Land Line / Cell phone

Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Land Line / Cell phone

Post by Bunnyhop »

You cant really compare cell phone pricing to the cost of a landline, unless you leave out data and texting charges. Most people use their cell phones as minature (but powerful) mobile computers, and less as a telephone. Internet browsing, GPS, phone book, banking, purchases, email, texting, listening to music, watching videos (movies even), so much more. And the occasioal phone call. A landline cant do all of that. Smartphones have changed the way we do things. The majority of cell phone use is for purposes other than phone calls. Even phone calls from a landline are less common. Live chat, skype, Facetime, those are becoming the "new normal". Not possible with a landline.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

It took me many years to convince my parents with their $0.07/minute long distance plan to not worry about taking their turn calling me. I don't pay a penny calling anywhere in Canada or the US and being on the road 2-3 weeks a month it comes in extremely handy.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Bman wrote:I haven't answered my home land line in decades.

Me neither nor my cell phone..... they are for calling out.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I haven't had a land line since around 2004. And I've only ever owned "dumbphones" since then. Absolutely no regrets or negative issues.
Your bias suits you.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I have a landline and a smart phone. The landline we screen, but we rely on it for our main source of connection. The cell is pay-as-you-go, no data (except the $5 a month text feature). The cell is used while I'm out, or while the kids are out where they will be phone-less. I listen to music on it and use the calendar feature (main calendar is on my desktop). I have one game on it, mahjong. I don't want to be one of the phone zombies walking around ignoring the world. If it rings or bleeps while I'm driving, I wait until I can pull over safely before looking at it (no bluetooth). Each has their place. The cell costs me about $100 a year or so. I know people who spend $60-$80 a month on theirs, and still maintain a landline. That I just don't get.
I haven't failed until I quit.
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

I ditched my landline back in 2006 with no regrets too. The last year I had it all I ever would get was telemarketers.
My cell costs me $28 total per month, which includes 200 day minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends and texting. All that was cheaper than my landline.
My cell is not attached to my hip at all times and it isn't in my front pocket for easy access when I go out. I will check it after work, it is in my living room while I sleep - not on my bedside ( don't get me started on *If there is an emergency* - I find some emergencies in the middle of the night can wait till morning )
People that have landlines and can't be reached usually get a call on their cell phones anyway. Time to ditch the landlines I think.
Saving $$.
~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~

Return to “Central Okanagan”