Nuisance Bears

Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Nuisance Bears

Post by Terris »

I lived among black bears, grizzly bears and wolves in the Monashees for 14 years and several years before that in the Kootenays. Only once did a bear come into the property and get into the garbage. I had dogs that kept them away and I occasionally fired a few rounds into the air to chase them back.

They are sentient beings that will respect territory when you define it by being proactive with them.

IMHO; The owner of the property in this story is a citified idiot and is wholly responsible for this bears' senseless extermination...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I don't think any of you preaching relocation understand that a problem bear is one that has been relocated at least once and has come back to become a problem again in that situation they are always going to return looking for an easy meal . I do agree that its our fault people leaving garbage out is a major problem I live in their territory and have a couple of neighbors who don't have enough brainpower to figure this out every year at this time I end up cleaning up their garbage that's been "relocated" to our property.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The one remark made about relocation had to do with relocating humans - might be a useful training tool.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

perhaps you should view the poll results also a use full training tool or continue being a smartass whatever blows your skirt up
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Sep 16th, 2015, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

LTD wrote:perhaps you should view the poll results also a use full training tool or continue being a smartass whatever blows your skirt up

Lmao "blows your skirt up"...that was a good one! I just about choked on my coffee.

I'm sure you're right about the relocation point--I get it but I love animals and especially bears and I am not ever calling any CO's. I don't have any little kids--none even around that I am aware of....like I said I will take precautions and wait for it to move on. I have a feeling it was unfortunately hit on the highway already though....
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

LTD wrote:perhaps you should view the poll results also a use full training tool or continue being a smartass whatever blows your skirt up

LOL - wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Don't care about the poll results.
I don't think any of you
I would have thought had to do with this discussion thread. There's been enough threads in the past that reiterates the hazards of relocating bears. They come back.

Temet Nosce wrote:[like I said I will take precautions and wait for it to move on. I have a feeling it was unfortunately hit on the highway already though....

That is too bad. I've seen signs put up along the highways after a bear has been hit by a car. Would be a reminder to drivers bears are around.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

UPDATED STORY: The teen attacked by a bear over the weekend as he slept in a hammock in Great Smoky Mountains National Park has been identified as Gabriel Alexander of Ohio.

The boy and his father, Greg Alexander, were camping when the bear grabbed Gabriel at a campsite, according to park spokeswoman Dana Soehn.

Although he suffered bite marks, according to park officials, Gabriel was stable and conscious. He was being treated at Mission Hospital in Asheville, N.C.

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/2015/06/ ... /28645819/

Wouldn't want anything to happen to a child sleeping in a tent in their backyard.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

How can you blame the bear for having a taste of what must seem to them like a soft taco?
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Neighbours were pleased to see the bear gone, said to Lockwood, because it had become hooked on eating garbage.

Lockwood said his office has received numerous calls in the last few days about bears in walnut trees. He suggests residents clear nuts and fruit from trees and from the ground, as it is a major attractant for wild animals.
Castanet

Relocating this bear? Not an option.

Return to “Central Okanagan”