Wasp trap solution

knoet2007

Wasp trap solution

Post by knoet2007 »

We are getting overrun by wasps. We made 4 traps with different liquids. some apple juice, home made, with a bit of sugar, water/sugar solution, and variations. 2 with a bit of meat in there too. Today I will try honey/water, but so far none have taken the bait.
Tips?
V-Rated
Guru

Re: Wasp trap solution

Post by V-Rated »

We are lucky this year, not as bad as other years!

How about beer? It might attract them more. It's worth a shot. Also have you tried those fake nests you can get them at dollar stores.

Good luck, and I sure hope nobody gets stung!

~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

knoet2007

Post by knoet2007 »

We have the fake nests, spray, etc.
I'm just looking for a good liquid for the traps :)
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

V-Rated wrote:We are lucky this year, not as bad as other years!

How about beer? It might attract them more. It's worth a shot. Also have you tried those fake nests you can get them at dollar stores.

Good luck, and I sure hope nobody gets stung!

~V~

Beer also attracts men.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Swacked

Post by Swacked »

Good ol Coca Cola works everytime
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

When we were at Ribfest in Kamloops last year (maybe year before) I saw these "disposable yellowjacket trap" by Rescue. The yellowjackets would fly right food or pop or whatever to crawl in there with their dying buddies. They were kind of gross - just a wriggling bag of dying yellowjackets - but very effective.

Anyway, I got a few and they work pretty good and exactly as I saw in Kamloops. I bought them at London Drugs of all places.

BUT I would suggest you may not have wasps if your trapping methodology isn't working .. have you seen the nest? If so then ignore what I'm writing but we thought we were being overrun as well but it turns out that what we were being overrun with is called a Mud Dauber (aka Mud Wasp) and they don't react to the normal traps that you leave for the yellowjackets that make the monster nests and ruin every bbq. They're easy to identify, they look like a skinny version of regular wasp but when they fly their back legs hang down quite far. Where a normal wasp will pretty much fly in straight lines, the mud wasp kind of hovers like a helicopter. The variety of mud wasp we seem to have around here builds a small nest - probably smaller than the palm of a child's hand - and they don't enclose it so the combs are exposed to the elements.

First the bad news - I haven't found anything that deters these guys. They're in our block wall and crawling in and out of the holes in there. I suspect if I pull the cap off the wall is just full of nests. Now the good news - these little guys are mostly harmless. Apparently they have the ability to bite but they rarely if ever do. They're docile too, they don't defend their nests. They would rather leave than fight I guess? seems weird, even birds will make an attempt.. So... we taught the kids how to identify one and we just swat the stupid mud wasps away.

Anyway, just some advice from somebody who was driving himself nutty trying to control something that wasn't there.
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

I had a huge nest in a outside wall years ago.
I used a vacuum to suck them up.
I filled over 3 bags in one day.
Do not leave the bag in the vacuum.
Remove the bag and wrap it in plastic bags.
They really stink after a few days.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Oh, don't hurt them.
I leave out half a fresh cantaloupe and some apple juice for them.
Everybody hasta eat.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
knoet2007

Post by knoet2007 »

HP wrote:When we were at Ribfest in Kamloops last year (maybe year before) I saw these "disposable yellowjacket trap" by Rescue. The yellowjackets would fly right food or pop or whatever to crawl in there with their dying buddies. They were kind of gross - just a wriggling bag of dying yellowjackets - but very effective.

Anyway, I got a few and they work pretty good and exactly as I saw in Kamloops. I bought them at London Drugs of all places.

BUT I would suggest you may not have wasps if your trapping methodology isn't working .. have you seen the nest? If so then ignore what I'm writing but we thought we were being overrun as well but it turns out that what we were being overrun with is called a Mud Dauber (aka Mud Wasp) and they don't react to the normal traps that you leave for the yellowjackets that make the monster nests and ruin every bbq. They're easy to identify, they look like a skinny version of regular wasp but when they fly their back legs hang down quite far. Where a normal wasp will pretty much fly in straight lines, the mud wasp kind of hovers like a helicopter. The variety of mud wasp we seem to have around here builds a small nest - probably smaller than the palm of a child's hand - and they don't enclose it so the combs are exposed to the elements.

First the bad news - I haven't found anything that deters these guys. They're in our block wall and crawling in and out of the holes in there. I suspect if I pull the cap off the wall is just full of nests. Now the good news - these little guys are mostly harmless. Apparently they have the ability to bite but they rarely if ever do. They're docile too, they don't defend their nests. They would rather leave than fight I guess? seems weird, even birds will make an attempt.. So... we taught the kids how to identify one and we just swat the stupid mud wasps away.

Anyway, just some advice from somebody who was driving himself nutty trying to control something that wasn't there.

Yes- them's the ones :( O dear! so the traps could be useless
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

Traps won't stop them. The risk;however, is mostly perceived. No more harmful than houseflies it's just that their colour raises the blood pressure. They like wet soil so if you have it around and can cover it up. I sprinkled borax on the ground and that seemed to slow them down a little...
deedub
Fledgling

Post by deedub »

Aerosol Brake Clean , works great .
diggermechanic

Post by diggermechanic »

use the yellow plastic type wasp trap ......they fly into the small funnel type holes. Fill it to the recommended level with pure papaya juice. It must be pure ....it comes in a box.....about $3.50 per box.
We have tried all the things mentioned under this topic and the above works the best for us.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Wasp traps are counter-intuitive. They simply attract more flies, wasps and bees and some will end up in your trap, where others will end up around you.

We noticed last summer was really bad for wasps while camping and the only option was a netted gazebo. I'd suggest if you're allergic you try something similar or if you're not allergic don't worry so much, they're not interested in stinging you unless you make it so.

Depending how bad your wasps are, it might be a good idea to check around your property and home for an unwanted nest.

Also, electric swatters work really well.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

knoet2007 wrote:We are getting overrun by wasps. We made 4 traps with different liquids. some apple juice, home made, with a bit of sugar, water/sugar solution, and variations. 2 with a bit of meat in there too. Today I will try honey/water, but so far none have taken the bait.
Tips?

Yep, get a pool. Attracts those things like a magnet. I must skim out a 2-3 dozen everyday. :)
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM

Return to “Central Okanagan”