Straight outta Rutland bumper stickers.

Palliser
Fledgling

Straight outta Rutland bumper stickers.

Post by Palliser »

I keep seeing this bumper sticker around town. It seems strange to me. I often hear people defending the reputation of Rutland and say it gets an unfair reputation especially from the media etc. What I dont understand is, if people want Rutland's reputation to be better, why anyone would encourage a negative reputation by creating bumper stickers that equate Rutland to Compton. (FYI: Compton is a super dangerous gang dominated impoverished area of Los Angeles)

I wonder who created these bumper stickers and why would people proudly display them on their vehicles if they are concerned about the reputation of Rutland. I feel bad for all the good people of Rutland who own property when others are encouraging a negative stereotype.

Am I missing something here? (serious question)
Danielson99
Board Meister

Re: Straight outta Rutland bumper stickers.

Post by Danielson99 »

Palliser wrote:I keep seeing this bumper sticker around town. It seems strange to me. I often hear people defending the reputation of Rutland and say it gets an unfair reputation especially from the media etc. What I dont understand is, if people want Rutland's reputation to be better, why anyone would encourage a negative reputation by creating bumper stickers that equate Rutland to Compton. (FYI: Compton is a super dangerous gang dominated impoverished area of Los Angeles)

I wonder who created these bumper stickers and why would people proudly display them on their vehicles if they are concerned about the reputation of Rutland. I feel bad for all the good people of Rutland who own property when others are encouraging a negative stereotype.

Am I missing something here? (serious question)

There are bumper stickers, hats, tshirts, mugs and tons of other merchandise with that logo on it. Here's my 2 cents. Rutland is what it is. Go for a walk down Hine Road and you'll see exactly why it's called 'Straight outta Rutland'. If the city doesn't care enough to change it what is anyone else going to do? It's part of life...get over it, embrace it...and laugh about it. By the way, I don't hear too many conversations with people actually 'defending' or 'attacking' Rutland. This entire topic is overblown....

I think it's kinda funny....
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Only a certain type would proudly have that sticker etc. Should I run through that stereotype?
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

Palliser wrote:Am I missing something here? (serious question)

Different people are different. A few bumper stickers don't represent the majority... Clearly some embrace a "tough" image just because they get a kick out of it, or more likely are just thumbing their nose at the stigma. It's a pretty mundane neighbourhood in a small town in Canada, where I don't feel any "danger" walking alone at night (in the dark even!). I'd guess the stickers are more a joke than anything.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

So let me get this straight......If you live in, or ever lived in Rutland, you should be, what....ashamed? Embarassed? What? I used to live in Rutland, still have great friends there, and feel they are made to show that the person is actually, yes, in fact, proud to be from Rutland. Just going out on a limb here.....would you happen to be from the Mission??
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

The tough folks (TIC) who live in Rutland wouldn't last 5 minutes in Compton or Watts.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

...this thread is a "Straight Outta Rutland" marketer's wet dream...
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I've lived in Rutland I got no problem walking around wherever in Rutland and done so mostly at night to cool off. Guess Rutland having the undeserved attention of being the butt of Kelowna as long a I remember, then having people parade around with what is a reference to a NWA track kinda rubs some people the wrong way.
davis123
Board Meister

Post by davis123 »

Scadam wrote:
Different people are different. A few bumper stickers don't represent the majority... Clearly some embrace a "tough" image just because they get a kick out of it, or more likely are just thumbing their nose at the stigma. It's a pretty mundane neighbourhood in a small town in Canada, where I don't feel any "danger" walking alone at night (in the dark even!). I'd guess the stickers are more a joke than anything.

totally agree with you..lol do people actually think they sell them cause Rutland is all bada$$ like straight off the streets of CPT haha its a joke people..facetious, sarcasm
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

jimmy4321 wrote:I've lived in Rutland I got no problem walking around wherever in Rutland and done so mostly at night to cool off. Guess Rutland having the undeserved attention of being the butt of Kelowna as long a I remember, then having people parade around with what is a reference to a NWA track kinda rubs some people the wrong way.

There you go.....undeserved, as you say. Many feel that way....undeserved. So, what to do?? Show your support for Rutland, buy a bumper sticker or shirt, instead of being the bully and saying these undeserving things about them.
Another poster was right, a bumper sticker makers wet dream....keep it coming, they'll just sell more! Also to note, they are made by a graphics place on Leathead Rd.....right in Rutland!!
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Undeserved doesn't mean unreal, at least in the mind of a good many.
Palliser
Fledgling

Post by Palliser »

I just found this article...guess this answers my question.

*bleep*/newsitem/wearing-rutl ... ide/it4006
Palliser
Fledgling

Post by Palliser »

jamapple wrote:So let me get this straight......If you live in, or ever lived in Rutland, you should be, what....ashamed? Embarassed? What? I used to live in Rutland, still have great friends there, and feel they are made to show that the person is actually, yes, in fact, proud to be from Rutland. Just going out on a limb here.....would you happen to be from the Mission??

Yea...not defensive at all.

I started the post by saying i thought the good people of Rutland didnt deserve having a bad rep but according to jamapple i must be from the Mission implying Im attacking Rutland I guess. Actually Im from Shelbyville and Springfield SUCKS! #narrowminded #sarcasm

Return to “Central Okanagan”