Home Security & Recent Break-ins - Lake Country

ddiiaanne
Übergod

Re: Home Security & Recent Break-ins - Lake Country

Post by ddiiaanne »

FreeRights wrote:In this day and age, you invest in the security that you expect to enjoy.

My neighbours and I have enjoyed this security.
Doing what I can, with what I have, where I am.
ddiiaanne
Übergod

Post by ddiiaanne »

ddiiaanne wrote:Lately, I've been trying to hire or buy from local merchants.

About a year ago, I wanted a security system installed in my home. Looking through the yellow pages, I found a local supplier. Even better, the business was located very near to my house. I called and was told he was not going to sell me any sort of system. He went on to tell me that I'd have no problems if I'd only be careful of the people I invited to my home. There was more said, most of it was just making fun of me for asking.

But, seriously, I'm *bleep* at the local security dealer who wouldn't sell me a system.

So, thank you for encouraging me to post this and to keep it up.

But still.....I'm *bleep* at the local security dealer who wouldn't sell me a system.

Please, don't judge me by what you think you know.
rotti
Board Meister

Post by rotti »

You've clearly missed my message. Nobody is blaming the home owner, but he brings a problem. I'm not sure if the correct response would be exactly what you just wrote, which is literally nothing but whining and complaining and offering no real world solutions, or mine which does.

Whether or not you "should not have to" invest in any sort of home security may or may not be ideal, but it's certainly not true. In this day and age, you invest in the security that you expect to enjoy.

Actually I think you missed my message. We have a completely impotent justice system. We have no meaningful deterrents for crimes that may not seem like a big deal to some but the cost involved in replacing stolen items is expensive. Because there are little or no penalties or deterrents for crime it is a free for all. Just as an example let's look at a theft from a vehicle. Your vehicle is parked on your property locked and some punk comes and wants to see if there is any money in the ashtray and they break out your window and find nothing. You are now out an ICBC deductible, time, the use of your car. If the cops even bother to investigate and catch the punk, what happens? NOTHING! They are not even told to pay for restitution. What more than a locked car are you supposed to do? Same thing if they break into your house and even if you have a monitored alarm you still need to pay for the damage to the door, window or whatever and then your insurance goes up. Until we implement real penalties that actually deter this type of crime will it go away but the punks know that the chances of getting caught are very slim and if they do get caught it's a little slap on the wrist. So a real world solution would be to get rid of the bleeding heart society and make an example of some of the punks they catch. I would start with them paying restitution, if they have no money then take their car, if no car take their driver licence or something that will affect them! If they have nothing to pay back with throw them in jail again and again and again until they get it. A punk sitting in jail can't be stealing stuff can they?
kimjohn
Fledgling

Post by kimjohn »

ddiiaanne wrote:Update:

I just got a call from the RCMP. Someone has identified this guy from the pictures posted. They are coming tomorrow to view my video.

Apparently, he is a 15 yr. old kid who can't be charged anyway.

There are about 10 other people who had a visit from him.

First of all thanks very much for posting your photo and pressuring the system into dealing with this!
A forum that can give neighbours a heads up is also great.
A neighbour in my area (one of the ones mentioned below) had their vehicle broken into (Saturday October 3) and the foot prints around the vehicle look like a size 8-9 work boot prints. The twerp in the video looks like he is wearing runners. There may be others is the point here, so it maybe an idea to not let down ones guard.
I believe 3 nights ago there was another B&E around Davidson road towards the Okanagan lake side.
Areas that I'm aware of that have had incidents are, Okanagan Center east, Davidson road, Artela drive, Daniel drive, Hare road, Nighthawk road.
Please add to the list anyone that is aware of more.

There are wireless driveway alarms that are very cheap (50+-) and the audible alarm can be set either outside (a gate for example, anywhere) to potentially scare the intruder away or inside for those that may want to get up close and personal.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mighty-Mule- ... /202072041
Last edited by kimjohn on Oct 9th, 2015, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

FreeRights wrote:
That's great to hear that you and your coworkers are more interested to merely add to the whining than actually discuss or come up with any solutions.

For the record, home security doesn't have to cost much...

Doesn't have to cost much? Did you already forget that you told us dummies that you can secure it like a fortress, and judges stil won't look at it? I seem to remember you say that, now, you come back on here and contradict.....again.
kimjohn
Fledgling

Post by kimjohn »

Doesn't have to cost much!

Game cameras, if the link below works.

I wonder if these take better photos than some of the security cameras?

http://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&keyword ... swv8wt7m_b
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

rotti wrote:
Actually I think you missed my message. We have a completely impotent justice system. We have no meaningful deterrents for crimes that may not seem like a big deal to some but the cost involved in replacing stolen items is expensive. Because there are little or no penalties or deterrents for crime it is a free for all. Just as an example let's look at a theft from a vehicle. Your vehicle is parked on your property locked and some punk comes and wants to see if there is any money in the ashtray and they break out your window and find nothing. You are now out an ICBC deductible, time, the use of your car. If the cops even bother to investigate and catch the punk, what happens? NOTHING! They are not even told to pay for restitution. What more than a locked car are you supposed to do? Same thing if they break into your house and even if you have a monitored alarm you still need to pay for the damage to the door, window or whatever and then your insurance goes up. Until we implement real penalties that actually deter this type of crime will it go away but the punks know that the chances of getting caught are very slim and if they do get caught it's a little slap on the wrist. So a real world solution would be to get rid of the bleeding heart society and make an example of some of the punks they catch. I would start with them paying restitution, if they have no money then take their car, if no car take their driver licence or something that will affect them! If they have nothing to pay back with throw them in jail again and again and again until they get it. A punk sitting in jail can't be stealing stuff can they?

You're absolutely right that it's much more effective to be able to deter crime in general, but that's an area that security has no say in. Law enforcement, politicians, courts, mental health experts, that realm belongs to them.

That doesn't mean all is hopeless. One can still secure, to whichever extent that is necessary, a target or a location so that the crime goes elsewhere.

jamapple wrote:Doesn't have to cost much? Did you already forget that you told us dummies that you can secure it like a fortress, and judges stil won't look at it? I seem to remember you say that, now, you come back on here and contradict.....again.

I'm not contradicting myself, I simply assumed you were more knowledgeable about the subject. Please forgive me, as I was apparently wrong.

You can do a lot of home security upgrades that cost a lot of money, but it's far more cost effective to upgrade effectively. I don't mean getting a salesman either.

Though you seem to be fixated on courts, judges, etc. I agree that if they were more effective, that would be a benefit for all. The reality is, they aren't.

Security systems are typically not about catching the bad guy, but rather displacing crime from one place to another. If a criminal sees one place that has some physical security implemented and sees another that does not, there's a greater chance that the softer target would be victimized.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

To add to the list kimjohn put together, I've heard that another house on Tyndall (not the people involved in the shooting) had a break-in recently as well.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I'm not contradicting myself, I simply assumed you were more knowledgeable about the subject. Please forgive me, as I was apparently wrong.

There is no way I can look at this statement other than it being condescending ... You're not trying to make friends , are you ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

MAPearce wrote:There is no way I can look at this statement other than it being condescending ... You're not trying to make friends , are you ?

I'm sure most can attest that I'm usually very patient and open to decent discussion on here, but if somebody wants to accuse me of contradictions or being untruthful when they hadn't taken even five minutes to do a bit of research, ain't nobody's got time for that.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

FreeRights wrote: Even as a security management professional, I think it's absolutely silly to start accusing a person who walked through an open gate to pick up cigarette butts as either an auto thief or a break and enter-er. While I can appreciate that you're against crime, I think you should really take some time and actually learn the information related to it before pretending to form your opinions. That's also my advice.

What is a security management professional and what are you credentials? I'm curious, does this mean you have you BST 1 or 2..

I read further you are also "I'm a physical security consultant", can you define that one also. TY.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Crime-Stoppers/152191/Unsolved-crimes-DLC

These guys were spotted scoping out houses around Camp and Hare Road. Why are only finding out about this now?

I know someone on Hare who saw a couple of guys driving around aggressively in a side by side right around that time. She didn't report it though. Perhaps if it didn't take 3 months to publish these stories, some of the low life thieves out there might actually get caught.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Ken7 wrote:What is a security management professional and what are you credentials? I'm curious, does this mean you have you BST 1 or 2..

I read further you are also "I'm a physical security consultant", can you define that one also. TY.

I can absolutely define those terms for you.

Security management is essentially the profession that a person assumes when they are managing security programs, security personnel, systems, etc. A security manager is the same as an operations manager in other industries, with the focus on security industry best practices and general business management.

BST 1 and 2 hasn't existed as such in years - it's now BST and AST training. While I do have both, as most security managers do, that qualifies you to be a security guard and does nothing to add to the credentials of a manager.

I'm specifically qualified in physical security - which is essentially the protection of corporate assets (facilities, personnel, technical information, etc). My role is assessing risk and developing security plans to mitigate, and project manage the installation of systems. When you notice specific placement of security guards, barriers, surveillance systems, access control systems, lighting and locks, often it would be someone like me who would conduct the risk assessments and make recommendations to address risk.

In short, I work primarily in the private security management sector though I am assigned a significant amount of consulting and advisory roles in my area of expertise.

That being said, I won't be going into my qualifications here because it's a public board and it would be next to impossible for me to keep any anonymity. If you are interested, feel free to shoot me a PM.
ddiiaanne
Übergod

Post by ddiiaanne »

So apparently there is a new FB page for Community Crime Prevention in Lake Country.

For some reason, I've been blocked from the original Lake Country BC Crimes page and can not get accepted for the new page.
I imagine I must have upset someone, somehow...it's not the first time, probably won't be the last.

But anyway, my point is, there is being a second Crime Prevention meeting in Lake Country later this month.

Is there anyone who can please tell me where and when...I have much interest in this issue yet for some reason, I am banned. All the more reason why I would like to go....

Really hoping for information....

Thank you in advance for any info.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Check your PM.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Central Okanagan”