COG on its way

Jonrox

Re: COG on its way

Post by Jonrox »

There were a ton of people around downtown Saturday night/early Sunday morning and I didn't notice any problems at all. Getting a cab was kind of tricky but we still made it home safely. The weather was great and it was really nice just walking around with my wife.

The rain late Sunday afternoon made for a cold time though.

All in all I think it was a great event and I had a ton of fun. I was there just for the sports and that side was run beautifully. I did eat like crap though and my body wasn't the better for it, but I don't regret any of it. Pulled pork on a cinammon bun was an amazing breakfast!

I've still yet to crave brains, so I think you're all safe.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Jonrox wrote:
Pulled pork on a cinammon bun...

Full stop. This is a thing?!?!?!? How was I unaware of this! Here my arteries have been blissfully flowing unobstructed since the deep-fried Mars bar Stampede experience of 2011. I've been missing out is what I'm saying.

Back, OT, I was downtown at the new Cactus Club on Friday night (awesome by the way), and everywhere was very busy, but no shenanigans to be seen. Aside from high-waisted shorts. Who decided those look good?
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Gixxer wrote:One would think the media would be all over this. So you have no real proof to support your statement other than hear say?

Well, wadda you know............

There were several drug overdoses on Saturday, and some festival goers were taken to hospital.

However, it was a pretty calm weekend overall with no real issues.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-144905-1-.htm#144905
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Too bad you have to wait to provide a link instead of relying on common knowledge that it's a given fact about these festivals huh???

I heard that the first kid to hit the ER did it on Friday...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

MAPearce wrote:Too bad you have to wait to provide a link instead of relying on common knowledge that it's a given fact about these festivals huh???

I heard that the first kid to hit the ER did it on Friday...

Yep, now that its on the Internet, it must be true!

Bet your wife is glad she missed all the fun.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Yeah .... fun...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

goatboy wrote:Well, wadda you know............

I think it was expected that there would be some alleged overdoses, but it doesn't appear any of them were "near fatal." Thats the kind of rumor that popular to spread around festival grounds that are not true.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Gilchy wrote: Aside from high-waisted shorts. Who decided those look good?

I know, right?
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

FreeRights wrote:I think it was expected that there would be some alleged overdoses, but it doesn't appear any of them were "near fatal." Thats the kind of rumor that popular to spread around festival grounds that are not true.

What makes you think it was a rumour?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

goatboy wrote:What makes you think it was a rumour?

That happens in festivals. I've done these for over 10 years, and it happens every time a minor incident occurs, it gets blown out of proportion. Plus no media coverage, there would have been.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

What makes you think it was a rumour?

Because he doesn't see his wife come home from a long shift and go straight for the children to give them big hugs and kisses with tears in her eyes...............
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

FreeRights wrote:That happens in festivals. I've done these for over 10 years, and it happens every time a minor incident occurs, it gets blown out of proportion. Plus no media coverage, there would have been.

Again, in this town the media only reports what they get told. An OD death would certainly be reported but a serious OD that is almost fatal happens all the time and is not reported to the media. That one happened at COG and not made public is not unusual.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Why does it even matter where the OD happened and how serious it was? As you mentioned, these things happen all the time so why does it matter if it happened at COG or not? People making terrible decisions is not the fault of the COG organizers. These people are making terrible decisions all on their own and need to take responsibility for their own lives and actions. Blaming COG lets the offender off the hook way too easily.

Maybe it wasn't reported on because idiots making idiotic decisions shouldn't be newsworthy, regardless of where they are when they're being idiots.

The vast majority of people who attended were well behaved and had a great time.

It will be interesting to see the reactions on the forums next year leading up to COG given the lack of problems, the lack of garbage and destruction downtown, and the fact that there were no confirmed zombie sightings.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

My initial post made no mention of blame, just the fact that there were OD's at COG, including a near fatal one. Whether or not you think it's important, it still happened.

Is that the fault of COG? Well indirectly it is as they probably wouldn't have happened if COG were not here that day.

With that all said, it was a pretty tame weekend this year with not too many issues.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jul 29th, 2015, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.

Return to “Central Okanagan”