Showing Respect

damama55
Übergod

Showing Respect

Post by damama55 »

Today, a young man, about 16, was riding the bus with one of his friends. Just smiling and sharing a couple of laughs. Well, the young man spilled a drink. The next thing we all know, he opens his backpack, takes some tissue out, and starts wiping up the floor where the spill was. Did that twice to make sure he got it all. We all smiled and told him thank you, and how impressed we were with him. He just gave us a beautiful smile and a wave as he got off the bus.
So, to the young man in the blue t-shirt, with "Thanks for supporting"..something or other; dark curly hair and just a very respectful young man. Thank you. We had never seen anything like that, and, neither had the bus driver. The bus was the #8, 9874, 1:35 PM to the University. The young man did not go all the way to the University, but got off in Rutland. So, Mom, you did a great job with your young son. He is a great example of a lot of the great young people we do have in our area. Kudos to you all.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Showing Respect

Post by MAPearce »

good kid... better story.

Well done young man.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
hype14
Fledgling

Post by hype14 »

My compliments to this young man :)

Last week, I was riding the #11 to downtown Kelowna when an elderly gentleman got on...He asked a young man, a new college student whom I had been talking to earlier, if he knew how to get to his destination as he had a very important appointment and he'd never taken the bus before. This young man took it upon himself to talk to the bus driver, helped the gentleman to a different bus and even offered to go with him so he could help...When I commended him for doing this, he smiled and simply said "I'm just paying it forward".

It is stories like this that brighten my day and let me know that respect does exist :)
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

I love the stories. Hopefully, we can fill many pages with great stories of people that that are "Paying if Forward". Please, keep them coming. How nice of that young man to help the senior. Sometimes we do get befuddled, and it is always nice when we get help like that young man gave. Thank you for sharing this lovely story. :)
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I don't think it's showing respect, it's more like simply doing the right thing.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

imo, its both
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

damama55 wrote: So, Mom, you did a great job with your young son. He is a great example of a lot of the great young people we do have in our area. Kudos to you all.[/b]

Not my kid but pretty much the best compliment a parent can get. My son may not be super successful but he's polite, respectful and generous at heart. Hopefully for his sake the successful part comes later but at this point as a parent I couldn't be more proud.
I think sometimes we focus too much on career success when as a parent raising a kind soul should be the real measure of success.
Great post damama.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

I love telling what happened today. This is the letter I sent to Transit today, to thank a couple of their drivers.
"Today, Saturday, I was at the University and a young fellow came running up by the heated shelter, trying to catch the 97 that was just leaving. He didn't and I asked if he was okay.
He said he had left something on the bus and was trying to catch it before it took off. It was a bag with a hat and a brand new $100 jacket he had just bought. I suggested he call the transit number. No luck. So, I said when the next bus comes in, ask the driver to contact dispatch to see if the driver found the bag. The young fellow said that he doubted if he would get it back. I assured him that people in Kelowna are pretty honest, and he probably would.
Anyway, the next bus in was the 23 and the driver was Giles. He called through and with the help of Control, and other drivers, the bag was found, and was going to be returned to the young student from the University.
Thank you to your drivers and to whomever turned it in.
Sure made my day to have such a great outcome. :)
Giles is always so nice and polite and always tries his very best to help, when he can.
Again, a big bouquet to Giles and the other drivers involved in this today."
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Today, while I was trudging through the snow on a poorly plowed sidewalk going to the bus stop across from Walmart, carrying a few heavy bags, a very nice young man, about 20ish, asked if I needed a hand. He was so sweet, took a couple of my heavy bags and carried them to the bus stop for me. I told him he was a God send, gave him a hug, and wished him a very Happy New Year. He gave me a beautiful smile, a hug back, and went on his way. Thank you, young man. You were very nice to offer, and give, me a grateful hand.
And, to the beautiful young lady that gave up her seat to me with a smile. Thank you. You young people are a great example of sooooo many of our young people around the area. Kudos to you all, that show so much respect to other people. I hope life treats you all well, and that you have a great year, and many years, ahead. :)
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I say good for damama55 for taking the time to...

-Start this thread
-Write Transit

Most people these days just complain. Most news is bad. Thus is refreshing
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

This morning, a young man that relies solely on his wheelchair to get around, got off the 23 bus just down from Motel 8. He couldn't get up the sidewalk from the bus stop, so two young me got off and helped him make it past the built up snow. This is simply ridiculous that this has to happen. Thank you to the young men that helped. As one said, "Hey, it was just the right thing to do.", with a great big smile.
Another example of our great young people in the area. :)

Return to “Central Okanagan”