Cycling Safely in West Kelowna

Retirees

Cycling Safely in West Kelowna

Post by Retirees »

I just want to generate some discussion amongst cyclist as it relates to safety. Much has been said about the need for more bike lanes and that is a whole topic in itself. I would appreciate opinions/suggestions on how cyclists can look out for each other. Recently I have encountered several "near misses" with fellow cyclists; particularly along Gellatly and even some of the quieter side routes (i.e. Pritchard, Pebble Beach area, etc.). This is a route that is commonly used by those riding Road Bikes because there is generally less vehicle traffic and it allows the rider to do multiple loops. Road Bikes travel at higher rate of speed and are quiet in comparison to Mountain Bikes. The near misses, including two this morning, are always the same type of rider behaviour. I'm in the bike lane along Gellatly traveling at approximately 24KPH on a Mountain Bike (29er) and a Road Bike passes me on the left without any form of communication! These "surprises" could easily result in difficultly for both riders. Any slight movement on my part (i.e. avoiding an obstacle in the bike lane) could have easily caused a collision. I have sought opinions from more seasoned riders, and all agree that a verbal "on your left" should be the norm. As cyclists, we have enough to worry about with vehicle traffic and the lack of bike lanes. We should not have to worry about each other. I would appreciate hearing about other folks experiences and/or suggestions on how we as cyclists can take care of each other.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Cycling Safely in West Kelowna

Post by kgcayenne »

1. signal every turn and stop.
2. get a bell
3. "Passing Left" is courteous, appropriate and should be done so only when able to safely 'take the lane'
4. Obey all traffic signs. I see far too many cycle riders blowing stop signs and traffic lights.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Follow the rules and expect all others are idiots and assume nothing.
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

1. Yes, an "on your left!" should be the standard.
2. If you don't want to yell it out, give over 5 feet of space. Sorry drivers, but this means temporarily taking the lane. This is my approach when passing slower cyclists on my road bike in loud situations where I won't be heard. Give a greater distance when they appear to be dawdling or novice riders.
3. Never get a bell - use your voice.
4. Always obey the rules of the road, the first of which is ensure the safety of you and others; however, this first rule sometimes requires you break the other rules of the road!
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Two absolute requirements for safe bike riding:

1. mirror
2. lights

As for defensive riding, on a narrow road where there's no bike lane you are absolutely safest to take the whole lane until safe to pull over. You're right there, very visible, and they can't try to squeeze past. Short of deliberately running you down, which they won't actually do, you're far safer. Then, once there's a safe spot to pull over, do so, to let cars go by.
Noilly

Post by Noilly »

Helmet...helmet...helmet!!!

Return to “Central Okanagan”