New home improvment store in Kelowna

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: New home improvment store in Kelowna

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

jamapple wrote:Not sure, twofingers. I do know that some American retailers will only carry Made in the USA!

LOL. Yeah Made in USA by way of China.

I'm not aware of much computer stuff that's made in North America.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Sounds like Lowes just renewed their bid for Rona at 3.2bill. If it happens maybe this will effect the move in for Lowes here in ktown?

Does Rona stay branded or could Lowes move into the Springfield location?
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

monroe wrote:Sounds like Lowes just renewed their bid for Rona at 3.2bill. If it happens maybe this will effect the move in for Lowes here in ktown?

Does Rona stay branded or could Lowes move into the Springfield location?

This is what I meant when I said months and months ago that things like another hardware store aren't really big economic helpers. So, now we know, they want to buy Rona. So, now, Rona employees, (some there for a very long time), that now have to go work for Lowes, and start at the bottom again, possibly with a pay reduction, as they are new employees of Lowes.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

jamapple wrote: So, now, Rona employees, (some there for a very long time), that now have to go work for Lowes, and start at the bottom again, possibly with a pay reduction, as they are new employees of Lowes.

Usually in a deal of this size where store level employees are impacted, they will be grandfathered into the new company and maintain the same seniority and pay scale.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

If the deal does happen - Location wise, it definitely makes sence to repurpose the Rona location when compared to the suggested location on Enterprise.

I hate to see canadian go but if Ronas other locations are similar to the one here in kelowna, then its probably a good time to shift.
Since home deopot, Rona honestly seems tired and a bit run down now.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I'm suspecting the rona location in kelowna will close.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

jamapple wrote: So, now, Rona employees, (some there for a very long time), that now have to go work for Lowes, and start at the bottom again, possibly with a pay reduction, as they are new employees of Lowes.

oneh2obabe wrote:Usually in a deal of this size where store level employees are impacted, they will be grandfathered into the new company and maintain the same seniority and pay scale.

jamapple, why would the employees be forced to start at the bottom?

My company (very large) was purchased by an even larger one and we're in the final steps of being converted from ABC Company to XYZ Company. We've already received and signed our letters of offer stating that we're all "starting" at whatever our salary was at the date of close, our vacation will be at minimum the level we're at now, etc. The only major changes are our benefits provider and changing from a pension to a group RRSP.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

If the deal does happen - Location wise, it definitely makes sence to repurpose the Rona location when compared to the suggested location on Enterprise.

Don't get your hopes up on the "Enterprise " location ever happening.

I doubt MoT will let anything happen without significant improvements to the roads around that site and the property owner is the kind of guy who'll spend a nickle to make that happen .. The city won't do it either .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

The sale of Rona is basically a done deal. With all parties in agreement, federal regulators have no reason to not allow the sale. Lowes will keep the Rona brand for the foreseeable future, but I don't see them keeping it forever.

A lease renewal is up for the Rona Location in Kelowna anyway. I suspect Lowes will negotiate a one or two year deal while the new lowes is built and then close the Rona location.
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

MAPearce wrote:Don't get your hopes up on the "Enterprise " location ever happening.

I doubt MoT will let anything happen without significant improvements to the roads around that site and the property owner is the kind of guy who'll spend a nickle to make that happen .. The city won't do it either .

They already have a development permit. As in the city approved it.
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

After the Target debacle you'd think American companies would be more conservative in their Canadian crossover. It makes more sense to me to renovate the Rona here then move it. But I don't think Lowe's will do well either. They can't even make a functional website. Their only hope is if they are extremely price and service competitive and maintain a proper inventory.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

At the press conference on the news they said that the Rona stores would keep the same banner,so I would think the Rona here would still run as a Rona.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: New Home Improvment store in Kelowna

Post by Ken7 »

GordonH wrote:Oh goodie goodie another American big box store.

I'm with you on that note, although have you ever looked at the deference between lumber- our US store has a much better quality in most cases! Not sure why a Canadian store doesn't keep its quality wood and export the 2nds.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

JLives wrote:But I don't think Lowe's will do well either. They can't even make a functional website. Their only hope is if they are extremely price and service competitive and maintain a proper inventory.

Have never had a problem navigating their web site. Their customer service is exceptional. Case in point ... after a major flood, a family member went into Lowe's with a 3-page list of appliances, tools, furnishings, etc. that had to be replaced. Lowe's assigned an employee to work with him until the list was completed - took 2-1/2 days to finish. Not only did that employee upgrade some items at no additional charge, they arranged an additional discount on the total order, free delivery of all items at the same time, and the delivery people placed each item where instructed by the homeowner.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
westbanker
Fledgling

Post by westbanker »

LOVE the Annacis Island LOWES!! need 2 days to fully enjoy

-way better displays
-waaaaay more selection
-you can tell they have way better buyers, as the product there is often not seen anywhere else, very cool

it's too bad Lowes isn't starting fresh with new staff/locations like they did with the Annacis location - can make or break a locations success when you inherit...

Return to “Central Okanagan”