Pianos Pop Up In Kelowna

marooned
Board Meister

Re: Pianos Pop Up In Kelowna

Post by marooned »

Hate to relate it to Centre of Gravity, but likely related to Centre of Gravity.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Perhaps they were making a public statement about how much they hate music.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

that didn't take long....thought it would be sooner though....coincidently same weekend as COG...hmmm..maybe its not electronic enough
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

...technically - the piano wasn't touched...the stool was broken...maybe it was just a matter of there being a sign with a weight limit noted for the bench...
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Maybe they need harmonicas in the park instead.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I'm actually surprised it took this long for vandals to get around to the pianos and I find it oddly heartening that they just broke the bench and didn't damage the actual piano.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

She reminds users that all of the pianos were donated and most are over 50 years old and require gentle care.

“It is a learning year,” says Mills who adds they are testing what works and what doesn’t with the hopes of having even more success next year.

One thing they’ve noticed is that the traditional indoor piano benches may not be sturdy enough for the outdoor use,

I would not be surprised if the 50 year old stool had some serious weather related wear and tear and may have been damaged via normal use. Once damaged I could see some yahoo's having some fun with it and breaking it even more because "its already broken" . It does not make a ton of sense for a vandal with malicious intent to destroy the stool and not touch the piano itself.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I can tell for sure, the piano benches leg was already broken and has been for at least three days prior. I know, I was there. I'm sure it could have been fixed, but now its a write off.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

jimmy4321 wrote:Maybe they need harmonicas in the park instead.

I say leave a pile of accordians around and hear the mealee. or better yet, anyone have any bagpipes they're no longer using??
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

OREZ wrote:My guess is that it will happen about once a year.

Around the same time too ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

...and they're done:

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/17 ... ed-by-rain

I wonder if they'll try to replace them.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Don't see where the article says the program is done. Just 5 pianos are so deteriorated by the weather that they are trying to find a second life for them as opposed to throwing in landfill. Kind of a cool program IMO.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I meant these particular pianos are done, not necessarily the whole pianos in the park program. You'd think the reporter would have asked about the future of the program, odd that it isn't mentioned at all in the story.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Maybe they would have been better off going with the Tubas in the Park program rather than pianos.

Program spokeswoman Lisa Brown says five pianos must be retired because they no longer stay in tune after rain warped keys and swelled internal workings

... howd they not see that coming :135:
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

What? You mean to tell me that piano's don't last outside in the weather 24/7? Whowouldathunk?

Return to “Central Okanagan”