Water providers contradict the mayor

Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#148655

I am glad to see this, when I first saw the story about how the mayor wanted to make a city wide water system a priority I feared that the utilities would be amalgamated. My suspicious side wonders if they mayor's position wasn't possibly instigated by some of the more influential folks living in SEKID's jurisdiction wanting to share the cost of twinning their system with the rest of us.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Water providers contradict the mayor

Post by kgcayenne »

The transition would be a nightmare, and costly as all get-out.

I wouldn't say the providers contradicted the mayor, I'd say the mayor contradicted the pre-existing KIWSP, and the KJWC is simply stating that the mayor spoke too soon. The mayor was also unable to recall the cryptosporidium problem in 1996. He'd have been 18, having just finished his first year of college at the time. I noticed someone called him out on this oversight in the letters section.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

The mayor is an idiot,this would be nothing but a huge waste of tax dollars.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Mayor Basran wants to improve the quality of the water that Kelownials receive at their taps. I think amalgamation of the five water purveyors is a good move. Four of the five districts oppose the idea. Just on the duplication of management as well as employees makes this a no brainer. More money could be spent on improving water quality for all residents instead of paying five managers, five assistant managers and countless employees that are not required should amalgamation happen.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/148655/Water-fight-heats-up
Last edited by Anonymous123 on Sep 29th, 2015, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

If you think the city wont replace those people after buying them out or offering them a job with a hefty pay increase I have a bridge for sale you might like in the end it will cost the tax payer a lot of money to fix what isn't broke !
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

LTD wrote:If you think the city wont replace those people after buying them out or offering them a job with a hefty pay increase I have a bridge for sale you might like in the end it will cost the tax payer a lot of money to fix what isn't broke !

A lot of these management positions will be eliminated due to attrition. No need to hire a new manager for a water district if the old manager retires. Now is the time to amalgamate or at least begin the process.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I agree that's what should happen however I also know that the exact opposite will probably be the end result
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Some of those districts' rate payers have built up funds that are being put directly back into the system as needed. What happens to that money when the City gets it? Would there be guarantees that the slated improvements would be made? I doubt it. Where does the city routinely prioritize? That's where the money will always go until 'those' people are happy while other service areas could well see their improvements brought to a halt.

(certain rate payers may have refused initiatives over the years and have to now play catch up---with much protesting)
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Central Okanagan”