Question(s) about moving back to Kelowna

6StringSG

Question(s) about moving back to Kelowna

Post by 6StringSG »

Hello. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I moved to Kelowna last August from Toronto on a whim, in search of a lifestyle change etc. I fell in love with the area instantly, but did run into some problems (mostly lack of stable work after Labour Day), which eventually led to my return back East 6 months later.

I work in the hospitality industry. I'm a cook with my Red Seal, and have over 20 years of experience. I'm 40, with no kids, or family. I've again prepared myself financially with about a years salary in savings, so if I need to tough it out for a while, that's ok. When I was out there before, there were hardly any jobs available after Labour Day. I've been following the classifieds everyday since I've been back and have noticed MANY more jobs begin to get advertised around February and March. Would I stand a better chance or have better luck in securing full time year round work if I arrived after the new year when I see these jobs listed, and are most of them going to end up being seasonal until the summer is over. I am fully aware that I will be taking a pay cut most likely than what I am accustomed to here, and that is ok with me. I really miss it out there and would like to give it another go. Thanks for your time.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: Question(s) about moving back to Kelowna

Post by Barney Google »

Experienced and dedicated kitchen staff are sometimes hard to find...one of Kelowna's newest HOT SPOTS is hiring...

The Curious Artistry & Alchemy Café

Good Luck...the kitchen team and Chef Braun are incredible!
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
buteman
Fledgling

Post by buteman »

Oh this should have a few folks jumping ,,, I've been a food professional for many years, here's my opinion, this is what I have experienced in dining out in Kelowna.

For the most part ( not all ) ,, high prices, small portions, marginal food, indifferent service ,,, and God help you if you don't leave a gratuity !

Now, with the credentials you posses you should have no difficulty finding stable employment in the restaurant industry here in Kelowna. Well qualified chefs can always find employment, I know we are not talking about line cooks but I have a golf pal that works as a line cook in a busy pub.

He does quite well between wages and shared gratuities averaging around $ 3700.00 per month.
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

i think that you have correctly assessed the situation, restaurants in Kelowna are seasonal and many good restaurants fold during the winter. This is due to the Valley's reliance on seasonal tourist income and a lack of industrial employment for potemtial customers. Not much you can do about that.

But it is a nice place to live and if you still want to move here, like the rest of us, you need to adjust your lifestyle to seasonal work. Housing costs and the cost of living is prohibitively expensive, so not having a family to support is a plus.

Perhaps a plan which assumes that you only work in the summer, and then travel in the winter? Or work in Vancouver in the winter?

Good luck.
OgopogoO
Board Meister

Post by OgopogoO »

Joe Public wrote:Housing costs and the cost of living is prohibitively expensive, so not having a family to support is a plus.

Not if you rent. There are many "landlords" generously subsidizing their tenants once you factor in house price-to-rent ratio. It may be tricky to find good accommodations, but you just need to be persistent.
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

If you are already in Toronto, I'd look hard at East or Southwest Ontario before moving back here. Yes, the scenery & weather are nice, but making a serious living here - particularly in your field - is brutal. Retire here when you've made your money elsewhere; that's what most of us do.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

A new Cactus Club is opening this year at the yacht club and is hiring for all positions. I reckon that would be worth a shot. It's open year round.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

A red seal chef working at a box store style restaurant?
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

A job is a job in this city.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
I am Canadian
Banned

Post by I am Canadian »

Why would a red seal cook want to come back to earn a meager $14 bucks an hour? Stay where you are and come for a visit once in a while.
6StringSG

Post by 6StringSG »

Thanks for all the input everyone, it is much appreciated. I have much to think about before I make a sound decision. Thankfully, I have time on my side to weigh the pros and cons as I'm here anyways until early 2016. I don't have a problem taking the pay cut to be able to live out there, I'm more worried about securing continous year round full time work, and not something that is just seasonal. Thank you.
I am Canadian
Banned

Post by I am Canadian »

If you want to secure year round employment, I suggest you look into high-end restaurants relying on local patrons instead of mom & pop kitchens which are more tourist based.

Good luck!
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

You could always work at a nice winery restaurant in the summer and Big White in the winter. There are a few nice restaurants attached to wineries open year round that do keep a core group in the winter, Quails' Gate, Mission Hill. Once a Sous or CDC position opens up you are set.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I am Canadian wrote:Why would a red seal cook want to come back to earn a meager $14 bucks an hour? Stay where you are and come for a visit once in a while.

Because they *want* to move here and likely don't have the negative attitude that you espouse and the limitations imposed on what is achievable that you imply.
Why are you here?
Why don't you move away to make a few more bucks if that is the attitude?
You and 71 others Like this post
I am Canadian
Banned

Post by I am Canadian »

I am Canadian wrote:Why would a red seal cook want to come back to earn a meager $14 bucks an hour? Stay where you are and come for a visit once in a while.

LANDM wrote:Why don't you move away to make a few more bucks if that is the attitude?

LOL. Why don't you move away if that is the attitude? You sound like a cassette we hear too often on this forum. But, but, but... you are the cassette. Next.

Return to “Central Okanagan”