No E cigs in parks

Roadster
Time waster at work

No E cigs in parks

Post by Roadster »

Next up,,, no kids making noises in parks. Think about the icecream trucks being told they couldn't play their music in Westbank a couple years ago. Laws and rules, nothing but and it all comes down to no one going to those places anymore. I thought those using the e cig would have been a sign they were at least trying to comply to the smoking ban,,,

So you want people to quit smoking in parks, then they bring an e cig to help themselves do that. Now it's not allowed. Anyone notice parks are just that now,,, something to look at? I see many of them empty as compared to years ago just because there is almost nothing you can do in them. Why have those spaces for just the very few who do nothing but maybe scratch their butt in the park. There is seriously nothing left to do.
No smoking in bars,,, yup good idea, it's since shut down many businesses and left many not working, soon we won't need people to mow the grass in the parks because they will not be used by anyone, maybe a few but my tax dollars going to that work for a few? Maybe it's time we just shut down the city. Roll up the sidewalks and call it a day.

Anyone remember the song,,, Signs, signs, everywhere signs,,,

Ok there's some food for thought, you guys play with it, I said my bit, I don't go to parks anyway, hahahahaha
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: No E cigs in parks

Post by Captain Awesome »

You can use e-cigs in a library, but you can't use it in a park?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Zazzle

Post by Zazzle »

"Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?"

No E-Cigs seems silly to me. I don't smoke.
No drones also seems silly to me. I don't have a drone, yet.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

I find the e-cigarettes give me a screaming headache. I have been in a room with someone using one and it is like they are blowing incense around.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

gardengirl wrote:I find the e-cigarettes give me a screaming headache. I have been in a room with someone using one and it is like they are blowing incense around.

Quite a difference being in an enclosed environment vs. outdoors in large open spaces though.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

If you don't mind I'd like to open up the conversation to all the changes proposed.

*A prohibition on flying an unmanned aircraft or drones in a park without a permit.

Why in gods name is this a necessary change? Please, PLEASE somebody enlighten me on this.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

StraitTalk wrote:If you don't mind I'd like to open up the conversation to all the changes proposed.

*A prohibition on flying an unmanned aircraft or drones in a park without a permit.

Why in gods name is this a necessary change? Please, PLEASE somebody enlighten me on this.

...I think 3 of the biggest issues with the drones are the potential for injury to innocent bystanders; the fact they are almost always outfitted with camera/video so there's the whole privacy issue; and last but not least, this is Kelowna where one of the all-time biggest complaints citizens have is those straight-pipe Harleys - you really think they're going to tolerate the buzz from numerous drones flying overhead?...ultimately, you have the potential for an E-cig smoker getting hit with a quad-copter and on-board video of the collision being uploaded to YouTube so it's just all-round bad... :)
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

One thought I have is perhaps it's due to the difficulty to tell whether the person is smoking a cigarette or an e-cig?

Either way you see a puff of smoke from somebody, it's pretty hard without getting right up in their space to tell which they're smoking... FAR easier to ban both and know that if there's smoke, there's laws broken.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Swoop wrote:
...I think 3 of the biggest issues with the drones are the potential for injury to innocent bystanders; the fact they are almost always outfitted with camera/video so there's the whole privacy issue; and last but not least, this is Kelowna where one of the all-time biggest complaints citizens have is those straight-pipe Harleys - you really think they're going to tolerate the buzz from numerous drones flying overhead?...ultimately, you have the potential for an E-cig smoker getting hit with a quad-copter and on-board video of the collision being uploaded to YouTube so it's just all-round bad... :)

I have owned a drone for two years now. They're not that loud, and the noise they make is killed quickly by obstruction - it doesn't carry well. The danger to innocent bystanders reason I don't buy for a second, there is next to no risk involved flying these, you can stop any of the props with your finger without damage and they're super light. Not to mention that I have never once heard of someone being hurt by a drone. Certainly it has probably happened, but I really feel the risk is negligible. And I don't see why privacy would be an issue in a public park.

I don't get the sense you are against the idea of it either, just providing possibilities. I am really considering writing to one of our councillors to really look into the necessity for this change.

Drones are being used for videography/cinematography more and more, and I see this as an ill-thought regulation that will only limit peoples ability to share the beauty of our parks with everyone else. It really saddens me.

LeadingEdgeGlass wrote:One thought I have is perhaps it's due to the difficulty to tell whether the person is smoking a cigarette or an e-cig?

Either way you see a puff of smoke from somebody, it's pretty hard without getting right up in their space to tell which they're smoking... FAR easier to ban both and know that if there's smoke, there's laws broken.

I think you hit the nail on the head.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

gardengirl wrote:I find the e-cigarettes give me a screaming headache. I have been in a room with someone using one and it is like they are blowing incense around.

I have been in bars and work places where they were used, can hardly smell them since they don't let anything out till someone takes a drag off it and by the time it's filtered in their lungs and back out you can't smell anything,,, now incense, ya I get a headache right as I walk into someone's house who has burnt one. I'd say those are a hundred times stronger then an e cig. They actually burn smoke, not a steam which is inhaled by the smoker and that smoke is not filtered by anything, it's just let out into the air continually till it snuffs out.
Those e cigs are often a persons attempt to quit smoking and yet still it's not enough for the Non smokers. They must have one hundred per cent Their way or nothing. I know many now who have quit smoking using them as their smoking cessation tool. You'd think people would appreciate the cause they are offered for, not only to help someone quit but the fact that they don't let off any actual smoke.
It's not this that gets me, it the fact that to enter a park now you must read signs about prit near every little thing, seems like a bunch of tired old men own the parks and soon we will be taking our shoes off to enter. Why do we like so much to lock up our once had freedom, even in parks? Maybe those trying so hard to quit smoking should just chew Nicolette gum and spit it all over the park. Really, seems there is no pleasing anyone no matter what you do anymore. And again I don't go to parks, just tired of seeing every little thing buckled down to nothing for anyone. Soon we won't be allowed to blink the wrong way.
And to think, many who care about this or smoking,,, will they be out camping and sitting around a camp fire this summer? Yup, you bet.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

LeadingEdgeGlass wrote:One thought I have is perhaps it's due to the difficulty to tell whether the person is smoking a cigarette or an e-cig?

I agree, why let people Try to quit smoking the cigarette when we could just complain about the smoke instead?
Seems like an attemp to take something else away to me. We seem to like doing that.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Roadster wrote:And to think, many who care about this or smoking,,, will they be out camping and sitting around a camp fire this summer? Yup, you bet.

Give it a few more years ... campfires will be a distant memory too.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

Swoop wrote:

StraitTalk wrote:I have owned a drone for two years now. They're not that loud, and the noise they make is killed quickly by obstruction - it doesn't carry well. The danger to innocent bystanders reason I don't buy for a second, there is next to no risk involved flying these, you can stop any of the props with your finger without damage and they're super light. Not to mention that I have never once heard of someone being hurt by a drone. Certainly it has probably happened, but I really feel the risk is negligible. And I don't see why privacy would be an issue in a public park.

I don't get the sense you are against the idea of it either, just providing possibilities. I am really considering writing to one of our councillors to really look into the necessity for this change.

Drones are being used for videography/cinematography more and more, and I see this as an ill-thought regulation that will only limit peoples ability to share the beauty of our parks with everyone else. It really saddens me.

StraitTalk wrote:I think you hit the nail on the head.

...you're correct in that I'm not against quadcopters at all, and in fact am seriously looking into purchasing one for commercial use...as with a lot of "gadgets", there are those that misuse them, and do not take people's "personal space" into account and quickly become annoying and a nuisance, and can easily see how some would find them an intrusion on their day at the park...injuries however, are quite common, and I'm not sure about the size of the unit you have, but units such as the DJI Phantom, now a fairly common unit, can inflict some pretty serious cuts - especially when outfitted with carbon fiber props and no prop guards, as most are flown...again, your experienced flyers aren't the issue - it's the guy with a deep pocket that drops some big money on a complex unit and decides to take it to city park for the maiden flight to work the bugs out of the learning curve of flight dynamics, and record it all on the gimballed GoPro attached to it...ultimately, the restrictions are in my opinion being implemented as an easy way to curb an issue before it becomes one...closing the barn doors before the horses are out so to speak...
SexySadie

Post by SexySadie »

The science of banning E-Cigs is not there yet. Dr. Margaret Chan presented her findings to WHO (World Health Organization) in May of 2014. You can read it below but it basically says that we shouldn't be too worried about the vapor mist that is released into the air and therefore it can do no harm to those around the mist. It says that by continually banning a harm reduction product we are basically encouraging the use of Nicotine and that if we take away the right to use these without having done the hard scientific studies that they need than we are condemning future and present ( 1.3 billion world wide) to disease and possible death by the continued use of cigarettes. She feels that it is inappropriate to apply legislation designed to protect bystanders or workers from tobacco smoke to vapor products. She states that there is at present no evidence of material risk from vapor emitted from e-cigarettes. She further states that decisions on whether it is permitted or banned in a particular space should rest with the owners or operators of public spaces. The City of Kelowna is the operator of our park but not the owner and as such has no right to make laws regarding untested science and concerns not based in fact. Yes there are unknowns but by banning E-Cigs we are condemning future generations with becoming addicted and eventually becoming sick or dying from a regular tobacco cigarette. Some may say keep at out of public spaces but understand why before you support the by-law. Please see the report for further information.

http://nicotinepolicy.net/documents/let ... etChan.pdf

It is not a by-law that should be past. Please phone or write the city councilors responsible for voting in favor of this by-law and ask that they research the facts before just simply jumping on the band wagon of "their enlightened opinion that they are protecting their citizens".
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Usual cigarettes look like cigarettes. Electronic cigarettes look more like sex toys, they're much larger than cigarettes. Also, smoke looks completely different, more like vapor that goes away almost instantly.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Central Okanagan”