2015 Citizen Survey

Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

2015 Citizen Survey

Post by Relentless »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#137391

This time they randomly conducted telephone interviews with "301" Kelowna residents.

Now, only 301 random people are taking a City survey which should be made available to all residents, what a joke!
Maybe for 2016, they will get 24 people and call it good enough!
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: 2015 Citizen Survey

Post by wanderer »

UltraViolet wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-137391-1-.htm#137391

This time they randomly conducted telephone interviews with "301" Kelowna residents.

Now, only 301 random people are taking a City survey which should be made available to all residents, what a joke!

Is it just me? I tend to be distrustful of these surveys, even though they say this was random what proof it wasn't targeted. Their word?
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

To me, being 'somewhat satisfied' is exactly the same as being 'somewhat dissatisfied'. They simply forced people to choose one or the other so it skews the results because it might very well possible that most people will err on the positive side.

Not only is the wording in the study skewed but I truly believe that the results are too. I have lived in Kelowna for about 30 years now and I can honestly say that a large percentage of people that live here feel trapped in a city that provides horrible jobs and has a sunshine tax that makes it even harder to live properly. Sure, people could just move but for many it's not that simple, they live here because there family is here or their work is here.

I call BS on this survey, it is NOWHERE even close to reality. The cost of living is sky high, our city council procrastinates like a champion and our roadways are congested and full of road rage. Our city parks are filled with drug dealers and users. Our crime rate is through the roof. There is now way you can convince me that 95% of people thing Kelowna has a good quality of life.

I have always enjoyed being in Kelowna but I put on a pair of 'mental' blinders every time I leave my house because if I didn't I'd be *bleep* off every day. To me, Kelowna and area is an extremely beautiful place to live. There are many good people here and alot of positives going for it. I'd be a fool to think that we don't have alot of serious problems though, many of which could have been fixed or partially fixed if our city council did their job properly. I look at other cities similar to Kelowna in size and many of them don't have the severity of issues like we do.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

agree its a bs survey , its was just something for someone to do, to make Kelowna look better then it really is, this bs survey is now in syberspace for everyone one to read these lies that's all
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

the truth wrote:agree its a bs survey , its was just something for someone to do, to make Kelowna look better then it really is, this bs survey is now in syberspace for everyone one to read these lies that's all

This is Exactly my point!
Make Kelowna look better on the Internet to attract more people, so they can build more houses and collect more tax dollars!
This survey was an absolute joke.
I suggested to the Mayor to have an online survey for all residents to complete, so they can see what areas need improving.
It's pretty obvious that all they want to do is push more development for the rich and famous, and could care less about fixing all the outstanding issues!
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

UltraViolet wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-137391-1-.htm#137391

Did you think that maybe they only had 301 people that didn't hang up on them? I know when I get a "survey" phone call they are requested to remove my number from their list before they can get more than 5 words into their spiel.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Number of years ago I was randomly called and asked to participate in a CofK survey. I stopped it midstream as the questions were loaded towards how good Kelowna is. So I dont trust any surveys the city puts on.
beancounter
Board Meister

Post by beancounter »

I read this as:
They "randomly" selected 301 people.... who still have landlines and have the time to participate in such a survey. Aka... likely own a house and are not struggling to eke out an existence using public transit while living in an over priced apartment (if they are lucky).
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

Did anyone complaining on here actually read the report? Based on some of the responses I'd assume not. Might be worthwhile before making assumptions....

Sample for the survey included a mix of landline and cell phone numbers. The final sample was split 25% cell phones and 75% landlines. Residents were asked upfront whether or not they lived in the City of Kelowna to validate residency.

The 301 sample size is fine for the city's size. Its called statistics (math). The results from 301 people surveyed are a much more accurate representation than 10 people on a forum, even if you disagree with them. And its funny that on one hand people complain about not being consulted, and at the same time state they hang up when asked to participate. rofl.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

John500 wrote:Number of years ago I was randomly called and asked to participate in a CofK survey. I stopped it midstream as the questions were loaded towards how good Kelowna is. So I dont trust any surveys the city puts on.

It would not surprise me if the current Mayor submitted his support list for the purpose of the calling list. You always want it to look like you are making things turn about when in power. However, when one is spoken to anonymously they sometimes are less forgiving!
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

slootman wrote:The 301 sample size is fine for the city's size.

I couldn't disagree with you more!

With nearly 100,000 residents, at least 40,000 from all areas of the valley should have had a chance to voice their opinions to makeup a reasonable survey number, including all income levels!

The phone survey right off the bat was the wrong way to deal with it.
An online survey open for 3 months to allow people to do it when they are comfortable, would have proven useful.
As it is, it proves nothing, and doesn't include enough people to base anything on, math or Not!

Return to “Central Okanagan”