Do you know what's on your fork, Kelowna?

GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Do you know what's on your fork, Kelowna?

Post by GrooveTunes »

So when you go to friends for dinner/bbqs, do you watch them every second while they cook your food? Do you check the best before dates? Just curious.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

GrooveTunes wrote:So when you go to friends for dinner/bbqs, do you watch them every second while they cook your food? Do you check the best before dates? Just curious.

I hate people, I can't remember the last time I ate food that wasn't prepared by me.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:I hate people, I can't remember the last time I ate food that wasn't prepared by me.

Perhaps he should have put a disclaimer that his comment only applies to people who have friends!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Captain Awesome wrote:Perhaps he should have put a disclaimer that his comment only applies to people who have friends!

I have friends, I just find them a lot of work and I don't always enjoy the fact that I have friends.
thankfully I'm moving soon :D
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Perhaps he should have put a disclaimer that his comment only applies to people who have friends!

Nom_de_Plume wrote:I have friends, I just find them a lot of work and I don't always enjoy the fact that I have friends.
thankfully I'm moving soon :D

Unless the move is to Mars I'd imagine you'll still encounter some people. 8-P

As to the topic of what's on your fork, I'm all for cleanliness as in washing hands and utensils, particularly when switching from meat to veggies, and I'd hope that all reputable establishments endeavour to do the same, that said though I also believe that no amount of vigilance can prevent all issues.

As an example I recall that there was a problem with some produce from California, that had the bacteria actually inside the leaves, not just on the surface where you could wash it off.

I think having every item we eat lab tested to make sure it's perfect might be a tad costly.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:I hate people, I can't remember the last time I ate food that wasn't prepared by me.

I totally agree with you! I have only had commercially made food products 4 times in the last 3 years. The last time, I became so sick during the night and the next day that, I swore I will never eat their food again. I still get the craving for some french fries though, but I can't have fries without a burger......ALL this talk of food doesn't help, but remembering the last bout of food poisoning helps me stay on track.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

GrooveTunes wrote:So when you go to friends for dinner/bbqs, do you watch them every second while they cook your food? Do you check the best before dates? Just curious.

Yes. And maybe not coincidentally, may be why I don't get invited back very often.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
As an example I recall that there was a problem with some produce from California, that had the bacteria actually inside the leaves, not just on the surface where you could wash it off.

Wasn't that from the Mexicans pooping on the field?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I totally agree with you! I have only had commercially made food products 4 times in the last 3 years. The last time, I became so sick during the night and the next day that, I swore I will never eat their food again. I still get the craving for some french fries though, but I can't have fries without a burger......ALL this talk of food doesn't help, but remembering the last bout of food poisoning helps me stay on track.

well, there's your problem. By removing yourself from situations where you might be exposed to horrendous germy food that has been handled by "scumbags" Still JK, your body has no tolerance.

The rest of us? we could eat a potato skin off the floor next to the toilet in a roadside struck stop and never even get a twinge.

So, when the world comes to an end, and it will, us that choose to eat scummy germy food will survive just fine. Right alongside the cock roaches and the bottle flies.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:

Bman wrote:Wasn't that from the Mexicans pooping on the field?

I don't recall the exact specifics but something about contaminated irrigation ditches comes to mind, and yes I believe human waste was part of the equation.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Yes, I know what's on my fork.

I shot it, retrieved it to the truck, cleaned it, skinned it, washed it down, butchered, and into my deep freeze.

Wouldn't have it any other way.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Pay to support local?

by Castanet Staff | Story: 136181 - Mar 26, 2015 / 4:13 pm

Would you pay more to consume locally sourced food and beverages at local restaurants?

Take the poll...here's the link...

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#136181
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

$10.00 for a glass of local wine?? (the glasses are also really really small)! Pay more for local? Or pay more for more profit for the restaurant owner??
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I am happy to pay more for products that come from first the Okanagan and second BC. I am also more than happy to pay more for food products that I know FOR CERTAIN are raised, grown, produced and processed ethically. I know what it takes to do that. I appreciate it and am willing to pay more. Nothing makes me happier than to prepare a meal or eat a meal that features products that come from our Valley and BC.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Logically wouldn't local foods cost less due to transport being cheaper?

Return to “Central Okanagan”