SD23 has doubled school bussing fees!

dorito
Fledgling

SD23 has doubled school bussing fees!

Post by dorito »

I don't recall any type of news release or announcement but found out rather by accident today that all the fees are doubled for the coming school year. I could understand a small increase, but a 100% increase in one year is ridiculous!

http://www.sd23.bc.ca/ProgramsServices/ ... fault.aspx
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: SD23 has DOUBLED school bussing fees!

Post by pbear »

The school boards have been saying loudly for months that the increased loading of expenses on school board budgets balanced with the mandate to reduce "low hanging fruit" is going to result in user fees increasing.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Since when does the school bus even have fees?
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

it was originally 200 a few years ago and the price dropped for last year. I assume ridership is down and they need to re-coup costs somewhere.

I don't have a problem with the fee's. I'm a firm believer it's not up to tax payers to pay or get your kids to school.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Triple 6 wrote:it was originally 200 a few years ago and the price dropped for last year. I assume ridership is down and they need to re-coup costs somewhere.

I don't have a problem with the fee's. I'm a firm believer it's not up to tax payers to pay or get your kids to school.

I clap for you!! You are likely one of few who think this way.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

There were no school buses when I went to school in the lower mainland a few... years ago.
kelownawriter
Fledgling

Post by kelownawriter »

That looks close to what it cost when I was in middle school and that was over a decade ago, not that far. More than fair for a year of having a child being bussed around. Fuel, maintenance, and above all else the driver having to deal with the kids. Few parents want to admit it but I don't ever remember a quiet, polite, non-disruptive bus ride. Most of us were at least singing at one point or another, or barking, or bickering. And we liked our bus driver.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

goatboy wrote:There were no school buses when I went to school in the lower mainland a few... years ago.

Back when I went to school if you lived within a certain distance of the school, then you had to walk no bus pickup.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

I hope you liberals enjoy the fee increase....
dorito
Fledgling

Post by dorito »

Triple 6 wrote:it was originally 200 a few years ago and the price dropped for last year. I assume ridership is down and they need to re-coup costs somewhere.

I don't expect anyone or taxpayers to pay this bill; it's just kind of a shocking increase and will hurt a lot of families
Last edited by dorito on May 12th, 2015, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Logitack wrote:I hope you liberals enjoy the fee increase....

Fortunately the increase will be paid by all political affiliations. As it should be.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

GordonH wrote:Back when I went to school if you lived within a certain distance of the school, then you had to walk no bus pickup.

It's still like that. We have some kids though who, for example, live near the hospital but go to school at Dr. Knox way out in Glenmore. That's a bit of a walk. I'll pay whatever is needed but there are many lower income families that will really be affected by this.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Lower income families can talk to the school. I believe there is something in place for those that really struggle.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Back when I went to school if you lived within a certain distance of the school, then you had to walk no bus pickup.

JLives wrote:It's still like that. We have some kids though who, for example, live near the hospital but go to school at Dr. Knox way out in Glenmore. That's a bit of a walk. I'll pay whatever is needed but there are many lower income families that will really be affected by this.

So whos choice is this since KLO middle school would closer.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

GordonH wrote:So whos choice is this since KLO middle school would closer.

The school district. AS Matheson (Gordon and Springfield) students are put into Dr. Knox. The catchment area for Dr. Knox ends just a few blocks away from KLO Middle School.

http://www.sd23.bc.ca/Schools/catchment ... daries.pdf
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Central Okanagan”