister

Post by Puddlejumper40 »

Ha ha ha is right. Much more believable that numerous people at a "stop smoking" group have quit cold turkey as opposed to an individual who claims he has lots of friends who have quit cold turkey. If you don't understand why, rit IS time to end it debating with you...

I could post the article, or you could Google, not wasting anymore time with someone who feels they are allowed to do anything they want in life, even if it's illegal and bothers other people...

Bottom line, E-cigarettes are unregulated. Nicotine used in them is Illegal at this point in time. A bylaw was passed banning the use of them in public parks. Deal with it.
Yours truly,

Puddlejumper40
Board Meister

Post by Puddlejumper40 »

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1413069

Actually, I will post a link as it was in the New England Journal Of Medicine. The reason for the link now is because I read a bunch of articles and the Huffington Post's most recent article mentioned this study that was done. I said my quote was from the Huffington Post but I made a mistake and am correcting it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/dr-brett-b ... 07714.html?
Yours truly,

slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

"In many samples of the particulate matter (i.e., the aerosol) in “vaped” e-cigarettes, more than 2% of the total solvent molecules have converted to formaldehyde-releasing agents, reaching concentrations higher than concentrations of nicotine. This happens when propylene glycol and glycerol are heated in the presence of oxygen to temperatures reached by commercially available e-cigarettes operating at high voltage. How formaldehyde-releasing agents behave in the respiratory tract is unknown, but formaldehyde is an International Agency for Research on Cancer group 1 carcinogen."

"the incremental lifetime cancer risk associated with long-term cigarette smoking at 1 pack per day may then be estimated at 9×10−4. If we assume that inhaling formaldehyde-releasing agents carries the same risk per unit of formaldehyde as the risk associated with inhaling gaseous formaldehyde, then long-term vaping is associated with an incremental lifetime cancer risk of 4.2×10−3. This risk is 5 times as high (as compared with the risk based on the calculation of Miyake and Shibamoto shown in Figure 1), or even 15 times as high (as compared with the risk based on the calculation of Counts et al. shown in Figure 1) as the risk associated with long-term smoking."

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1413069
ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

Can you still smoke "pot" in the park?
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

A guy who worked for me for a short time does it all the time, so yes, till you get caught I guess. He sneaks a couple beer in there too. In his opinion the cops aren't after him they are after the dealers and suspicious looking people. He says he has had cops walk right by him to follow people who look like they are trying to find people to buy their stuff.

My thinking is if you don't Look like you are doing something wrong they won't even bug you, it's when you have something worth them finding and you know it they spot you. That's partly why I think this new law is a joke and a waste of office time and police efforts if they are actually expected to deal with it. I'd rather they bust those who are selling drugs to kids or stalking people to hurt them. That's what goes on in parks that matters to most of us. Someone with an e cig,,, get real, who cares?

My friends kid was attacked in a park a couple years ago, took forever to get him help, why? Probably because the cops were dealing with small stuff that really doesn't matter.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Kelownabusinessman
Fledgling

Post by Kelownabusinessman »

I vape in my office, I vape in the Mercedes dealership when I take my car for service, I vape while I shop for groceries I vape EVERYWHERE! some people mind, others don't...I let an elderly woman try it for the first time cause she was questioning it at the bank, she loved it..she actually went and purchased one herself for her and her husband.

Return to “Central Okanagan”