No floating parties, but you can drink!

pentona
Übergod

Re: No floating parties, but you can drink!

Post by pentona »

Treblehook wrote:Surely the intent of the law must have been to prevent drunkenness on the water, with the ultimate goal of making the activity safer and saving lives. All of the agencies responsible for and who provide safe boating information and training, emphatically state that consumption of alcohol and boating are unsafe and should be avoided. Obviously, this applies to the boat operator who is responsible for the safe operation of the vessel and the safety of it's passengers. Any adult knows that, as a passenger, being impaired on a boat is a dangerous condition, and should be avoided. Personally, I think the police should be doing everything they can to educate and discourage people from drinking on the water. When the police encounter a boat that has an intoxicated person[s] aboard, they should be strenuously encouraging the operator to put that passenger ashore. Perhaps the do, I don't know as have never had a drunk aboard my boat. I took the following quote from the British Columbia, Ministry of Justice website: http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/lclb/LLinBC/basics.htm

"Liquor and Boating

Since boats operate on public waterways, liquor may only be consumed in boats or other water craft if the vessel is licensed or it is being used as a residence. In this case, residents and their guests may consume liquor in the cabin or on the deck of their boat.

Having open liquor and drinking liquor in open vessels, small water craft, or vessels which are not equipped to be living quarters is not allowed."

The underlining is mine and done to emphasize the pertinent statement. From this, it would seem that the comment by the RCMP that it is legal for persons to have liquor aboard and to consume on boats is not entirely correct. In fact, there seems to be nothing ambiguous about the issue when it comes to open boats, that are not equipped with living quarters, which would include all ski boats, wake boats and a large portion of the pleasure boats that are encountered on Okanagan lake. I cannot understand why the police have not make this clear in their comments. If the police took the liquor off all of those boats, perhaps the lake would be safer?

I suggest that the RCMP are NOT up on Federal Regulations and exactly WHO's rules apply on Inland waterways. If they ignore public drinking on boats that do not comply, then why be out there at all, trying to enforce the rules. Maybe some education for the cops is required.
callotto
Fledgling

Post by callotto »

That quoter about consuming alcohol in a boat without living quarters is pretty interesting.
That seems to be discriminatory.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

callotto wrote:That quoter about consuming alcohol in a boat without living quarters is pretty interesting.

Are you kidding? If your point is valid, then the law needs to be amended to preclude drinking on ANY boats! No exceptions. See how that flies? I would be willing to bet that the provision allowing for possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages on boats [that have living quarters] was enacted to allow people who are living aboard or camping on their boats, to legally have a drink. Seems to make sense doesn't it. Kind of like people being allowed to have liquor in their A, B or C class RV's under circumstances that it can't be had in a passenger vehicle.
Last edited by Treblehook on Jul 14th, 2015, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

callotto wrote:That quoter about consuming alcohol in a boat without living quarters is pretty interesting.

...discriminatory? - how so?...
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

mck wrote:If I paddled on over with a cold 6 pack and a shrimp ring with some swim suit models in tow would I have permission to come aboard ?

The models would be welcome of course but really man only a 6 pack??

The whole issue here has nothing to do with safety but more to do with making the lake yet another place on the "No Fun Zone" list by using ridiculous laws. Who really cares if the passengers are having a few drinks, they are just passengers. If the boats are tied up to one another at anchor they are not being operated by an impaired driver, in fact they are not being operated at all.
The cops need to focus on impaired drivers, dangerous operation and inadequately equipped boats all of which are serious safety issues and quit getting their jollies by harrassing people for having a beer with a few friends on a hot summer day.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I would like to compare this to driving on the road. Is it permissible (I don't know...so I am asking) for the passengers in a car/vehicle on a public highway to have open liquor and be consuming while the vehicle is in motion? In this case let us assume that the driver is sober and not indulging.

Can someone please answer this without being smart a__. I think it would make a good comparison to boating.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

pentona wrote:I would like to compare this to driving on the road. Is it permissible (I don't know...so I am asking) for the passengers in a car/vehicle on a public highway to have open liquor and be consuming while the vehicle is in motion? In this case let us assume that the driver is sober and not indulging.

Can someone please answer this without being smart a__. I think it would make a good comparison to boating.

Liquor in motor vehicle
44 (1) In this section:

"motor home" has the same meaning as in the Motor Vehicle Act;

"motor vehicle" has the same meaning as in the Motor Vehicle Act, and includes an off-road vehicle as defined in the Off-Road Vehicle Act.

(2) Subject to subsection (3), a person must not drive or otherwise exercise control over the operation of a motor vehicle, whether or not it is in motion, while there is liquor in the person's possession or in the motor vehicle.

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply

(a) if the liquor is in a container that is unopened and has an unbroken seal,

(b) if the liquor is being transported or used in accordance with a licence issued under this Act, or

(c) in any other case, if the motor vehicle

(i) is a motor home and the liquor is kept in a cabinet away from the driver's area,

(ii) is a station wagon or hatchback and the liquor is behind the rear seat, whether or not that seat is in an upright position,

(iii) is a pickup truck and the liquor is in an exterior compartment, a space designed for the carriage of baggage or parcels or any other location that is not readily accessible to any person in the motor vehicle,

(iv) is a motorcycle and the liquor is not readily accessible to the operator, or

(v) is not one referred to in subparagraphs (i) to (iv) and the liquor is in the trunk or space designed for the carriage of baggage or parcels.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Ken7 wrote:Liquor in motor vehicle
44 (1) In this section:

"motor home" has the same meaning as in the Motor Vehicle Act;

"motor vehicle" has the same meaning as in the Motor Vehicle Act, and includes an off-road vehicle as defined in the Off-Road Vehicle Act.

(2) Subject to subsection (3), a person must not drive or otherwise exercise control over the operation of a motor vehicle, whether or not it is in motion, while there is liquor in the person's possession or in the motor vehicle.

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply

(a) if the liquor is in a container that is unopened and has an unbroken seal,

(b) if the liquor is being transported or used in accordance with a licence issued under this Act, or

(c) in any other case, if the motor vehicle

(i) is a motor home and the liquor is kept in a cabinet away from the driver's area,

(ii) is a station wagon or hatchback and the liquor is behind the rear seat, whether or not that seat is in an upright position,

(iii) is a pickup truck and the liquor is in an exterior compartment, a space designed for the carriage of baggage or parcels or any other location that is not readily accessible to any person in the motor vehicle,

(iv) is a motorcycle and the liquor is not readily accessible to the operator, or

(v) is not one referred to in subparagraphs (i) to (iv) and the liquor is in the trunk or space designed for the carriage of baggage or parcels.

I think that pretty much sums it up; thanks Ken7. Pretty sure the same rules would apply to boats.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

cv23 wrote:The whole issue here has nothing to do with safety

Just like most of the laws we seem to have now that focus on making enforcement easy and profitable vs. safety.

Really getting tired of it in general.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Tacklewasher wrote:
Just like most of the laws we seem to have now that focus on making enforcement easy and profitable vs. safety.

Not sure I'm with you.

I'd rather have a fellow tied to a anchor or mooring ball then racing around half *bleep* up!

Maybe I'm wrong.

I guess if one wishes to party hard, two feet on land are safer then falling off a boat while *bleep* and being chopped up by twin props, dancing half *bleep* in the dark, racing around while half intoxicated and the list goes on.
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

Boy! This thread sure makes boating and the laws surrounding it sound much more complicated than they actually are. I need to throw some ice into my cooler and fill with beer so I can head out on my boat and ponder this over a few beers.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I chose not to bother reading the rest of this topic. All I have to say is that the combination of water and booze brings out a special sort of *bleep*, and I have avoided using the lake for 15 years now because of special *bleep*.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

kgcayenne wrote:I chose not to bother reading the rest of this topic. All I have to say is that the combination of water and booze brings out a special sort of *bleep*, and I have avoided using the lake for 15 years now because of special *bleep*.

Amen to that. I wouldn't boat in this area if my life depended on it!! Way too many ding dongs out there! I prefer to just sit back and read about them.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Tacklewasher wrote:

Ken7 wrote:Not sure I'm with you.

I'd rather have a fellow tied to a anchor or mooring ball then racing around half *bleep* up!

Maybe I'm wrong.

I guess if one wishes to party hard, two feet on land are safer then falling off a boat while *bleep* and being chopped up by twin props, dancing half *bleep* in the dark, racing around while half intoxicated and the list goes on.

So, do you have an issue with 3 boats tied together and the passengers enjoying a beer while the drivers drink a coke? Because that is what the law is not allowing. And (like the damn no using your phone while stopped at a red light BS) it has nothing to do with safety but is just another idiotic law focussed on making enforcment easy and profitable. No need to check if the driver is sober. 3 boats tied up means no drinking.

As I said. I don't drink when I boat. As the usual driver of a boat I don't see it as any different than having a drink on the drive home so I don't do it. Does not mean those who are with me shouldn't be able to and the whole tied together thing is idiotic. But I guess we just have to accept that laws allowing a reasonable amount of freedom are less important than laws that are easily enforced.

I'm tired of it.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I'm a bit surprised at the anxiety level around using our lake from some posters. Alot of fear mongering, like this rules about tying up together which as I've stated seen police ignore most times and is probably there simply to break up large parties. I've probably spent over a 150 hours on the lake each of the last 15 seasons and have had only a small number of issues with idiots. I see more idiots on my drive home from work in one day than I've seen on the lake in this span.

Sure there are jetskiers who ask for it driving so close to others and the odd boat that drives too quickly through crowded areas but just like driving a car, as long as you drive defensively you aren't going to be at risk. There are exceptions of course and the media makes a big deal but for the most part the only damage most people will see is self inflicted.

When I think about it I've really had only one scary situation - knock on wood. I used to ride a stand up jet ski and was sitting in the tray of the water craft resting when a boat who obviously didn't see me caused me to start it up in a panic and get out of thier way. They both had a beer in thier hand, smokes in thier mouth and laughed like it was a joke that they almost ran over me. Jets skis have the ability to shoot water out the jet with amazing force over about a 20 foot distance so I just came up next to them, dropped the front end and wiped the smile off thier faces. As well as thier smokes, sunglasses, hats and beers they were holding. Some might say I was also the idiot that day but the look on thier faces was priceless. That's the only time that's ever happened.

I'd be interested to hear the stories from those who avoid the lake and what made them feel this way.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.

Return to “Central Okanagan”