This is Planning?

Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

This is Planning?

Post by Swoop »

http://www.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/PDF ... =122309862

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#140137

http://www.*bleep*.com/watercooler/n ... shore_Road

...who thinks up this stuff?...taking an already busy traffic coridoor, and reducing 4 lanes into 2 with an alternate turn lane...it's an arterial route - which should be designed to enhance traffic flow - not impede it further...why was Richter not looked at as a better location for a transit hub?...
Last edited by Swoop on May 19th, 2015, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Re: This is Planning?

Post by Troy »

Two lanes sure doesn't make sense to me either:
http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/14 ... nstruction

Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

...sorry Troy - I missed that link on the Castanet site previously...
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

They did the same thing, minus the transit, on Rutland Road a couple of years ago. Sometimes you just have to shake your head. At least it makes sense to have the buses stopping on Lakeshore, the Rutland bus exchange seems oddly placed, really quite ugly and despite being finished for some time now, doesn't seem to be in use. Go figure.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Kind of make sense as it goes from 2 lanes to 4 lanes ( for short length from K.L.O to Lanfranco ) to 2 lanes again as it is.
Now it will be all 2 lanes. Should work ok.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:Kind of make sense as it goes from 2 lanes to 4 lanes ( for short length from K.L.O to Lanfranco ) to 2 lanes again as it is.
Now it will be all 2 lanes. Should work ok.

Exactly. This isn't a big deal - I think it's actually a good move. That stretch of road isn't all that busy and the move to a single lane all the way through won't impact traffic flow much at all.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Jonrox wrote:Exactly. This isn't a big deal - I think it's actually a good move. That stretch of road isn't all that busy and the move to a single lane all the way through won't impact traffic flow much at all.

Try turning left (southbound) out of Mission Park in the summer. That said, the new turning lane may actually help this.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I never turn left there. It's a lot easier and quicker to exit the parking lot on the other side and turn right on Cook.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

Jonrox wrote:I never turn left there. It's a lot easier and quicker to exit the parking lot on the other side and turn right on Cook.

...Cook?...that's several blocks away - are you sure you're looking at the same area?...the current 4 lanes already have a turning lane, and on the contrary I disagree, as I find it can be a very busy area throughout the business day...reducing the traffic flow, and introducing more buses/pedestrian traffic will only further disrupt traffic flow...all that said - in further review, I suppose longer term this may in fact play into the previously floated notion of Richter being 4 laned all the way to 97, and Pandosy becoming more of what they're pushing as a village area and not an arterial route to the highway...would be nice if they implemented a better arterial route to the highway first - then introduce traffic reducing options at a later date...but look at our traffic system, and tell me they aren't known for putting the cart before the horse...
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

Jonrox wrote:Exactly. This isn't a big deal - I think it's actually a good move. That stretch of road isn't all that busy and the move to a single lane all the way through won't impact traffic flow much at all.

Gilchy wrote:Try turning left (southbound) out of Mission Park in the summer. That said, the new turning lane may actually help this.

...what new turning lane?..
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Sorry, meant Richter.

This change still won't affect much at all since it's one lane each way leading up to and out of it. It only affects people going into and out of the the shopping area. There is and still will be just one lane that acts as an arterial route to the highway. That won't change.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Only change is outside lanes turned into transit exchange. Pandosy/Lakeshore was never going to be 4 lanes.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
kelownawriter
Fledgling

Post by kelownawriter »

Richter wouldn't have ever made sense for a transit hub. The routes in question may cross over it briefly to get to/from the college but they don't service it. The last bit of Richter used as an actual transit pathway was scratched out last year.

That is really the best area as I see it. It is very actively used by riders, and it's not a patch of roadway that is just vibrating with traffic. It's busy but it's not so busy that cutting down the lanes is going to make it a nightmare. Four lanes is pretty generous for the traffic that goes through there. It's not difficult to find a gap to cross the street at, even during after-work rush hour, etc.

Return to “Central Okanagan”