Re: Issues with becoming a city...

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Sounds like more of the same drum, beaten by a different stick. Change is not always a bad thing. I suppose if one really wants to, it is entirely possible to conjure up all kinds of problems that might result from change, and in doing so make things stay the same forever. The big ticket items of any budget don't really change much through a change like this. Public safety costs are always a huge ticket item.. policing being number. it matters not whether you call yourself a District of or a City of, the costs are the same. I think most people would agree that there is something ambiguous about the "District of" identity. Some peoples immediate reaction is a question as to what it is... do you have a mayor and council?
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

A member of the council was asked a question similar to this, " Will the reimbursible structure for council and mayor remain unchanged should the district become a city. No answer has been received, lo, these many weeks.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Is it too late to just be annexed by Kelowna?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

I dont care if its a city or not since they changed the name but I love how council and any town council uses the alternate voting process to vote no against something that they try to cram through. everyone knows that no one votes.

its like they could probably say we are gonna sell a town asset to balance budget..but if you dont want that to happen...then come and vote no....oh well no one voted...lets sell the waterfront.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I have not been following this story, but the BC government has defined terms. If your municipality is under a certain population density then it is classified as a "District Municipality." Once you become dense enough you can apply to be a city, town, or village (depending on your total population). Is West Kelowna dense enough?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

Certain areas of West Kelowna are certainly dense.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

A population center only needs 5000 residents to qualify as a city. WK far exceeds that. In fact WK is more populous than either Vernon or Penticton.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

Omnitheo wrote:Is it too late to just be annexed by Kelowna?

Worst mistake they could ever do. fortunately smart enough to realize that when the vote was taken. Kelowna's taxes have risen faster than West Kelowna.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Omnitheo wrote:A population center only needs 5000 residents to qualify as a city. WK far exceeds that. In fact WK is more populous than either Vernon or Penticton.

I'd like to know where you get your "facts."

I don't know that you understand the difference between a district municipality and a city. Hint: it's not the population size. Double-hint: West Kelowna needs 61,000 people to meet the criteria.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

What are the advantages of being designated a city?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Fancy wrote:What are the advantages of being designated a city?

One thing is the confusion. My relatives from Ontario drove across Canada, and they were confused when entering West Kelowna. They thought it was some sort of district within the city of Kelowna.
- Douglas Murray
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

Glacier wrote:I have not been following this story, but the BC government has defined terms. If your municipality is under a certain population density then it is classified as a "District Municipality." Once you become dense enough you can apply to be a city, town, or village (depending on your total population). Is West Kelowna dense enough?

The Province changed the rules for City designation at West Kelowna's request as they don't meet the criteria for being a city under the old rules.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

Fancy wrote:What are the advantages of being designated a city?

There was an official statement some months ago that this appellation is merely cosmetic. (Sorry, I can't attribute the statement to an official. It is, however part of the public record - in one of the local newspapers).
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

westbankkid wrote:The Province changed the rules for City designation at West Kelowna's request as they don't meet the criteria for being a city under the old rules.
That doesn't sound right. Source?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mu ... bia#Cities
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

inquisitive wrote:There was an official statement some months ago that this appellation is merely cosmetic. (Sorry, I can't attribute the statement to an official. It is, however part of the public record - in one of the local newspapers).

That makes sense and easier to say City of....

Return to “Central Okanagan”