What happened to CHBC/GLOBAL news at 11?

twofingers
Board Meister

Re: What happened to CHBC/GLOBAL news at 11?

Post by twofingers »

What a treat! Got to see a parade of stars on CHBToronto tonight.
Jane Curtin reading the news while Peewee Herman aced the weather!
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

twofingers wrote:What a treat! Got to see a parade of stars on CHBToronto tonight.
Jane Curtin reading the news while Peewee Herman aced the weather!

YES....Peewee Herman....you got it. I KNEW that guy reminded me of someone; just couldn't put my finger on it til now. thankyou.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

totoramona wrote:I also emailed Global Okanagan with this:
"We are longtime Okanagan residents and we are writing to express our disappointment at the changes to our local nightly news. We have been loyal CHBC and then Global Okanagan newscast watchers. When the recent changes came into effect, we were surprised and dismayed to learn that our local stories were being broadcast from Toronto. We believe in supporting our local economy and our local community members. We can no longer support Global Okanagan, so long as the program is broadcast from Eastern Canada. We will soon be tuning in to CTV News Vancouver. We sincerely hope you see fit to reinstate our local newscast."

Got the same response as others:

"Thank you for your message.
It has been forwarded to the appropriate department. We are using a new production model for our weekend newscasts and our 11:00pm newscasts to enhance our local news gathering resources and to keep pace with the rapidly changing television environment. Our local team still gathers, writes and edits our local stories, then they are sent to be anchored by our sister station - Global Toronto.... We appreciate our loyal viewers and value your feedback. Thanks again."

So I responded by asking if I would also hear back from the "appropriate department". Crickets.....

So watching CTV Vancouver is going to show them how much you support local television? Good luck with that. At least on Global Okanagan they are still reading local news.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

Who is the librarian reading the news at 5:30 on this week end.Mr Bookman would be impressed with her employed at the Library.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

maple leaf wrote:Who is the librarian reading the news at 5:30 on this week end.Mr Bookman would be impressed with her employed at the Library.

A very childish, giddy librarian at that. I love the weatherman that keeps trying to chase the weather graphics and manages to stand infront of the topic of the moment...............................wow, cheap labour and that is what you get..........
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

What I find especially amusing is that the "Eastern Block" has a hard time pronouncing local community names and seems to be clueless on where exactly some of these communities are in the grand scheme of things of the Okanagan Valley.

I really miss the LOCAL crew we had before this huge error in judgment on the part of Global.

GIVE US BACK OUR OWN REPORTERS!!!!!!!

An irked Otter
Auto1
Board Meister

Post by Auto1 »

I keep watching CHBC... (Notice that I still use the old name...). I keep hoping that it will recover...

But the people can not even pronounce names like, "Keremeos", or "Osoyoos", or "Naramata".

They PRETEND to be from here.

That is the part that really makes me sick. I mean, come on... Using things like "we" had?? No...

I wish there was another local station - does anyone know of an alternative?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Auto1 wrote:I keep watching CHBC... (Notice that I still use the old name...). I keep hoping that it will recover...

But the people can not even pronounce names like, "Keremeos", or "Osoyoos", or "Naramata".

They PRETEND to be from here.

That is the part that really makes me sick. I mean, come on... Using things like "we" had?? No...

I wish there was another local station - does anyone know of an alternative?

Only TV station in the Valley, so no alternative. Next Global TV station is out of Vancouver.

Oh wait there is Shaw Channel 11, unfortunately its only on Shaw.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

MAYBE it is time for a few businesses to get together and create a news channel for the Okanagan. Even before the "pretenders" took over Global Okanagan, I was so tired of seeing news that was 2-4 days old, too much news about Vancouver, and NOT enough news about the Valley. When I want to know what is going on in Vancouver, there are definitely other stations to watch or listen to. Here in the Okanagan, we have more than enough news to keep our own broadcasters busy.
I flipped over to CHBC just to see if the pretenders were still there, and, sure enough, they were. When is Global going to listen to us, their audience?? WE DON'T WANT THE PRETENDERS DOING OUR NEWS STORIES. WE DON'T WANT THE PRETENDERS DOING OUR NEWS STORIES. WE DON'T WANT THE PRETENDERS DOING OUR NEWS STORIES. How many times do we have to say it?????
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

damama55 wrote: When is Global going to listen to us, their audience?? WE DON'T WANT THE PRETENDERS DOING OUR NEWS STORIES. WE DON'T WANT THE PRETENDERS DOING OUR NEWS STORIES. WE DON'T WANT THE PRETENDERS DOING OUR NEWS STORIES. How many times do we have to say it?????

global obviously has not received enough complaints on this issue...

OR

they dont care what anyone says or thinks on this issue

i think it is the latter reason ;)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Logitack wrote:
they dont care what anyone says or thinks on this issue

Or maybe hardly anyone watches it or cares what they do or where the News is broadcast from...I don't.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Hey, Castanet. How about you folks?? Would you be interested in starting your own TV station??? I think that is a great idea. You all have reporters all over the valley, you are local, and your news is more up to date than what we have been getting from Global Okanagan. How about it??
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

I emailed a link to this thread to Global TV programming and scheduling team, in Toronto.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

A bit off topic, BUT
I'm tired of paying for the cable channels that are stuffed into the "Personal TV" package of Shaw.
The lower channels up to 13 are the "basic" that really offer two channels for the most part. That is to say if you are watching NCIS it will be available on 5,8, 7 and probably 27 at the same time.......likewise so many other shows.
Yesterday, there was literally MLB, Football, PGA Golf, WHL, and I can't remember the others for the entire Sunday, unless you want to watch repeats on the food channel.
There is no excuse except cheap programming. If you have the basic channels they could easily move another different channel into one or two of those slots and offer different programming for the price which you are forced to pay to even have cable.
More and more I'm seeing even our Canadian channels going to paid programming mid day for a couple of hours. I'm paying for cable to watch shows and they are giving us hours of COMMERCIALS that they are also being paid to transmit to us. Talk about rip offs.
I'm sick of being taken in by these channels and it is time that the CRTC stepped in and told GLOBAL/SHAW to provide programming that is not repetitive and effectively eliminating channels offered by repetition.

I have to laugh at Shaw programme on screen. What is the good of a PVR or other recording device..if you check tomorrow or even the day after it usually just says to be announced. The last Amazing Race Canada showed the show and then "After the Race" when I checked the day before and then later it showed "To be announced" in the After the Race slot. Then the night of the show it was back in the time slot. This happens so often, I get the impression that Shaw doesn't know what they are going to jam into the time slots until the last minute which explains the crappy repeat shows and multiple broadcasts of the same show throughout the weeks on Global networks and Shaw owned networks. I'm Sooooooooooooo tired of Guy and his Dinners, Drivein's and Dives.........he literally owns the slots on Food Channel!

How many times do we need to watch Amazing Race Canada..............TSN, CTV several times a week per episode. Home Free from HGTV was repeated several times in a week and then they actually repeated it on other channels.

The CRTC has to stop them from ripping their customers off or cut the monthly rates in half as they are not using the income to provide programming.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

watchkat wrote:I have to laugh at Shaw programme on screen. What is the good of a PVR or other recording device..if you check tomorrow or even the day after it usually just says to be announced. The last Amazing Race Canada showed the show and then "After the Race" when I checked the day before and then later it showed "To be announced" in the After the Race slot. Then the night of the show it was back in the time slot. This happens so often, I get the impression that Shaw doesn't know what they are going to jam into the time slots until the last minute which explains the crappy repeat shows and multiple broadcasts of the same show throughout the weeks on Global networks and Shaw owned networks.

As much as I am not a huge fan of most of the garbage that's on tv these days, I think you've got this bit wrong. When you're program guide has "to be announced" in many of the timeslots it's your cable box itself taking it's time (possibly having problems) getting the information from shaw, not shaw filling in the information as it goes. The schedules on all the channels are set well in advance, with exceptions for breaking news, sports events and so on. So the dearth of good, new programming and the endless repeats of shows on the "specialty" channels is not a last minute act of desperation, they plan it that way.

Back on topic, I've said it before, it would not bother me so much that our weekend and evening newscasts are out of Toronto if they weren't pretending to be local. The pronunciations of local names (I'd love it if something newsworthy happened on Guisachan Rd on a weekend) and using slightly wrong names (Southern Okanagan instead of South Okanagan in the weather forecast for instance, or Spallumsheen instead of Spallumcheen) make it obvious to anyone who actually does live here that the pretense of being local is just a big fat lie, so why bother?

Return to “Central Okanagan”