ATV crash badly injures 2

goatboy
Guru

ATV crash badly injures 2

Post by goatboy »

OK, don't want to be a total d***, but he works in the oil patch (just got laid off), she's a nurse and they haven't planned well enough financially that they can afford their vet bill? Is it just me or are there other far more deserving things to donate to than a couple who aren't very good with their money? I suppose they could always sell the ATV to pay for the vet bill.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/138499/ATV-crash-badly-injures-2
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: ATV crash badly injures 2

Post by Hmmm »

goatboy wrote:OK, don't want to be a total d***, but he works in the oil patch (just got laid off), she's a nurse and they haven't planned well enough financially that they can afford their vet bill? Is it just me or are there other far more deserving things to donate to than a couple who aren't very good with their money? I suppose they could always sell the ATV to pay for the vet bill.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/138499/ATV-crash-badly-injures-2

Sounds like a series of dumb mistakes. Yes these people need help and yes, they should have plenty of money in the bank, but obviously don't. I do find it hard to understand how two people with well paying jobs don't have at least some credit cards to cover this.

Maybe they don't want to spend their own money which is earmarked for a nice holiday?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I feel sorry for the Dog!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Noilly

Post by Noilly »

Yep.... not much sympathy from this poster!!!!
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

...exactly how did the world turn before "GoFundMe" came about?...I'm with goatboy - not trying to be completely without compassion, but really, donating to a worthy cause usually falls outside the parameter of people with very good incomes...yes, you may have to put off that trip to Mexico to fix Rover's hip - that's the way things go sometimes...doesn't mean you put the guilt trip on every animal lover out there so your vacation plans can stay intact...me thinks some people have been watching the CrocTalk shenanigans a little too closely...how about rather than looking for handouts - you sell that dangerous quad?...
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

One thing to consider is if she is an LPN they do not make near the money that RN's make--people hear nurse and assume high wages and do not realize that many nurses are not RN's. She may be an RN ....but maybe not. And he may have been making good money working in the oil patch but maybe not it really depends on his job. I know many people who are making average money in Alberta and some working by the hour labor or driving jobs Etc that really aren't making that much money but can't find any work in the OK.

The article did say she is a licensed nurse...That usually means LPN which is not high wages.
Last edited by Temet Nosce on Apr 26th, 2015, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The people of Nepal truly have a need for help.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Bsuds wrote:I feel sorry for the Dog!

Me too!
Also, I am a bit confused over the story about the series of events that took place leading up to the crash, personally I don't buy the story, you just don't roll a quad because your dog is on the trail, you need to be going at a pretty good rate of speed, or not in control of the motor vehicle you are driving!

Now they want everyone to chip in and help pay vet bills because someone wasn't responsible, go figure!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I think you've said what a lot of us are thinking.

We don't necessarily know the ins and outs of these people's finances, so perhaps they truly don't have the cash in the bank. That said, if I were put into a position where I needed the $5,000 they are aiming for with GoFundMe, there are a lot of other avenues I would explore before calling upon the continued kindness of strangers.

There are RRSPs that could be cashed out. A line of credit to utilize. A used car I could sell. One or two fewer weddings I attend this summer. Maybe I wouldn't be going home for Christmas, etc.

As another poster said, what did everyone do before crowd funding?
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Very easy to roll a quad - feel bad for the dog.
Money?who knows sometimes things happen at the worst possible time.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The dog/pet is the only one in this story I feel for, saving for the future should be important part of household unit.
Having toys way down on that list
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Im sure the guys hurting and all, but to me that photo looks a little staged. ..Mmmm maybe Im wrong, but is he expecting an important call
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

vinnied wrote:Im sure the guys hurting and all, but to me that photo looks a little staged. ..Mmmm maybe Im wrong, but is he expecting an important call

...you never play games on your phone to pass the time?...being laid up in a hospital bed - texting is a nice way to keep in touch...
...again, I'm not completely without compassion, and not suggesting this guy/these two are to be tarred and feathered (which is a turn events some topics have a tendency to do on here)...however, the general feel for an oil rig worker and a nurse looking for a handout is not going to sit well with many...doesn't mean they can't have a phone...
Last edited by Swoop on Apr 26th, 2015, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

no actually i dont, regardless. i dont think hes sleeping
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Oh thank goodness I am not the only one with these thoughts.
After I read the story, I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact the wife started the *go fund me* the very next morning. Shouldn't your concern be with your hubby? Let a friend, neighbor do that, but it all seems money related to me. I also felt she had the dog's interest first due to her speculating the vet bills, and not as concerned for her hubby.
Sounds like a quick money grab to me.

~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~

Return to “Central Okanagan”