Orchard Near House - Suggestions?

I am Canadian
Banned

Re: Orchard Near House - Suggestions?

Post by I am Canadian »

Which is worse, breathing it or eating it?
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Thanks for the corrections on the allowed fence height, good to know!
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Anonymous123 wrote:
Bingo.
There should be a buffer zone between this new orchard and the residential area. The land was previously used for hay fields which require no spraying of chemicals. If the OP is lucky it will be an organic operation.

The hay field would likely be in the ALR and zoned A1 (since I don't know the location, I cannot say for sure but this is extremely likely) so the OP has purchased a property beside ALR land which can be used for a wide range of farm purposes. The okanagan was based on agricultural endeavours and anyone wanting to live beside ALR, whether a pretty empty hayfield or a pretty blooming orchard or a pretty white fenced horse farm, should realize there is a downside to the INDUSTRY and BUSINESS of farming. Noise, chemicals (all legal and prescribed for use in Canada), workers, helicopters, wind machines, machinery use, storage of items etc., are all normal uses. That's why we have right-to-farm legislation in BC.....to ensure that some of the attitudes shown on this thread do not interfere with the farmers right to farm his land.

So, given that YOU chose to buy beside ALR land and YOU have a concern, you should open a friendly and non-threatening dialogue with the farmer. Perhaps state that you would like to be on an email list for spraying times. If you demand it, or say crazy things about it killing your kids, or that you will sue if he doesn't comply, be prepared to be told to eff off.
Try being nice, mellow, and positive. It can work wonders.

And, to finish off, I am not implying that you would not be that way.....but I guarantee some of the posters on this thread would take the wrong approach.
You and 71 others Like this post
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

That pretty much sums it up . Good common sense .
Strong and free
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

My recommendation is 2 fold:

1) Establish a relationship with your farmer neighbor. Ask him to notify you prior to spraying and let you know what spray(s) he will be applying. Make it easy for him. Do not expect him to come knock on your door. Suggest email if he is computer savvy. Also understand that spraying schedule is dictated by weather - your farmer can only give you about 24hrs notice as that's all the notice he has himself.

2) Educate yourself on these sprays. 3/4 of the time, they are not even spraying anything toxic. People assume "pesticide" every time they see spray when in reality the majority of the time it's not a pesticide. It's thinning sprays, dormant oils, fungicides (sounds dangerous but are almost completely non toxic), etc. Learn which sprays you should be nervous about and which sprays you just need to bring the kids/pets inside for an hour or 2 for.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Farmmaa wrote:
Unbelievably enough, the valley was based on agricultural land and orchards long before the residential buildings took over.

Why is that so unbelievable to you?

the area im referring was in fact farm land long before it was developed for residential.

It is irrelevant what was there first - the fact that both are there now, youd think, would prompt some thought given to the proximity between the two.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

monroe wrote:Why is that so unbelievable to you?

the area im referring was in fact farm land long before it was developed for residential.

It is irrelevant what was there first - the fact that both are there now, youd think, would prompt some thought given to the proximity between the two.

Thought has been applied. There are laws and rules around this. Every spray manufacturer releases a datasheet stipulating this sort of thing. If the farmer applies the sprat contrary to the datasheet he/she is breaking the law and can be charged.

What you are asking for is a blanket rule to separate agriculture from residential which is very impractical IMO.
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

I can't believe that answers that people are suggesting.

I recently had a good friend, who was a long time orchardist, pass away early in life in his early 60's. His wife followed him within a year. Their middle aged daughter is currently fighting cancer.

He was convinced that the sprays he utilized in his orchard were the cause, and commented that while he always wore the correct personal protective equipment while spraying, he later learned that their residual effects lasted weeks and months. His wife and daughter did not ever work in the orchard, but lived in the house that was located near the orchard, and would leave the premises on the spraying days.

The obvious answer that no one has offered is that you either accept your fate and the statistical shortening of you and your family's lives, or you move. There is no middle ground.
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

Really?

[quote="Joe Public"]I can't believe that answers that people are suggesting.

I recently had a good friend, who was a long time orchardist, pass away early in life in his early 60's. His wife followed him within a year. Their middle aged daughter is currently fighting cancer.

He was convinced - LOL, what is his scientific background? that the sprays he utilized in his orchard were the cause, and commented that while he always wore the correct personal protective equipment while spraying, he later learned that their residual effects lasted weeks and months. His wife and daughter did not ever work in the orchard, but lived in the house that was located near the orchard, and would leave the premises on the spraying days- So, in other words, it was not the spraying.

The obvious answer that no one has offered is that you either accept your fate and the statistical shortening of you and your family's lives - sensationalize much??, or you move. There is no middle ground.Now you are just spreading lies[/quote]
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

As much as it's wise to ask a farmer to provide their schedule for spray applications, let's not forget that it's also very weather dependant.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

Joe Public wrote:I can't believe that answers that people are suggesting.

He was convinced that the sprays he utilized in his orchard were the cause, and commented that while he always wore the correct personal protective equipment while spraying, he later learned that their residual effects lasted weeks and months. His wife and daughter did not ever work in the orchard, but lived in the house that was located near the orchard, and would leave the premises on the spraying days.

The obvious answer that no one has offered is that you either accept your fate and the statistical shortening of you and your family's lives, or you move. There is no middle ground.

...utter hogwash...condolences on the loss of your friend, as the chemicals used in years past were dangerous - times have changed and so have the products and application methods...just because you live beside an orchard doesn't mean you should get your affairs in order at the age of 35...stop with your "obvious answer" of fear-mongering...
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

TylerM4 wrote:
Thought has been applied. There are laws and rules around this. Every spray manufacturer releases a datasheet stipulating this sort of thing. If the farmer applies the sprat contrary to the datasheet he/she is breaking the law and can be charged.

What you are asking for is a blanket rule to separate agriculture from residential which is very impractical IMO.

Really, im only expressing some confusion as to the law not including something that accommodates an interface area or bufferzone between commercial and residential to account for the fact that when chemicals are sprayed it could afford the home owner some peace of mind.

That said, i appreciate your comments Tyler. Good to know and a breath of fresh air, so to speak, when compared to those posters who cant get their defensive "suck it up" blather out quick enough.
Last edited by monroe on May 14th, 2015, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Swoop wrote:
...utter hogwash...condolences on the loss of your friend, as the chemicals used in years past were dangerous - times have changed and so have the products and application methods...just because you live beside an orchard doesn't mean you should get your affairs in order at the age of 35...stop with your "obvious answer" of fear-mongering...

you be amazed, that even with the equipment and (some) updated methods for application, the danger is still very real.

- and to be clear, im not attempting to fear monger but only pass along what we've seen first hand. The fact that I would like to see better controls in place for spraying in/around residential areas has nothing to do with how I personally feel about farming here in the OK.
I think we don't have enough land set aside for farming, ALR or otherwise and I think its sad that this business is dying out.

Its just confusing that - because the law allows for commercial and residential to be developed so close, that there isn't more focus put on the safety and application of some of the chemical farmers use.
Saying that someone should just suck it up and that they shouldn't have bought out in the country is feeble especially in this day and age when the lines between residential and farm land are so thin.

Its not right that a farmer should have to be presented with a plate of muffins and a smile in order to expect they should provide me with a spray schedule or at least let me know when they're spraying something that could be detrimental to my health.
Afterall, in many cases, it was probably that farmer or one of their predecessor's that subdivided the land and sold it off in the first place.
- Law states NO they don't neeed to disclose anything; spary schedules or anyhting. Common sence would dictate otherwise.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Joe Public wrote:I can't believe that answers that people are suggesting.

One farmer getting cancer does not mean sprays=cancer. In fact, there have been many studies to this effect that have proven that spray applicators do not experience a higher than average cancer rate.

Here's the flip side. I'll tell you about my Grandfather. He farmed for 60 years as his primary source of income. In his mind DDT was "mild stuff". In his early days he sprayed a lead-arsenic mix. It killed moles, birds, and bugs. He was soaking wet with spray when done and wore only a raincoat. He used to reach into the spray tanks to stir/mix the sprays with his hand and arms. Most of the sprays he used in those early days have been banned as toxic. Over the years his techniques improved and he would usually wear a basic respirator at least. He passed away last year a few weeks shy of his 80th birthday. Funny thing - It took an accident to kill him. He will still in excellent health for being nearly 80yo.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

Swoop wrote:

monroe wrote:you be amazed, that even with the equipment and (some) updated methods for application, the danger is still very real.

- and to be clear, im not attempting to fear monger but only pass along what we've seen first hand. The fact that I would like to see better controls in place for spraying in/around residential areas has nothing to do with how I personally feel about farming here in the OK.
I think we don't have enough land set aside for farming, ALR or otherwise and I think its sad that this business is dying out.

Its just confusing that - because the law allows for commercial and residential to be developed so close, that there isn't more focus put on the safety and application of some of the chemical farmers use.
Saying that someone should just suck it up and that they shouldn't have bought out in the country is feeble especially in this day and age when the lines between residential and farm land are so thin.

Its not right that a farmer should have to be presented with a plate of muffins and a smile in order to expect they should provide me with a spray schedule or at least let me know when they're spraying something that could be detrimental to my health.
Afterall, in many cases, it was probably that farmer or one of their predecessor's that subdivided the land and sold it off in the first place.
- Law states NO they don't neeed to disclose anything; spary schedules or anyhting. Common sence would dictate otherwise.

...my fear-mongering comment wasn't directed towards you, but the poster quoted in my comment...I'm not saying all spraying is harmless, and certainly not suggesting anyone just "suck it up"...there's been some good, sensible dialogue for the OP to consider - however suggesting as the poster I was referring to posted, they either accept an early demise or move, is ridiculous - and pure fear-mongering imo...no on'es suggesting you make muffins and hold your tail to one side either - just some good neighbor common sense dialogue so everyone can live reasonably as neighbors...although as LANDM pointed out previously, it's surprising how fast some lose that common sense approach, get all uppity with farm owners trying to maintain their livelyhood, and are then miffed when their inquiries are rebuffed...

Return to “Central Okanagan”