Shady Rest

Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Shady Rest

Post by Catri »

http://globalnews.ca/news/2185070/fish- ... -continue/
The best fish and chips in town for as long as I can remember!
I sincerely hope they find someone who will carry it on, the owner put it best:
[In] Kelowna everything I grew up with as a kid is all gone now and I’d just like to keep something that’s been around a long time,” says Pearson.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Shady Rest

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Have to agree about the fish at Shady Rest best in Kelowna, chips tend to be about average.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

i have been going there since the 80s.i hope someone local can buy it and continue to operate it as shady rest
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Hope someone takes it over and runs it the same..
The Pearsons have been at it since the sixties at least.. I remember leaning on the bridge rail watching the potatopeeler machine...... And stories of kids taking rides down the creek in the waxed fish boxes, till they got to soggy.. Even got to go on the rooftop part once, they had a dumbwaiter went up to the rooftop eating area..

Gotta be one of the smallest pieces of realestate in Ktown, except on Bernard.. Really tiny one beside KellyOhs..

There was more places like that in the sixties.. The Milky Way on Bernard was cool and had a very nice neon sign...not to mention the jukebox with orchestra..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I envy anybody who was here in the sixties.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Just looked it up. That property the Shady Rest is on must be one of the smallest in the city, at least commercially zoned anyway. Its only 60' x 47'. Thankfully not really of a size that a developer would show any interest in.
Have been going their for fish n chips since 1962 when my family set down roots in Kelowna. Have tried the others and they just don't compare. Hopefully someone carries on the business as it would be a shame to lose it.

As a matter of fact I think I'll go there for dinner tonight !
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

I remember it well, still go there once in awhile, but not often now that I am out in in Winfield. Back in the 80's I would go there for lunch at least once or twice a week as my highschool was very close by (same street in fact), and he would give us a fair amount of fries for a dollar.
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Speaking if fish and chips and highschools....
The one by the school in Penticton was very nice.. Went there in the late seventies when the old couple still had it..
Called Loves? Maybe..
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Speaking if fish and chips and highschools....
The one by the school in Penticton was very nice.. Went there in the late seventies when the old couple still had it..
Called Loves? Maybe..

You are correct, Loves Lunch. Owned by a fellow named Otto and his wife( can't remember her name).
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Thirty plus years ago when I was a wet behind the ears Kelowna Newbie...I lived just down the block from the Shady Rest. Have very fond memories of hungrily gobbling down the fish and fries...restraining myself from licking the newspaper.
A part of Kelowna history...shady, cool willow trees and steaming crispy hot succulent fish...salty,vinegar fries and tartar sauce.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

What street? If you went from Shady Rest down MGinnis, then left on Lindahl.. To the end of the street.. Then thru the fence..that was our backyard..
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Sutherland...YOU, 50-YEARS-in-Ktown, are a LOT younger than me, whipper snapper...I was livin in my first rented apartment(which I could hardly afford the monthly payments on) and, would stubbornly never admit it, but missing my parents and family life. The folks at the Shady Rest and the corner store down the block made my first lonely months in Kelowna tolerable.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

I was on Inkar road. Just around the corner from Shady Rest.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I don't know why people like their food so much.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

I used to live across the street and a couple of houses down from it. Damn good fish and chips... especially on a rainy day.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."

Return to “Central Okanagan”