Walmart sucks.

Yet again.

Thats a big 10-4, smokey!
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
MoparPrincess

Re: Dogs in vehicles and crimes being commited

Post by MoparPrincess »

Employers will understand....
I watched a guy leave his truck & go to the gym above my work. 30 mins later, my co worker called down to me and said, "There's a dog in that truck". So I go look, and yep poor thing in there, Windows barely cracked. I booted it up to the gym and yelled "Who's truck is out front with their f$&@ing dog?!?" Buddy all oh he's fine. Long story short, I basically told him to pack up & leave NOW. I had to forward our phones to go upstairs, no one said boo when I told them why. That was Thursday, when it was + 35....asshat
Today, I come back from lunch, same guy with his dog, is BACK!! SPCA has your plate # & *bleep* dude, I see you again, you won't have a dog
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story--1-.htm

We all know it's dangerous to leave a dog unattended in a truly hot car for any length of time, but it seems to me that it's getting a little overblown in the media. Not every dog in every car or truck is in distress.
He says during the summer animal care attendants will respond to a dog in a hot car even if temperatures are in the low 20s, as it’s better to be safe than sorry.

When the temperature is in the low 20s it might get warm in the car, but it's not going to get dangerously hot.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

MoparPrincess wrote:Employers will understand....
I watched a guy leave his truck & go to the gym above my work. 30 mins later, my co worker called down to me and said, "There's a dog in that truck". So I go look, and yep poor thing in there, Windows barely cracked. I booted it up to the gym and yelled "Who's truck is out front with their f$&@ing dog?!?" Buddy all oh he's fine. Long story short, I basically told him to pack up & leave NOW. I had to forward our phones to go upstairs, no one said boo when I told them why. That was Thursday, when it was + 35....asshat
Today, I come back from lunch, same guy with his dog, is BACK!! SPCA has your plate # & *bleep* dude, I see you again, you won't have a dog

Likely a roid ape too, they tend to be the dumbest. Should knock his window out or hook his lock and remove the dog, it is likely more intelligent then he is! Wonder what people think, did he just decide he had to go to the gym, or was it planned??

It is no different then going to Rona, leave your pet at home they'll feel less stressed and cooler! I totally dislike having dogs in Rona, I have health issues with straight haired dogs and don't even have to touch them. Stop it stupid people, "Ruff" can't pick out counter tops.....
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

At times, Walmart's policies regarding employees conduct is just ludicrous and antiquated. It's WALMART people not some secret nuclear testing lab! I totally agree with the OP...it IS pure stupidity to not allow employees to contact emergency services. When minutes can save lives Walmart tells its employees that only customers can complain? Potentially, as a Walmart Team member on parking lot detail, you witness an incident or notice an emergency and you have to run in from the far end of the parking lot, take more time to look around to locate one of your 'superiorly trained' Supervisors, who probably has to contact ANOTHER Supervisor (or maybe ALL the Supervisors) to collaborate with then THEY saunter out to assess the situation and commiserate amongst themselves and make the decision to call Emergency Services or not to call. REALLY?!?!?!? I get the no cellphones during work time but you send your employees out on a 'mission' outside the building at least give them walkie talkies or some method of communication so that they can radio in to ask for 911 to be called. I don't shop at Walmart for MANY reasons...but last time I heard pretty much every employee hired is at least 15/16 years old...surely an employee of that age can assess if 911 needs to be called or not! We see in the News stories of children as young as 5 calling 911 for help and the result saved lives. In general, I have a very low opinion of Walmart as a corporation but I do believe that they hire employees who can think and act as smart as a 5 year old. Give your employees some credit Walmart and perhaps one day it just might save a life!

Edited to add: Totally agree with Ken7 - LEAVE YOUR PETS AT HOME PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

Barney Google wrote:At times, Walmart's policies regarding employees conduct is just ludicrous and antiquated. It's WALMART people not some secret nuclear testing lab! I totally agree with the OP...it IS pure stupidity to not allow employees to contact emergency services. When minutes can save lives Walmart tells its employees that only customers can complain? Potentially, as a Walmart Team member on parking lot detail, you witness an incident or notice an emergency and you have to run in from the far end of the parking lot, take more time to look around to locate one of your 'superiorly trained' Supervisors, who probably has to contact ANOTHER Supervisor (or maybe ALL the Supervisors) to collaborate with then THEY saunter out to assess the situation and commiserate amongst themselves and make the decision to call Emergency Services or not to call. REALLY?!?!?!? I get the no cellphones during work time but you send your employees out on a 'mission' outside the building at least give them walkie talkies or some method of communication so that they can radio in to ask for 911 to be called. I don't shop at Walmart for MANY reasons...but last time I heard pretty much every employee hired is at least 15/16 years old...surely an employee of that age can assess if 911 needs to be called or not! We see in the News stories of children as young as 5 calling 911 for help and the result saved lives. In general, I have a very low opinion of Walmart as a corporation but I do believe that they hire employees who can think and act as smart as a 5 year old. Give your employees some credit Walmart and perhaps one day it just might save a life!

Edited to add: Totally agree with Ken7 - LEAVE YOUR PETS AT HOME PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find myself wondering if this Walmart policy is not 'just' about cell use and may also be about Walmart greed and not wanting to have any customers' shopping interrupted--probably more concerned about losing profit! Oh and to any Walmart employee reading this--do it any way or enlist the help of another customer to call it in for you! I would never ignore an animal (or anyone) in distress for any reason. Can you imagine the backlash from a headline "Walmart fires an employee for saving____".
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Temet Nosce wrote:
I find myself wondering if this Walmart policy is not 'just' about cell use and may also be about Walmart greed and not wanting to have any customers' shopping interrupted--probably more concerned about losing profit! Oh and to any Walmart employee reading this--do it any way or enlist the help of another customer to call it in for you! I would never ignore an animal (or anyone) in distress for any reason. Can you imagine the backlash from a headline "Walmart fires an employee for saving____".

RIGHT ON Temet Nosce!!!

For all those Walmart and other antiquated policy company employees out there...follow Temet Nosce advice, and mine too..."do it any way or enlist the help of another customer to call it in for you!"...."never ignore an animal (or anyone) in distress for any reason" - you just might end up saving someone's life!
Last edited by ferri on Jun 30th, 2015, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Before you start dissing the employees for not doing something you might want to find out what they can/can't do while on break. 99.9% of them have no qualms about calling in if they see an animal or child in distress. How about the customer who ignores 5 or 6 pages then gets in a snit when they discover their car/truck window has been broken so the animal/child can be rescued?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

oneh2obabe wrote:Before you start dissing the employees for not doing something you might want to find out what they can/can't do while on break. 99.9% of them have no qualms about calling in if they see an animal or child in distress. How about the customer who ignores 5 or 6 pages then gets in a snit when they discover their car/truck window has been broken so the animal/child can be rescued?

Not sure who the above is intended for OneH2Obabe, but I'm not intending to 'diss' any employees and I don't think Temet Nosce was OR the OP. Also think it's pretty clear that both myself and Temet Nosce, and others, feel pretty strongly that people should be leaving their pets at home during the hot season. I think, and please Kelownabusinessman correct if needed, is that the OP's intent was to point out policy that apparently Walmart has on employees calling 911. I didn't find the OPs original post (nor mine) as disrespectful to any Walmart employee or the employee that shared this policy with Kelownabusinessman.
- Unknown
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

Barney Google] Not sure who the above is intended for OneH2Obabe, but I'm not intending to 'diss' any employees and I don't think Temet Nosce was OR the OP. Also think it's pretty clear that both myself and Temet Nosce, and others, feel pretty strongly that people should be leaving their pets at home during the hot season. I think, and please Kelownabusinessman correct if needed, is that the OP's intent was to point out policy that apparently Walmart has on employees calling 911. I didn't find the OPs original post (nor mine) as disrespectful to any Walmart employee or the employee that shared this policy with Kelownabusinessman.

I couldn't agree more with Barney Google...I am directing my comments 'at' Walmart. I feel badly for the employees that must be such a difficult position to be put in and I am sure most are not happy about the policy....being in fear of losing your job if you intervene to an animal in distress--that's a horrible position to be put in! Another reason not to shop at Walmart!!! I say to those unfairly put in that position this is a policy to try to "go around" or "break" but I empathize and understand people need their jobs... but personally I could not follow that policy under any circumstances and I understand creatively "going around it" may be the only option for some employees.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Now, I have no first hand knowledge of Wal-Mart policy and procedure, but I do have first hand knowledge of emergency preparedness best practices as they apply to retail locations. And while managing a pet in a hot car wouldn't fall under the "emergency" umbrella, the process in which communication between the retailer and emergency services would follow these same best practices.

When contacting emergency services, it's actually a terrible idea to permit what could be dozens of associates to act independently. Even in higher profile security areas, it's happened when the same incident gets reported several times, and each time the description of the incident is slightly different.

It appears to me that, like in any emergency situation, it should be reported to a designated person (management, security, whoever is responsible for managing an emergency) and that person would be responsible for contacting the appropriate emergency services. The extra few minutes that it takes to report it to the proper person should be worth it by ensuring that it's reported accurately to the correct authority.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Exactly. Associates are instructed to report to LP and they will take it from there.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Kelownabusinessman wrote:I spoke to a young male who works at Wal-Mart here in Kelowna, he told me that while on break or pushing carts the staff aren't allowed to call 911 [i][i]if there is a dog in a vehicle or a crime being committed, the only way the police can be called is if a customer complains [i]I personally think it's pure stupidity not allowing the workers to contact emergency services when there is an emergency.

The above is what was presented and shared by the OP.

Frankly, if I was having a heart attack or some one was committing a heinous crime the LAST thing I would want or would think is that an Associate, (this term really chaps me), should have to RUN back into the Wal-Mart to report it to someone else and wait for them to respond. Surely to goodness Wal-Mart hires individuals with the enough wherewithal to know if they see an emergency or situation and need an ambulance, fire department or RCMP OR have the time to go report it and let someone else decide what to do.
As I stated previously, at the very least, these Associates should be given some form of communication device if they are not within the building and still expected to report back to a Supervisor or LP.
Seems to me that would be common sense....which seems at times often quite uncommon.
- Unknown
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Not sure if all outside store standards have the shoulder radio but will check next time I'm at the store. Must have been a new person on the job who was told this is the "rule book" that must be followed. All the regulars report asap when they see an animal/child in distress.

FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Barney Google wrote:Frankly, if I was having a heart attack or some one was committing a heinous crime the LAST thing I would want or would think is that an Associate, (this term really chaps me), should have to RUN back into the Wal-Mart to report it to someone else and wait for them to respond. Surely to goodness Wal-Mart hires individuals with the enough wherewithal to know if they see an emergency or situation and need an ambulance, fire department or RCMP OR have the time to go report it and let someone else decide what to do.
As I stated previously, at the very least, these Associates should be given some form of communication device if they are not within the building and still expected to report back to a Supervisor or LP.
Seems to me that would be common sense....which seems at times often quite uncommon.

What you perceive as common sense is actually the opposite of how an emergency should be managed.

Do you think public and private emergency management departments believe that, in the event of an earthquake or a fire, the most effective method to communicate is to receive reports by 10 people, and somehow continue to communicate with 10 people for updates? Or do you think it's more effective to communicate with one person, who is trained on managing the situation?

The latter is the proper procedure.

Using the dog in a hot car example, we may be looking at a situation where you have an associate outside, contacting the police. Customers, who also saw the incident, are inside the store now and they've also told other associates who, apparently without a policy to follow, also call the police. Now you have anywhere from 2 to 4 people, currently talking to dispatch services reporting the same thing. But now are they reporting one vehicle with a dog in it? Or 4? Which of the 4 is an accurate description of the actual event?

The first caller would know where the vehicle is. The other 3 may have no idea, because they're inside the store going only off of a customer's account. This scenario can apply to any emergency that a corporation experiences, and while your response sounds like common sense, it's certainly not the tried and tested best practice used in the industry.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.

Return to “Central Okanagan”