Moving downtown?

I am Canadian
Banned

Moving downtown?

Post by I am Canadian »

Poll: With the population growing rapidly in the city, do you think Kelowna should allow more highrises & building projects along Okanagan Lake or do you think the city should rename the current downtown as "historical" while leaving the shores as natural as possible for the enjoyment of the population and instead slowly moving the city core and new towers around the modern Landmark buildings?

I was recently looking at old Kelowna photos and it's sad to see how the downtown shores have changed over the years. Another suggestion could be to move the downtown marinas inland and give back Okanagan Lake to the public with a more natural state with sandy beaches without hundreds of boats floating around.

How do you see Kelowna in 20, 30 years from now? What would you do to create a better kelowna?
Last edited by I am Canadian on Apr 14th, 2015, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Moving downtown?

Post by Captain Awesome »

Chances are there will be highrises downtown as well as Landmark area.

Don't understand the appeal of crummy old stores though. They should slowly bulldoze them one by one, and build something more appealing.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
I am Canadian
Banned

Post by I am Canadian »

I personally think Okanagan Lake is Kelowna's biggest asset and it's extremely sad to see it turn into a private for the rich place to store my million dollar boat, inaccessible and polluted cheap Vancouver wannabe concrete copy.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

agree............
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Lerfy
Board Meister

Post by Lerfy »

I am Canadian wrote:I personally think Okanagan Lake is Kelowna's biggest asset and it's extremely sad to see it turn into a private for the rich...

There are hundreds of kilometers of lakeshore along Okanagan Lake. I have no problem with the 10 block radius that is the Downtown core being developed. I personally can't begin to fathom what people's big complaint is in developing the downtown area, especially when the ones complaining are usually the same ones saying they will never go downtown anyways. When you look at what has been done to the downtown waterfront in the past decade, it seems to me that it has been made far MORE accessible to the public. The Stuart Park skating rink, replacing the private party boat docks with a public dock, the planned upgrades to City Park, the public restaurant which is about to open where the previously private yacht club and horribly placed seniors centre were located... it seems to me that there is far more for the public to do at the downtown lakeshore than there ever was before.

Again, if you don't like what is being made available for the public downtown, try one of the other 200-300 km of lakeshore and you're sure to find somewhere you like.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Or allow the highrises downtown, but only zone them a few blocks back from the lake? Nothing wrong with those buildings, they make for a vibrant area, but it would be nice to preserve the actual lakeshore. Kelowna ain't the little town it used to be.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Vancouver high rises don't occupy the shore. People are free and accessible to enjoy it anytime.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Vancouver high rises don't occupy the shore. People are free and accessible to enjoy it anytime.

Right. That was my point. Build up the downtown core, but keep it back from the lakeshore.
Lerfy
Board Meister

Post by Lerfy »

onestop67 wrote: Build up the downtown core, but keep it back from the lakeshore.

I have no problem with them building a highrise on Water Street or Abbot Street. If people want buildings further back than that, then they can go down the road and leave the downtown area to those of us that appreciate the hustle and bustle of a busier downtown district. I'm excited to see the hotel built on the site of the old Willow Inn. I believe it will be a huge attraction. I have friends who come up every year to stay at the Grande because of its location on the water, and I imagine that the new tower will provide a similar experience. I'm am excited to see the local bars, restaurants, and shops benefit from the people that the new hotel and various new construction downtown will bring. All in all, I like what is happening downtown and welcome a little more of it.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

onestop67 wrote:Right. That was my point. Build up the downtown core, but keep it back from the lakeshore.

Which is exactly what we are doing. You can walk from Sunset to the bridge uninterrupted.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

onestop67 wrote:Right. That was my point. Build up the downtown core, but keep it back from the lakeshore.

What difference does it make? No highrise building is ever allowed to actually sit on lakeshore restricting access. Rich people can enjoy coffee with croissants on their patio while you walk past their building enjoying the lake view. Same with Vancouver. Nobody needs to be concerned with buildings taking over the lakeshore.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

As Jenny said you can walk the beach and boardwalk . I think they have done a great job, so far.We all miss the sleepy old small town atmosphere, but time marches on.At one time it was just build and develop , fill and bulldoze anything in the way. I am happy to see the developers and council working to insure green spaces and wet lands.
Kelownabusinessman
Fledgling

Post by Kelownabusinessman »

"You better start swimmin' Or you'll sink like a stone. For the times they are a-changin'."

Return to “Central Okanagan”