Farmers Market

Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Farmers Market

Post by Catri »

PDT wrote:When did they last have a market on Bernard Ave? The last I recall in the downtown area was a market over at the corner of Water and Sunset, across from Prospera Place, on Thursday evenings, I believe.

I wasn't referring to past markets downtown, I was referring to the current farmer's market (which operates two days a week) moving downtown and the bulk of the discussion here has involved using Bernard as the location. I just don't think that's feasible.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

There was talk of a year round market on Clement.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

JLives wrote:There was talk of a year round market on Clement.

Yep, out of the Fruit Packers Co-operative building..... I guess that fell through.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Catri wrote:
Have you been to the "FARMERS" market lately? Last time I was there there were an awful lot of jewelery/artisan products/crafts stalls and a fair few food services and even a few distilleries (mmm booze samples at 10am on a Saturday). The farm portions of the market are limited, overpriced and, in some cases, not even local to the Central Okanagan.

Oh I agree, they'll sell a table to anyone. But the intent is still a farmers market. They're not turning away farmers in favor of someone selling jewelry. If an artisan market existed, I suspect there would be a lot less tables.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Jonrox wrote:Parking could be a problem, especially if you're proposing to take over a large amount of parking in the Water Street lot. Don't get me wrong... I think the location would be better if the logistics could work. I'm just not sure our downtown is setup well for it.

I think it might work better if a less-busy street was the location. One of the cities I used to live in held a Farmers Market on a quieter downtown street, where parking was easier and there was a lot less congestion. I just can't picture a good spot in downtown Kelowna right now.

What are there three parkades within a several block radius?
Many office workers would not be utilizing them and parking is a non issue with ample available on a Saturday.
There would definitely be some logistics but all in all the downtown here is better setup than Penticton and they make a great go of it.
I really couldn't care less if the Kelowna market moved or not but have been to both this year and will not be going back to the one in Kelowna again, I would rather drive to Penticton which many people do, I run into all kinds of people.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

JLives wrote:There was talk of a year round market on Clement.

That quietly fell off the table.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

PDT wrote:I don't recall booze being there last summer, and there was definitely a lot more produce available last summer (any time) than what has been available so far this year and it's not even summer yet.

Booze is allowed now, I believe it is five vendors per market that have to rotate.
Well at least according to the demo girl.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Bottom line with the Farmers Market here in Kelowna is that it is nothing special. As far as their short available hours because "they have crops to tend"...........many have other jobs (if not most) that pay the bills and the Market is a sideline..........an overpriced sideline unless of course you do not have a clue that you can buy an amazing loaf of bread in this town for well under $7.00. They got the last of my money 10 years ago.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

lesliepaul wrote:Bottom line with the Farmers Market here in Kelowna is that it is nothing special. As far as their short available hours because "they have crops to tend"...........many have other jobs (if not most) that pay the bills and the Market is a sideline..........an overpriced sideline unless of course you do not have a clue that you can buy an amazing loaf of bread in this town for well under $7.00. They got the last of my money 10 years ago.

Some are sideline jobs, others rely on it.
I know of one that does ok each year, more than some people on the books do.
Speaking of bread, I bought a loaf from that yellow truck and was not crazy over it, will stick with my Cobs.
Last edited by fall on Jun 6th, 2017, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

If they can close Bernard up to Safeway for Fake Mardi Gras, and fill the streets with people that managed to park somewhere..
Then closing a few blocks for Farmers Market Sat morning would be easy.
How many vendors are TK members? They will probably help make it happen..no members..bet they stand back..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:If they can close Bernard up to Safeway for Fake Mardi Gras, and fill the streets with people that managed to park somewhere..
Then closing a few blocks for Farmers Market Sat morning would be easy.
How many vendors are TK members? They will probably help make it happen..no members..bet they stand back..

It would be great for business downtown also, they are always crying for people to shop local small businesses.
Two days a week would be a bit much but Saturday would be good.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

How about midweek where they are, Saturday in town..Win Win sounds like to me.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:How about midweek where they are, Saturday in town..Win Win sounds like to me.

It really would be. Like I said before, I am still trying to think of a market in BC not in the heart of downtown aside from Kelowna in my travels.
I am not sure why they can't or have not done the downtown market here?
noremac

Post by noremac »

I think they should plan to use the new tourism centre. Shouldn't be too long after it opens that they start to realize nobody is using it. It would be the busiest 2 days a week that building will ever see! AND they could use it in the Winter!! :up:
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

fall wrote:
That quietly fell off the table.

It did. Too bad. It was a great idea and location. It would fit well in this area. And I could walk there.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Central Okanagan”